A multi-dimensional musical spectacular filled with singing and dinosaurs and most of all, chaos. 3D theater at its finest!
Final Week: STRETCH GOALS!
This section is about stretch goals. To learn what JPTM3D is all about, jump down to the next section.
For the last week of Jurassic Park: The Musical: 3D on Kickstarter, we're introducing some stretch goals. The primary reason for these new goals is to allow us to give back to our backers. We've been blown away by the excitement for this project -- especially coming from backers who won't be able to attend the show in Lincoln. Each stretch goal we reach means we'll be able to send backers a little bit more in return for their generosity.
- If the project reaches $3,500, we'll give a PDF of the complete JPTM3D script to all backers at the $15 level (and above). Then you can print it out and put it in a semi-transparent plastic binder!
- At $4,000, every $25 backer (and above) will get a download of our recent radio drama, "Dr. Thoreau and His Island Full of Dinosaurs." Not only is DTaHIFoD over an hour of human-mouth sound effects, bizarre voices, unexpected plot twists, and a character named "Gorl" ...it's also a pseudo-prequel to JPTM3D, and hearing it will give you a deeper insight into the tragedy at Isla Nublar.
- At $4,500, we'll send a set of JPTM3D buttons to all backers at the $50 level (and above). The button designs are not yet finalized, but here are some mock-ups that give you a sense of what they'll probably end up looking like. You can use your 3D glasses on 'em!
- If we reach $5,000, backers at the $50 level (and above) will get not just the beautiful JPTM3D poster, but also the equally stunning "Dr. Thoreau and His Island Full of Dinosaurs" poster pictured above. Both will be printed on high-quality poster paper.
- And if the project goes all the way to $6,000, every backer at the $100 level (and above) will receive a limited-edition JPTM3D t-shirt! We're still working on the final t-shirt design, but we guarantee you'll be getting a soft, stylish conversation starter. As we have no image of the t-shirt yet, we'll just leave you with an anaglyph of everybody's favorite chaotician.
What's a "Colonel Mustard"?
The Colonel Mustard Amateur Attic Theatre Company is a nonprofit arts collaborative located in Lincoln, Nebraska. We know how to bring big ideas to life with lots of hard work, lots of planning, lots of practice -- and a little bit of money. We’re asking you to help us bring our biggest idea yet to life...
JPTM3D will premiere August 23-24 on the grassy lot at the corner of 9th and 'D' Streets in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Uh... do you have any idea what you're doing?
Back in 2009 we wrote, produced, and performed our first musical... it was based on Jurassic Park. You may have seen it on the internet, or not. Since then we’ve created three more -- Dr. Quinn: The Musical, X Files: The Musical, and last year’s choose your-own-adventure spectacle, Gods of the Prairie. We were elated when both XFTM and GOTP were chosen as Kickstarter's Project of the Day and received wonderful support from the Kickstarter community. Gods of the Prairie was recently honored as the Outstanding Art Event of 2012 by the Lincoln Arts Council. We performed all these shows outdoors, offering them free to the public. Here's a clip from our original production of Jurassic Park: The Musical.
We're continuing our mission of bringing surprising, free theater to Lincoln with Jurassic Park: The Musical: 3D. We’ve learned a lot in the last four years, and JPTM3D is an all new experience. It’s not just a slightly updated version of our original Jurassic Park musical. Instead, we’ve re-written the entire script and score. And then we made it 3D.
What do you mean by "3D"?
You’re probably wondering how a musical can be 3D. Let us explain. First, we’re building a giant wall to enclose our audience -- even though they’ll be outside, they’ll feel like they’re inside Jurassic Park. The audience will sit in the middle of this enclosed area, as you might expect. But unlike every other play you’ve seen, Jurassic Park: The Musical: 3D completely surrounds the audience. The action can take place at any point along the wall, or above it, or in the middle of the crowd. Sometimes things will be happening in all these places at once. It’s like theater-in-the-round, but in reverse! Instead of the audience encircling the stage, the stage encircles the audience. It’s full, 360-degree immersion, and it will allow us to do some amazing things with our actors and our giant dinosaur puppets.
Why do you want my money?
With your help, Jurassic Park: The Musical: 3D will be the most spectacular piece of free outdoor theater we've ever willed into existence. We need funding for three major parts of this production:
- First, we need to build a wall for enclosing the audience that is tall, sturdy, and beautiful to look at. The enclosure will be a huge element of the JPTM3D experience, so we want to build the best wall we can.
- Second, we’re going to be cloning some dinosaurs. The T-Rex we’re planning to make is elaborate and requires multiple puppeteers. We also need to build specialized puppets to create a sick Triceratops, awe-inspiring Brachiosaurs (also sick), and dozens of swarming Gallimimus (not sick, as far as we know).
- Finally, we’re hoping to buy some of our own sound equipment for this show. For past musicals, we’ve stretched our shoe-string budget to the limit and borrowed one-hundred percent of the sound equipment. If we can purchase even a few microphones, it will make a huge difference in our ability to plan and practice for the show, and it will improve the quality of the cast recording as well.
There are literally hundreds of other small expenses that go into making a musical like this -- from costumes, to lighting, to providing meager amounts of food for over a hundred volunteer cast, crew and orchestra members -- but we're hoping to raise money through Kickstarter for these three specific expenses: the wall, the dinosaurs, and sound equipment.
Enough! Tell me about the rewards...
Our past musicals have been totally open-air events, so there was hardly a limit on the number of people who could attend. Our audience has grown from around 200 people at the original Jurassic Park: The Musical to an estimated 1,200 over two nights at last summer's Gods of the Prairie. Because JPTM3D is our first enclosed musical, we have to limit the size of the crowd to roughly 600 each night. This is a safety issue -- we just can’t pack that enclosure too full. This makes our Kickstarter rewards especially important!
- A donation of $15 will earn you one guaranteed ticket to see JPTM3D, plus a download of the music from the show, and a $25 donation is worth two tickets, plus the downloadable music and a video recording of the musical. Like all Mustard musicals, JPTM3D will be offered free to the public on a first-come, first-served basis. But we’re expecting to have to turn people away due to space limitations, so getting tickets as Kickstarter rewards is the only way to guarantee a spot in the audience. Listen below for a quick preview of the show's overture. Don't worry, this preview is just our animatronic orchestra -- we'll be using real musicians for the actual show.
- At the $50 level, you can even get a beautiful print of our JPTM3D poster, which incorporates a painting of Ian Malcolm called "From Chaos" by portrait artist and Jurassic Park enthusiast John Larriva. Here's that poster again:
- And if you give $100, you'll get all that good stuff plus one of our artists will personally draw you as a dinosaur of your choice. You can't beat that.
We hope you'll join us in our efforts to bring free, strange, and unabashedly entertaining theater to Lincoln. Please support Jurassic Park: The Musical: 3D. Thank you!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
"Jurassic Park: The Musical: 3D" is the biggest project we’ve undertaken in many ways. The cast is enormous, the orchestra is bigger than ever before, and the difficulties of staging theater in a totally unorthodox way are substantial. But we’ve done huge and unexpected things before, and we’re ready to do them again. The script and score are written, the actors and musicians are already rehearsing, and the crew is planning the set -- we just need a little of your help to bring this dream to life.
The official performance dates of JPTM3D are August 23rd and 24th. We may also be performing a preview show on August 22nd.
The start time will be the same each of those nights, but it has yet to be officially decided. We are planning for the play to begin before the sun sets and end in the dark. This means the show will probably start sometime between 7:00 and 7:30pm. When we are closer to date of the show, we'll announce the official start time on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/colonelmustardtheatre) and through a Kickstarter update.
I want the downloads or the poster, but I live too far away to make use of the tickets to the show. Why isn't there a reward level where I don't have to "pay" for the tickets to get these other cool rewards?
We consider the tickets that guarantee entrance to JPTM3D as a bonus on top of the other rewards (the downloads at lower tiers and the poster, personalized drawing, and hard-cover book at the higher tiers). Since the tickets are for a show that is presented for free and thus have no cash value, they are a perk for people who live close enough to Lincoln to attend.
We've offered a video of the show at the $25 level for both of our past Kickstarter-funded musicals ("X Files: The Musical" and "Gods of the Prairie"), and we feel like $25 is a good value for these rewards. We've probably undervalued the music from the show at $5, but we wanted to make something real and interesting available at our lowest reward tier instead of just offering internet thank you's.
The $50 level is truly the lowest reward level that allows us to offer a large, full-color poster. Printing high-quality posters and shipping them is going to cost us between $15 and $20 per poster, depending on how many total posters we end up making.
So -- on the $50 donations, we're spending much of the money donated on reward fulfillment instead of being able to put that money directly into the production of JPTM3D. But we wanted to offer the poster at the absolute lowest level we could afford, so more people will be able to get one. Because it's a really cool poster! We love it.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ BABY RAPTOR ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ First of all, our ETERNAL GRATITUDE, and also our digital gratitude, in the form of a THANK YOU on Twitter or Facebook. Plus a download of the MUSIC from the the show! Features 12 original songs performed by the cast of JPTM3D -- our best music yet! And you'll get to download our thrilling JPTM3D POSTER, which would make an eye-catching background for your computer or mobile device. That's lots of great stuff for five bucks!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ GALLIMIMUS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ONE TICKET to JPTM3D! The show is free as always, but seating is limited. Your ticket guarantees that you'll see the show on the night of your choice (August 23rd or 24th). Plus a download of MUSIC from the show! Welcome... to Jurassic Park.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DILOPHOSAURUS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ TWO TICKETS to the show on the night of your choice. Plus downloads of the VIDEO from the show and the MUSIC from the show. There is no doubt that these rewards will drive kids out of their minds.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ VELOCIRAPTOR ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ A high-quality print of the JPTM3D POSTER! You'll also receive FOUR TICKETS to the show and FOUR pairs of commemorative "JPTM3D" anaglyph 3D GLASSES, plus downloads of the MUSIC and VIDEO from the show. That is one big pile of rewards!Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ TRICERATOPS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Hold on to your butts... one of our trained Jurassic Park paleobiologists will DRAW YOU AS A DINOSAUR and send you the drawing. This is a scientifically accurate rendition of what it would look like if we mixed your DNA with that of dinosaurs. And you get the JPTM3D POSTER, FOUR pairs of commemorative 3D GLASSES and FOUR TICKETS to the show, plus downloads of the MUSIC and VIDEO from the show.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
~ ~ ~ TYRANNOSAURUS REX ~ ~ ~ ~ Spare no expense! You'll get all the rewards listed above, plus a huge "JPTM3D" COMPENDIUM. This hardcover book will include the complete JPTM3D script, plus a full slate of production drawings, behind-the-scenes photos, and other chaotic surprises! This is truly a once in a millennium opportunity.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
- (20 days)