Announcing the 2015 Kickstarter Film Fest!
Share this post
Not just Brooklyn. Not just L.A. For the first time ever, we’re bringing the annual Kickstarter Film Festival to 32 theaters around the U.S.! It’s our biggest festival yet, and we can’t wait to show you another selection of amazing, independent films that were made with Kickstarter. It’s one night only, so clear October 15 on your calendar and head this way to RSVP at a theater near you. (It’s free!)
To put together a great night at the movies, we combed through thousands of features, documentaries, and shorts funded on Kickstarter, and ended up choosing hits from Sundance, some groundbreaking animation, and one knockout documentary. The two-act program includes:
Screening at 7 PM (local time):
- What We Do In the Shadows: Three vampires navigate the complexities of modern life. From the creators of the HBO series Flight of the Conchords. Directed by Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi and successfully funded on February 12, 2015 by 7,204 backers.
- Afronauts: Inspired by true events. A team of Zambian misfits races to beat America to the moon. Directed by Frances Bodomo and successfully funded on April 21, 2013 by 264 backers.
Screening at 9:20 PM:
- T-Rex: The true story of a teenage girl — Claressa “T-Rex” Shields — who becomes one of the first women to box in the Olympic Games. Directed by Zackary Canepari and Drea Cooper and successfully funded on August 4, 2012 by 652 backers.
- Submarine Sandwich: The strangest sandwich we’ve ever seen. In stop-motion animation. Directed by PES and successfully funded on August 13, 2014 by 1,114 backers.
- World of Tomorrow: This stunning, award-winning animated short introduces us to Emily as she gets a startling visit from her future (cloned) self. Directed by Don Hertzfeldt and successfully funded on August 15, 2015 by 4,478 backers.
We’re so excited about the film festival because it’s another way to highlight the incredible work being done by filmmakers using Kickstarter. We want that work to be seen by lots and lots of people — that’s why we’ve also worked with organizations like the New York Times, iTunes and the Sundance Institute to celebrate independent film.
Two million people from around the world have pledged nearly $300 million in support of film projects. If you’re one of them, you’re partly responsible for this film fest! It’s because of your support that these films were made, that independent film is thriving on Kickstarter, and that creative stories like these are being seen and heard. So come see what you’ve helped make, and celebrate with us, on October 15!
- Presentamos Esto es Riso, una celebración de la risografía mexicana
- Introducing Designed by Artists
- Toward Better 3D Printers: A New Test From Autodesk and Kickstarter
- Mark Your Calendars: 16 Kickstarter-Funded Performances to Watch in NYC This Fall
- 2 Million People Have Pledged $100M to Art on Kickstarter