Newest smartphone App technology to teach and learn about Plants and Trees around the world - Just with a picture of a leaf!
AFTER WATCHING THE SHORT VIDEO AND READING BELOW PLEASE POST YOUR THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS...WITH OR WITHOUT YOUR PLEDGE
WHY I CREATED IBOPLANET...
I want to create this app for everyone! However, in order to be practical, it must be designed to be functional for:
1) Forest and Park Rangers - This app would allow them to quickly identify any pertinent endangered species, relevant facts pertaining to cultivation and protection to provide to park visitors to create awareness, sense of awe, as well as information for the protection of the park visitors. And more...
2) Horticulturalists - This app would allow them to identify new species, upload them, submit them, mark them via GPS, and provide critical data back to such organizations as the USDA, UNEP, KEW, Botanical Gardens, and universities for further classification studies and data updates pertaining to existing, or, newly identified species and sub-species. And more...
3) K-12, Undergraduate, Graduate students and PhD Candidates - This app would allow these Environmental Engineering, Environmental Policy, Environmental Health Sciences, Environmental Science, Hazardous Waste Management and Public Health students, at all levels, to utilize the app for their coursework and far past their academic endeavors. And more...
4) Parents - This app would allow them to identify any relevant and pertinent facts, statistics, and information about the plant and tree life in their own backyard to make these facts known to their children. This would be useful for educating young children, creating environmental aware at a very young age, and identifying possible dangers posing as a potential threat to their children. And more...
5) Commercial & Residential Construction Site Surveyers - This app would allow them to obtiain critical data regarding site evaluations and demos to identify threats, or, possibilities of demolishing precious vegetation. And more...
6) Private and Organizational Gardeners - This app would allow them to identify, document, and classify species in their gardens, obtain information and best-practices for cultivation and even cross-breeding opportunities.
7) You...and Me - Ignorance is not bliss. Especially in an age where “going green,” environmental protection, and eco-friendly solutions to everyday living, concepts, strategies and its related technology are growing at an exponential rate. Even if by learning just a small part of our natural world during our busy lives or adventurous travels, (domestically and internationally) don’t you think it would be worth it? I do.
By taking a picture of a leaf, The iBoPlanet app would be able to determine whether the particular species of plant or tree is:
2) Has medicinal uses?
3) Is it endangered?
4) What its nutritional value is
5) How is it cultivated?
6) Where is it indigenous to?
7) Any other related information about the species it belongs to that would provide information to you on the spot
You will then be able to, if you so prefer, mark its location via GPS on an interactive map. This will allow other users of iBoPlanet to interact with you, upload and share videos, pictures and stories of their experiences and findings.
iBoPlanet will also have the capability to tell you about any plant or tree EVEN WITHOUT CELL PHONE SERVICE by providing you with a small, locally-stored database of information for it to access. This will give you only the most necessary information of whether or not the plant or tree has nutritional value, is it poisonous, or does it have healing properties.
The funding goal of $6,000 will go towards Phase 1 (below of $17,500 and will also us to begin the actual development - There will be a total of 6 phases by which I will be providing LIVE development mockups, trailers, and project design updates throughout the development lifecycle.
PHASE 1,2 & 3 - Acquiring and programming the map-able data from all the above-listed organizations and creating the app itself ($17,500)
PHASE 4 & 5 - Creating the optical reading technology, programming of the interactive component of the storyboard functionality ($12,000)Programming the GPS functionality. Creation and web development of an interactive we-site that is tied directly to the app for users to be able to access a multitude of news, information, stories and pictures, videos, organizational and partnership information.
PHASE 6 - Creating a local database to be stored on smartphone locally ($5,000)
$25 or more...
- IMMEDIATE reward! This is an extensive environmental article I have put together
- An iphone/Blackberry/Droid USB Car charger adaptor
- Your name in the “Thanks To” section of the app AND website
- free copy of the app
$35 or more...
- ALL THE ABOVE and...
- An iBoPlanet wristband (like the Lance Armstrong “live strong” wristbands) to show your support of the project proudly.
$50 or more...
- ALL THE ABOVE and...
- iBoPlanet T-Shirt (White or Green)
$150 or more...
- ALL THE ABOVE and...
- An iBoPlanet iPhone (or Android or Blackberry) Spec-Fitted Case. Take iBoPlanet wherever you go..
$300 or more...
All the above and...
iBoPlanet custom LOGO jacket provides the breathability and flexibility essential for an active lifestyle. 100% polyester bonded shell with a 100% polyester microfleece lining. Water-resistant. Zipper front pockets and upper left sleeve pocket. Care Instructions: Machine wash cold separately. Gentle cycle. Only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Tumble dry low. Cool iron if needed. It can be dry cleaned.
$300 or more...
- All the above and...
- iBoPlanet custom LOGO jacket provides the breathability and flexibility essential for an active lifestyle. 100% polyester bonded shell with a 100% polyester microfleece lining. Water-resistant. Zipper front pockets and upper left sleeve pocket. Care Instructions: Machine wash cold separately. Gentle cycle. Only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Tumble dry low. Cool iron if needed. It can be dry cleaned.
$500 or more...
- All the above and...
- Custom logo design iBoPlanet backpack! This can take on anything with ease for ALL OF YOUR HIKING, CAMPING etc... needs and includes an organizer panel, two main compartments, a fleece-lined top drop-in audio pocket and headphone exit port. The dual side zippered pockets and back panel side entry laptop sleeve keep things good-to-go. Made from 600-denier poly/420 diamond dobby poly
$2,500 or more...
- ALL THE ABOVE and...
- You will receive iBoPlanet's commemorative "PRODUCER" Sterling Silver signet ring
$4,000 or more...
- ALL THE ABOVE and...
- "EXECUTIVE PRODUCER" 14k yellow or white gold signet Executive Producer Signet Ring
PLANNED DELIVERY SCHEDULE...
As soon as it’s clear that we will hit our funding goal we’ll contact each one of you for delivery instructions for your rewards and continue to update you via email as to the status of the app’s development at each stage.
CALL TO ACTION...
Please make your pledge in the amount of $25 or more. I can NOT do this without your help. I am positive that all of you can see the true value this App will bring to the marketplace and to users, regardless of vocation or hobby will receive true value from.
Please "LIKE" us on Facebook and "FOLLOW" us on Twitter to help spread the word about this project.
THANK YOU, IN ADVANCE, FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
I got the idea after doing some research on environmental/science apps that major institutions hoped could be developed. Mainly, I was reading through some of the EPA's blogs and a commentor made mention that they wished someone could develop an interactive app that could provide the basis for which iBoPlanet has now become. It got me thinking....
From what I’ve gathered, taking a picture of the leaf of plant will be the primary way to identify the species. What other parts of the plant can one photograph to identify the species?
The premise is the "leaf" only. Optical image technoology will recognize exact dimensions, shapes, lobes, sinus, veins, petiols, midribs, margins, and leaf blades and cross reference that image with databases of images of hundreds of websites through what is referred to as API (accessing existing databases) or RSS feeds to determine the species of plant or tree. There was a blog from a science blog that I helped provide information for with PhD candidate Karl Von Mogle at http://www.biofortified.org/2012/02/want-to-identify-plants-with-your-smartphone/
This is where things get tricky. This will be done and conducted from the approach of a (pardon the cliche) "double-edged sword." First, through API is essentially the concept of contacting organizations who have extensive databases of plant and trees with matching images. We will have algorithms in place to match the image a user takes with his/her iPhone/Droid with all databases on file. The API "socket" has to be allowed us by the database managers of the organizations and, essentially allows us "access" to their public databse to retrieve information. RSS feeds will also allow the image to be cross-referenced (and then cross-referenced again with the API sockets) with notable (and by "notable" I mean "reputable") Science blogs and blogging communities to minimize the margin of error further. Second, through a semi-open protocol whereby vetted scientists, PhD candidates and PhD honoraries will be able to update content. More about this on next question.
Users who are "vetted" by their peers will allow informaiton to be updated due to the simple fact that we are dealing with an extremely comprehensive accessing technology to databases and open protocol methodologies
Google has "nailed" the algorithimc approach in their conceptual "Google Goggles." Theoretically, yes. Just so the community knows - we ain't sellin'. =)
On BioFortified’s website, you mentioned a number of possible sources for gathering medicinal/nutritional information for various plants. Which organizations are you currently considering?
Great question: Namely:
4) WORLD AGROFORESTRY CENTRE (KENYA, AFRICA)
5) NEW YORK BOTANNICAL GARDEN
and a few others but has not been solidified yet so much remain nameless...
Can you give me an idea of where you are in terms of development of the app? What have been some of the major challenges in creating iBoPlanet?
As of now, I have collaborated with a development team out of New York to bring the concept and "deliverable" to life. They are anxious to get started as they are EXTREMELY excited to have this project in their portfolio - That's how valuable they see this app being. In terms of development, however, we are strapped for funding. We are namely utilizing the website Kickstarter.com to create an avenue for the rapidly-developing concept of "crowd-funding." You can visit our Kickstarter project site at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/taglierre/quest-for-iboplanet.
Challenges? I get a few people here and there telling me that "there is already an app for that." They are wrong - and I say this respectfully. I will even give you the names of the two apps here and they can be found on itunes:
2) What do you know Botannical
Although conceptually I fully support their apps (I've even downloaded them) they are limited and we aim to fill in ALL their gaps. Also, iBoPlanet is extremely interactive. Users can:
1) "drop a pin" where they are, or where they last took a picture of a leaf and then proceed to interact with people around the world and share comments, upload videos and images. All of which will be available through a streaming website at www.i-bo-planet.com. NOTE: this website is the location (it is forwarded) to the Kickstarter.com project site.
2) An interactive story-board (twitter-style) format for users to engage one another .
Challenges can't even begin to explain it. I read somewhere that "anything of value, is not obtained without sacrifice." In this case, my sacrifice has been the emotional ups and downs of not reaching our funding goals 2 times running. We are not giving up. This app WILL bring value to the market place. The possibilities of it will be virtually and literally endless.
My third biggest challenge is that now, I have to phase the project in terms of funding. It will cost approximately $35,000 to get the app fully developed and available for the world to download but I have to do it in 5-6 phases in 30 day funding increments with funding goals of $6,000 each phase. We got to approximately $2,400+ last launch. I think we can do better - mainly because we need the U.S. - and the world - to know that it even exists.
From a high level, this will be determined through 1 of 2 ways:
1) the optical image technology will recognize exact dimensions, shapes, lobes, sinus, veins, petiols, midribs, margins, and leaf blades and cross reference that image with an open source database created (wikipedia-style) by users who have the app.
2) the optical image technology will recognize exact dimensions, shapes, lobes, sinus, veins, petiols, midribs, margins, and leaf blades and cross reference that image with databases of images of hundreds of websites through what is referred to as API (accessing existing databases) or RSS feeds to determine the species of plant or tree.
Many species of plants look very similar on their leaves, and botanists will turn to identifying the species based on their flowers or other morphologies. Will your app be able to identify these plants all the way down to the species level, or what will i
At this point, we don’t see this as being too much of a problem but you raise a good point. However, the app SHOULD be able to determine all the way down to the species level and is the primary reason for the development of the app. We need to be able to not only tell not only that it’s a “Maple Tree” but whether its an Amur Maple or a Nikko Maple – for example and the optical image technology should be able to determine this. There MAY be a margin of error + or – 10% but we will be able to provide an open source gateway for that error to be corrected by Scientists correcting the issues (These “Scientists” will, of course, be vetted
If the program is confused about what species you are trying to identify, is there some way it will indicate that confusion, or will it decide on the closest match to species? For instance, if it can determine if the plant is a Maple, just not which speci
This is an excellent question. there WILL be algorithms in place (kind of like Google Goggles ™) that will be able to differentiate to within a degree of certainty. At this point of the design phase, we don’t know whether we will allow the algorithms to calculate “percentage of likelihood,” provide 2 or 3 results and then allow you, the user to pick the image that most closely resembles the image, or calculate probability and then conduct a 2nd cross-reference through the API/RSS feeds to drill down further to get closer to a 100% match. I am still working with a programmer who is highly regarded in technological mathematical algorithms to determine the best course of action. The project site at www.i-bo-planet.com will provide these types of updates as time goes on. Even after (if) the project is fully funded by its deadline. NOTE: If the project is NOT fully funded we receive $0 but, if we are successful, updates will continue throughout the software development life-cycle (SDLC) of the project until launch on the iTunes distribution platform.
You mentioned that you would have the nutritional or medicinal value amongst the information presented – what will be your source of information for these characteristics? What if a mis-classification puts someone in harm’s way based on the information yo
An even better question as “Safety” and “liability” will obviously play a huge part in this app’s conception. It is for this very reason that we are still determining whether or not the app should be “open source” (users upload their information after they are vetted to create our own database), access API/RSS, or both.
Do you know at this point, or can you describe what the source of information would be for nutritional or medicinal value of the plants identified by the application?
The sources for this information are virtually limitless given the nature of how we will be able to access the informaiton through API and RSS Feeds. However, we will limit our sources of data aggregation to those of the highest repute and who are recognized by the botany/plant and tree genetics/horticultural communities. Perhaps you could make some recommendations? This is an organic process (no pun intended) and will evolve constantly to perfect after we launch. At this point, some sources we are considering are:
1. University Botanical Departments
2. Reputable blog sites
3. Botannical Gardens public domains
4. World Agroforestry Centre
7. Any other reputable public domain website
8. Open source options for professionals, such as yourself and you readership to play an active role in providing content. This will also apply to all other features of the app and the resultant website.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Thanks for supporting our efforts!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Free copy of the app and YOUR name in the "Thanks To" tab of the App and WebsiteEstimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
•IMMEDIATE reward! This is an extensive environmental article I have put together •An iphone/Blackberry/Droid USB Car charger adaptorEstimated delivery:
Pledge $35 or moreYou selected
•ALL THE ABOVE and... •An iBoPlanet wristband (like the Lance Armstrong “live strong” wristbands) to show your support of the project proudly.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
•ALL THE ABOVE and... •iBoPlanet T-Shirt (White or Green)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
•ALL THE ABOVE and... •An iBoPlanet iPhone (or Android or Blackberry) Spec-Fitted Case. Take iBoPlanet wherever you go..Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (9 left of 10)
ALL THE ABOVE AND....This iBoPlanet, custom outdoor hiking and camping jacket provides the breathability and flexibility essential for an active lifestyle. 100% polyester bonded shell with a 100% polyester microfleece lining. Water-resistant. Zipper front pockets and upper left sleeve pocket. Care Instructions: Machine wash cold separately. Gentle cycle. Only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Tumble dry low. Cool iron if needed. It can be dry cleanedEstimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (9 left of 10)
ALL THE ABOVE AND... Custom-designed iBoPlanet Logo backpack. This beast can take on most with ease and includes an organizer panel, two main compartments, a fleece-lined top drop-in audio pocket and headphone exit port. The dual side zippered pockets and back panel side entry laptop sleeve keep things good-to-go. Made from 600-denier poly/420 diamond dobby polyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
•ALL THE ABOVE and... •You will receive iBoPlanet's commemorative "PRODUCER" Sterling Silver signet ringEstimated delivery:
Pledge $4,000 or moreYou selected
•ALL THE ABOVE and... •"EXECUTIVE PRODUCER" 14k yellow or white gold signet Executive Producer Signet RingEstimated delivery:
- (30 days)