All of your favorite landmarks, neighborhood hangouts, hot spots, and architectural wonders in one spot!
What is City in a Jar? Basically we take all of your favorite places, turn them into simple little icons and put them on pin-back buttons. It's a great way to show love for your city, or for that favorite place you visited once on a field trip in 5th grade.
We started City in a Jar with a set of 5 Minneapolis buttons/landmarks. They were so popular we decided to expand the set to 20. When those proved to be just as popular as the first ones, we thought...why not try to sell these at local shops? So we filled a big beautiful glass jar with 600 buttons, sent out a few emails to some of our favorite gift shops around Minneapolis....and got in! Then we made a simple website and submitted the idea to a few popular blogs, and within a week had over 2,000 hits and a ton of emails from people around the world asking for THEIR cities to be made into jars next! We then thought...sure! Why not make other cities?! Let's do it! NY was an obvious choice as the next city. With a ton of historic locations and a whole bunch of lesser known but still memorable places it was an easy one to jar.
Now, we want to make MORE cities into jars. In order to do that and still be able to pay some bills around this joint...we need some money.
"Money for what?! Don't you make a ton of cash selling these sparkling capsules of tchotchke wonder?!" you may bark. Well yes...actually we do make a tidy profit off of each jar. I think the pumpkin orange Ferrari in the driveway pretty much sums up the mad amount of button money we are sitting on over here. But that Ferrari doesn't pay for itself ya know. OK, so what would you be helping us get?
- Printing supplies
- Button maker supplies (puncher and presser - these things are WAY too $$$$)
- Fancy new label for the jars (seriously, this thing is going to FORCE people to buy a button)
- A new printer would be cool too
- Marketing materials to spread the word
That's BASICALLY it.
For helping fund this project we have come up with some AWSM prizes. Check over to the right to see what they are. Since we only have NY and MN done...the choice of buttons is a little limited...but with your help we will expand the selection of cities hopefully adding a new one every week. San Fran, Portland, Austin, and Miami are next in line...suggestions for locations to add to each jar are always welcome!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $2,000 goal
seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful This project reached the deadline without achieving its funding goal on May 18, 2011.
May 3, 2011 - May 18, 2011 (15 days)
Pledge $1 or more
- Thanks for nothing email ;)
Pledge $5 or more
- Name added to the City in a Jar website as a contributor - Digital download (exclusive wallpaper for your desktop or mobile device)
Pledge $20 or more
- Blind box of 10 randomly chosen buttons from NY and MN
Pledge $40 or more
- City in a Sack (a full set of 20 buttons from your choice of NY or MN in a little cloth pouch)
Pledge $80 or more
- 2 City in a Sacks! Give one to your Grandma! (your choice of NY or MN in a little cloth pouch)
Pledge $100 or more
- City in a Sack (a full set of 20 buttons from your choice of NY or MN in a little cloth pouch) - Framed and signed 10"x10" print of your choice location from MN or NY. (see picture of framed print in the description to the left)