An artistic compilation of stories by people who are taking risks to create change.
Hi. I'm Victor.
Last year, I took the biggest risk of my life. I left a job I loved to learn about design, business, and social change through 12 experiences/apprenticeships in 12 months. It has been a wild ride, to say the least.
Along the way, I have been inviting people to take their own risks and improve something in their world. People have been sharing all kinds of amazing acts ranging from adoption, to searching for long lost family members, to starting something beneficial. I called this entire project The Leapyear Project and over the past several months, a few friends and I have gathered a community of people in over 15 countries.
My final project is to compile a book of meaningful stories from this community. It'll be a beautiful and inspiring book that you'll want to keep around for a long time and share with the people you care about.
So, I hope you'll pre-order a copy of the book and make this project possible.
Ten reasons you will want this book:
1) Inspiring. We know there are a lot of bad things happening in the world. This book will be a reminder that there is also a lot of good happening.
2) Beautiful. This book will be well designed, simple, and memorable.
3) Shareable. It will be an amazing gift for birthdays, graduations, holidays, President’s Day, Cinco De Mayo, etc. It's the type of gift that will spark good conversation in any home, office, waiting room, or classroom.
4) High Quality. We'll use heavy paper, a beautiful cover, and state of the art printing methods -- all done here in the USA.
5) Offline. The book will include tweets, facebook posts, emailed stories, and photography. It will be a bridge between an online conversation and your living room.
6) Real Stories. It will be written by students, neighbors, parents, teachers, doctors, businessmen, strangers, and friends. Some of the stories are simple and lovely. Some are spectacular and unfathomable. All of them are told by people like you and me.
7) A global project. The stories are coming in from around the world and include an array of cultures, settings, and demographics.
8) Workbook. My hope is that you’ll read the stories and be empowered to see problems and create solutions. We'll use the last section to guide you through questions that help you reflect, dream, and act upon leaps you could take in your own life or community.
9) New Connections. Those of us who own the book will have a newfound connection among us. These stories could lead to new friendships with good people around the world.
10) YOU can be a part of it! Have you taken a risk to create change in your life, community, or world? Big or small, we hope you'll share it! Head to the website and share what you did/are doing and the lessons you've learned along the way. I’ll work to compile our stories into a creative resource around taking risks to create change.
Can you help make this book possible?
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who's it for?
The stories and experiences shared in the book will be perfect for a broad audience, from kiddos to grandparents. It'll be a beautiful piece to place on coffee tables, in classrooms and on bookshelves. Think of it as an artistic resource full of inspiring stories and guiding questions. Throughout the book, I’ll also share anecdotes and honest lessons from my own experiences throughout the year.
Who is helping?
I’m teaming up with a premier design agency in Chicago (GRIP) and a few very talented creative folks. Together, we’ll organize and design the book of Leapyear Project stories, pictures, quotes, and lessons learned.
What are the rewards?
Where is the money going?
The money will go right into the production costs: designing, editing, and printing. The team and I will use the best quality printers and paper to produce the book here in the U.S. Additionally, money will be used to create a digital edition of the book for iPad and Kindle. If we exceed the amount, we have great plans to continue the work that has been started through this project. So, go ahead and be generous on this one!
Share your Leap Story!
For those of you who want to join the community, there’s still plenty of time to choose your leap and share your stories + lessons learned. Visit our new Leapyear Project Website, create a profile page, and tell your story.
Thanks for being here!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- Compiling, curating and editing the community's writing & photography will have its challenges. I'm building a team of friends to help do this together.
- Delivering/shipping the books in a financially economic manner.
- Choosing the best printer for the project and working with them at a distance to create a great final product.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
An electronic high five. We'll send an email with a meaningful story from the book along with a custom #lyproject wallpaper for your iPad, iPhone or computer. + We'll also print your name in the back of the book as a supporter.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
DIGITAL COPY. This reward is for travelers and e-reader enthusiasts. This electronic version will look great and read well on any digital device. + You'll receive the $5 reward + Your name will be printed in the book as a supporter.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $35 or moreYou selected
PRE-ORDER. The Leapyear Project book. If you only want one book and nothing more, this is the option for you + you'll receive the digital copy as well and we'll print your name as a supporter. Of course, I'm hoping you keep scrolling. It only gets better from here!Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $45 or moreYou selected
51 backers Limited (49 left of 100)
BOWTRUSS. One copy of The Leapyear Project book + a bag of special #lyproject coffee from Bowtruss Coffee Roasters in Chicago. Let's face it, everyone pursuing change needs a good caffeine boost. Your name will also be printed in the book as a supporter.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $60 or moreYou selected
53 backers Limited (147 left of 200)
THREADLESS. One copy of The Leapyear Project book + t-shirt designed by Threadless community + your name printed in the book as a supporter.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $85 or moreYou selected
11 backers Limited (139 left of 150)
LIMITED EDITION copy of The Leapyear Project Book that includes custom designed slip cover with signatures of leapers from around the world. + your name printed in the book as a supporter.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
15 backers Limited (185 left of 200)
POSTER by DEBBIE MILLMAN, world renowned designer, previous president of the AIGA, and host of the podcast 'Design Matters.' You'll also receive one copy of The Leapyear Project book and we'll print your name in the back as a supporter.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
19 backers Limited (106 left of 125)
ENTIRE LYP PACKAGE. You get everything above: The electronic version, the Limited Edition version, Bowtruss coffee, Threadless gear and the Debbie Millman #LYProject Poster.Estimated delivery:Add $25 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $750 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (9 left of 12)
SPONSORSHIP RECOGNITION. We'll mention you as a sponsor on the second page of the book + Limited Edition Leapyear Project Book. If you are a company, we will include your logo as well.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (3 left of 5)
CONSULTATION. I'll meet you at any location in the world for a personal conversation about your idea or challenge. + Limited Edition Leapyear Project Book + Sponsorship recognition + Your name printed in the book as a supporter. (Please add $400 for international flights.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
SPEAKING. I'll come to wherever you are and share a lecture entitled: "Risking to Learn, Learning to Risk." + Limited Edition Book + your name printed in the book as a supporter. (Please add $400 for international flights.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (12 left of 12)
LEAPYEAR PROJECT DINNER. Private five star dinner hosted by Iain Boyd at The Glass House on April 13th, 2013. Iain is the Senior Human Resource Officer for SnapOn Tools and has been a close mentor and friend throughout the year. This is an opportunity to connect with a few handpicked individuals who are interested in further initiatives around design, business, social change, and new ways forward in higher education. I hope the conversations from this evening will spark remarkably meaningful connections, ideas, and opportunities for solutions to problems facing our communities today. (Flights are not included. Transportation to and from local airports is included.) Also included: Limited edition Leapyear Project Book + Poster by Debbie Millman + Sponsorship recognition.Estimated delivery:
- (37 days)