We Checked It Twice
As of Friday, Amazon has stopped trying to collect outstanding funds, and the full balance (totalling about $334,000) has now made its way through the tubes and into a usable bank account. This means that, save for a few stragglers, we can post a complete list of machine backers, in order of how much we like you (just kidding, you’re ordered by the timestamp on your pledge).
You can see the list here. You are listed by your Kickstarter username.
It includes backers at the $200 / $250 / $300 / $350 / $675 / $725 levels only. If you’re only getting swag, we’ll be sending that out as soon as we get all of the different items, and should be able to get all the packages out within a couple of days of each other. It also does not include the $1,000 level backers, who have been contacted separately. The only change we expect to make to this list is rearranging international backers who prefer to wait for a 240V-native machine.
Please take a second to find your name on the list and verify your position (use Ctrl + F to expedite the process; it’s a 1300-item list). If you’re missing or in the wrong place, the best way to let us know is by emailing email@example.com (rather than commenting on this update, in the Comments section or on the forum).
We also want to remind everybody to join us on the forum! We want to get to know you, and we want you to get to know your fellow backers (especially those geographically near you)! It’s also a good place to ask questions about the project (and coffee in general) and talk about your suggestions.
We also wanted to give you an overview of our activities this week. Nothing was particularly exciting or photogenic (we won’t be making much progress on the prototype until our sample parts arrive), but we did make some progress on a few administrative fronts.
What we’ve been up to:
- We’ve decided to go with a stronger, 1200W heating element (formerly we planned to use a 1000W element). It turns out that the price is almost the same, and the 1200W element will make the thermoblock heat up faster, shorten the brew-to-steam wait time, and help it keep a more constant temperature overall. Very exciting! (This doesn’t affect the transformer you need, for those of you who need one; we’re still recommending a 1500W transformer.)
- We talked to Jason Dominy of Batdorf & Bronson about the Dancing Goats blend that many of you have ordered, and how best to get you the freshest beans possible. Rather than buying up 400 pounds of coffee and having it sit in our facility until your machines go out, they’ve made it possible for you guys to order directly from their website with a confirmation code, which means you’ll get the freshest coffee possible. Nobody likes stale beans! We’ll post an update with more details on how to order your beans when the time comes.
- We met with the president of a local sheet metal and powder-coating facility - who also happens to be one of our backers - to talk about prototyping and manufacturing the casings. (We’re still working on getting powder coating swatches, which will come once we settle on a facility.)
- We spent a lot of time on the phone doing more parts sourcing, getting quotes, getting samples, etc.
- We met with an accountant to set up our bank accounts and tax stuff, which is a surprisingly involved process.
- We looked at office/industrial space to set up our assembly line, and posted videos here and here. (Not super exciting, but we put it up for those of you who want to walk in our glamorous shoes.)
- We started to look for quotes for outsourcing the casting and milling of the thermoblocks. Depending on the prices we can get, it might be more cost-effective and efficient to outsource this component, given our current scale.
We also just got some bad news about one of our backers, Hunt Slade of Safehouse Coffee & Tea, a roaster and café in Griffin, GA. On January 30th, their shop (and all of the equipment in it) burned in an electrical fire. You can go here to learn more about Safehouse and show your support!
That’s all we’ve got for now. As always, we’ll be on the forum and available by email.
- Igor, Gleb, Janet and Rachel
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
And they say you can’t get good coffee for $1 anymore! But your $1 is getting us that much closer to great at-home espresso - we couldn’t do it without you! A hearty thanks, and we’ll put your name on our website. Every dollar counts!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Shot glasses are more than just cute miniature versions of regular glasses - they’re great for your espresso, for your liquor, for growing tiny plants in...With a $10 pledge you get shot glasses with our logo! Just use responsibly.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Coffee is great for warming you up on a chilly day, but sometimes you need to take it to the next level and put on some clothes. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered (literally! - you like that?). Enjoy one of our cozy, and stylish, ZPM T-shirts. And the shot glasses are all yours, too.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Our machines do a lot of the work of making perfect espresso, but you’ve got to help out too. To show our gratitude, we’re making it as easy as possible by giving you the tools you require - namely, a fancy-schmancy tamper for all your tamping needs (probably just espresso, but who knows?). Add that to the t-shirt and shot glasses, and you’ll be sitting pretty.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
There’s no better feeling than unwrapping a box of presents - except maybe the feeling of playing with a bunch of presents. Forgive us for spoiling the surprise, but here’s what you’ll be getting from us: a shot glass, a t-shirt, a tamper, and your very own bag of artisan coffee beans. With our box of gifts, it’ll feel like Christmas in...whatever month you get your box of gifts!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
450 backers All gone!
For a $200 pledge, you’re pre-ordering one of our very first machines, a $400 retail value! It can be hard to be one of the first to brave new frontiers, but don’t worry - there’s no river-crossings or dysentery in store for you, just awesome home-brewed espresso.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
450 backers All gone!
If you want to boldly brew as you’ve never brewed before, this is your level. For $250, you’ll receive everything you need to craft the perfect espresso - one of our first machines, a bag of artisan coffee beans, shot glasses, and a tamper. And you can savor it while wearing one of our t-shirts. A $470 value!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
244 backers Limited (6 left of 250)
So you didn't manage to snag one of our $200 reward level machines and now you're sitting around all bummed out. Well, buck up, my friend, because we're not going to abandon you. For $300, you can still pre-order a machine. And our later machines will incorporate any user feedback we get from the early birds - so sometimes it pays to wait.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $350 or moreYou selected
114 backers Limited (136 left of 250)
We know you were just dying to pledge at our $250 reward level, but, you know, a lot of stuff came up, what with the holidays and TV being so good lately, and you never got around to it...and now it's sold out! Fear not, dear backer. You can still pledge to get our machine and box of goodies that includes shot glasses, t-shirt, espresso tamper, and a bag of artisan roasted coffee beans; a $470 dollar retail value! They'll arrive a little later, but the anticipation is half the fun.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $675 or moreYou selected
So you know you want our espresso machine - great! But you also know you'll have a hard time tamping whole beans. We're in the business of solving problems, so let us help you out. For $675, you get our machine AND a Baratza Vario grinder (a $869 value)! Grind away! (This is a 120V/US-shipping only reward level.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $725 or moreYou selected
You're clearly in it to win it at this point, so you may as well spring for the deluxe edition. Our machine, a Baratza Vario grinder, a t-shirt, a tamper, shot glasses, and a bag of Batdorf & Bronson Dancing Goats coffee (a $939 retail value). That's right, we will meet all your fashion and beverage needs. You never need to leave the house again. (This is a 120V/US shipping-only reward level.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
10 backers All gone!
If you’ve always dreamed of being a self-sufficient one-man (or -lady) coffee shop, this is where you need to be. For $1000, we’ll custom build a machine to your specifications (!), send you all of our ZPM logo products, shot glasses, a tamper, a bag of artisanal coffee, and your very own grinder. Now all you need is a patch of good bean-growin’ land in Colombia, and you’ll be set for life.Estimated delivery:
- (40 days)