Announcing Zine Quest, a Tribute to RPG Zines in February 2019
Share this post
This winter, let us summon the ancient forms and blazon our sigils on portentous parchments!
Emerging in the early 1970s, RPG zines were hugely influential in the early days of role-playing game fandom and publishing. Inspired by classic titles like Judges Guild and Alarums & Excursions, Kickstarter is inviting creators to launch their own RPG-inspired zine projects in February 2019 as part of Zine Quest, a celebration of these influential documents.
“It's hard to imagine how role-playing games could have come along without zines,” RPG historian Jon Peterson recently told us. “Zines were the primordial soup where the ideas that became RPGs bounced around, combined with each other, and eventually merged into something amazing.”
To be considered for Zine Quest, projects must be RPG-related and they must be zines—they can contain complete RPGs, supplements, adventures, articles, interviews, art or even comics about RPGs. Read the complete guidelines.
Throughout February 2019, we’ll feature Zine Quest projects on a special collections page, in our Games newsletter, and beyond.
- Open Call: Apply to Become a Kickstarter Creator-in-Residence this Fall
- Kickstarter and Social Art Network Team Up to Support UK Artists
- Guidance on Crafting an Honest and Clearly Presented Project
- Kickstarter Teams Up with the École Nationale Supérieure de la Photographie to Highlight 5 Projects from Emerging Photographers
- Break Tradition. Break Habit. Break Expectations. Break Kickstarter.