A fast paced and strategic game for iOS and Android. Fight through randomized galaxies to earn money and upgrade your ship!
Force Flyer is a single player, endless arcade game from Habitat Software. Being our first game, we had a very specific set of goals for Force Flyer. We wanted to make a game that:
- Had a unique and easy to learn core mechanic that allowed for skillful mastery
- Had true progression that allowed you to get new ships, upgrades and access new parts of the vastness of space
- Was a fun and fulfilling experience for a 60 second run as well as the depth to entertain for hours
- Spans dozens of unique and beautiful galaxies and space systems, each with their own unique attributes, enemies and stories
- Contains enemies and bosses that fight against your trips into deep space
- Has a fantastic soundtrack (by Ensnare!) and excellent sound effects
Well, we accomplished this, but we are nowhere near what we see as the potential in the game. In our video we show the game as it is right now: a fast paced, progressive arcade game. But we have so much more we want to do, and continuing to work on it part time as we have done so far is simply not adequate to reach our goals.
For the minimum amount of the Kickstarter we will be able to make this our full time job and accomplish these things:
- Published on both iOS and Android with full tablet support
- Over 20 customs designed ships, all with special attributes, bonuses and drawbacks
- Over a dozen galaxies and planet systems to explore with their own special obstacles, enemies, stories and unlockables
- Boss fights! That aren’t lame!
- Many random events: special items, very rare enemies, odd challenges
- A challenge mode with specifically designed missions to test your skills and learn tricks. You will also be able to unlock special items from the challenge mode
- Global leaderboards for both the endless and the challenge modes
- Full tutorial to teach you the basics of the game and advanced strategies taught to you by an awesome space lizard
- At least bi-weekly content updates
As someone who has backed other projects before and have looked through many of the other projects on Kickstarter, it is evident that some people get comfortable after their project’s funding and don’t produce their content on a timely schedule. Some also have problems communicating with their backers. We don’t like this.
We promise to have transparency on the entire development process, including post-development content. All backers who pledge $40 or more will be extremely close to the development process in a very special way, and is described in much more detail below, in the section that outlines all of the rewards. For all backers under the $40 reward, you will have access to:
- A weekly development blog where we go over everything that we did that week, including many images and videos
- Daily tweets from us about what part of the game we are working on
- A forum where we will answer all questions
We feel like it is necessary, even if all backers are not interested in the daily workings of the development process, that we prove we are as passionate about finishing the game as we should be. Remember, everything done so far on the game was done in our free time as something we really loved doing, and being able to work on it full time is our dream.
Making a game independently is a tricky thing. You either devote all of your time to it, gaining no income, and hope for the best or you can do it completely part time and work on it when you can. Well, we chose the latter and we are tired of working on it in this way. It is difficult to work on other jobs and projects to make a living while working on something so very different in your free time. Because it had to be low on our priority list, we were forced to constantly pick it up when we could and drop it completely very often. This made development move at an extremely slow pace and made both my brother and I extremely frustrated. Looking back over code you worked on weeks ago is not very fun, and doing it over and over is awful.
Quite frankly we have two choices: We either release the game, as is, and accept the fact that it is not up to our expectations nor up to its potential or we could gain enough money to switch to working on it full time so that we can eat while we make it. Like I said before, the $5,000 is the bare minimum we would need to finish it. But like every game, there are always ways for it to improve. Every dollar that goes over the initial goal of $5,000 will go towards the development process. It will allow us to add more galaxies, more ships, more challenges etc. Simply, there is a linear relationship to every dollar over the goal to more content in the game. We have also compiled a list of “stretch goals”, that if reached, we will also promise to add them into the game.
These stretch goals go beyond just more content for the game and are actual new added features that take many hours to develop, and would be impossible for us to include with the minimum budget.
- $12,000 – Multiplayer support: Play online multiplayer! There will actually be several different modes for this. One mode will be that both players are playing in the exact same generated galaxy in a “versus” mode. You each compete and see who can collect the most points before time runs out! Death is also turned off, taking damage will instead stun you for a short amount of time. Both ships cannot collide with each other. Competing with random people online will earn you unique rewards and money if you win. See how good you are against people online! We will update with more details and a video if we near this goal.
- $20,000 – PC, Mac and Linux version: We will completely design and produce Force Flyer for desktop, with absolutely no DRM. You will be able to directly download it from our servers. We hope to get it on Steam either directly or through Greenlight. It will not be a simple port, however! Since controls on desktop are different, we will optimize, and in some cases, redesign parts of the game to take full advantage of a keyboard and mouse. The most exciting part of this is that you will have the option to make a free account and link your desktop and mobile versions. With this account, you will be able to share your upgrades, money and progress in a continuous universe. It’ll be awesome. We will update with more details and a video if we near this goal.
These are the two main stretch goals that we would really love to do, but if we are fortunate enough to get more money than this, we will tell you exactly what we plan on doing with it!
#1 : Pledge $5 or more
- A pack of wallpapers for iOS, Android and all desktop sizes!
#2 : Pledge $10 Dollars or more
- Everything above!
- A copy of the game for iPhone and iPad
- A copy of the game for Android with full tablet support
- (if the stretch goal is reached) DRM copies for PC, Mac and Linux!
#3 : Pledge $15 or more
- Everything above!
- Custom, Kickstarter-only ship
- Kickstarter-only Expansion
- "Impeccable Micro" by _ensare_ , the soundtrack to the game!
#4 : Pledge $30 or more
- Everything above!
- Name in the credits of the game!
- Poster signed by the team!
- Stickers of the Force Flyer lizard and the logo!
#5 : Pledge $40 or more
- Everything above!
- A invitation to a very special testing and creative feedback group
- T-shirt showing you are a part of the group!
So, this reward is very special. If you pledge $40 dollars or more to this project, you will become a part of a group of not only beta testers, but of people who will have a very special creative say in Force Flyer. The group is exclusive only to this Kickstarter, meaning that it will not grow in size because it will be impossible to get into it after the Kickstarter. Here is how it will work: On our website's forums, if you account that is a part of this group, you will have access to a special area where the team will constantly post new information the game. This will not be just for the course of beta testing. This special forum will stay open for the entire time that the game is available. The team will use this area to mainly post votes and polls about the game development decisions, as well as to post information about all our plans for the future. The difference between this area and the main forums is that, where the main forums is primarily discussions between players with only occasional input from the team, we will be constantly discussing and talking with the testers in the special area of the forum. We feel as though this is very important because we want people who believed in the game from the start to really be able to have an impact on the game, and to make sure that if they have any thoughts, they will know we will listen. All members of this group and reward will also receive beta invites for all future Habitat Software releases. If you have any questions, please email me or comment on the page!
#6 : Pledge $60 or more
- Everything above!
- A personal email that I will check very actively. If you ever have a problem with the game or just want to tell me something or even need gameplay advice, I will respond to you very quickly!
#7 : Pledge $100 or more
- Everything above!
- A custom ship, designed by you, in the game!
Sometime in the next couple of months, you will be contacted by email by us. We will ask you to provide a description, any sketches and a name for your ship. Our artists will then make a mock up for your approval and once you are okay with it, the ship will be put in the game! Please note however, that we do have the final creative say on this. We really want your creation in the game, but it cannot be offensive, hateful etc. If you have any questions, please email me or comment on the page!
#8 : Pledge $150 or more
- Rewards 1-6!
- A custom enemy, designed by you, in the game!
Sometime in the next couple of months, you will be contacted by email by us. We will ask you to provide a description, how the enemy will act, its back story, any sketches and a name for your enemy. Our artists and programmers will then make a mock up for your approval and once you are okay with it, the enemy will be put in the game! Please note however, that we do have the final creative say on this. We really want your creation in the game, but it cannot be offensive, hateful etc. If you have any questions, please email me or comment on the page!
#9 : Pledge $200 or more
- Rewards 1-8!
Note: that does include both rewards 7 and 8. This was done so that backers could choose if they wanted a custom ship, a custom enemy or both. If you have any questions, please email me or comment on the page!
#10 : Pledge $500 or more
- Everything above!
- An Executive Producer position in the game!
This reward is also very special. We will work very closely with you so that you have a very large creative say in Force Flyer. We will stay in close contact with you so that you can help us make decisions small and large in the game. Please note that we will always have the final say. If you have any questions, please email me or comment on the page!
#11 : Pledge $3,000 or more
- Everything above!
- We will fly you to our studio for a weekend!
- You will get to learn about the development of the game first hand!
- You'll receive hand-drawn and signed concept art!
- As many high fives as you want!
Thanks again for checking out the Kickstarter! If you have any questions, please email me or comment on the page!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Producing any sort of media, especially a video game, is a very difficult process. It can be quite tedious at times, and some unforeseen problems may occur such as bugs, game imbalances etc. We estimate that the game will be done by June, and this is a very conservative estimate. We hope to be done much, much earlier, but we do not want to rush ourselves (too much). But after funding of the project, we will not fade into the shadows. We will be very active and communicate very heavily with our backers through dev blogs, twitter and our forums. You'll always know how the game is going and what we are working on!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $5,000 goal
seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful This project reached the deadline without achieving its funding goal on February 17.
Jan 18, 2013 - Feb 17, 2013 (30 days)
Pledge $5 or more
Thanks for the support! You'll receive an awesome pack of wallpapers for every device we can think of so that you can show off your love of Force Flyer.Estimated delivery: Feb 2013
Pledge $10 or more
As well as listed above, You will receive a copy of the premium game for Android and iOS! This will include all the premium content and full tablet support! If our goal for the PC, Mac & Linux version is reached, you will also receive DRM-free copies of the game for those platforms!Estimated delivery: Jun 2013
Pledge $15 or more
As well as listed above, you will also receive a custom Kickstarter-only ship in the game for both iOS and Android, as well as a Kickstarter-only expansion. This content will not be available any other way and we promise it will be awesome. You will also receive the album "Impeccable Micro" by Ensnare, the soundtrack to the game!Estimated delivery: Jun 2013
Pledge $30 or more
As well as listed above, you will receive your name in the credits PLUS a custom poster signed by the team AND stickers of the Force Flyer lizard and the logo (see the project description for the poster and stickers!) Please add 3 dollars for International backers.Estimated delivery: Jun 2013Add $3 to ship outside the US
Pledge $40 or more
As well as listed above, you will have a special creative say in Force Flyer. You will a part of a unique community of Force Flyer players who will be able to vote, give us feedback and help shape the game. This group will not grow beyond this initial Kickstarter reward, so that those who believed in this game from the start will always be a part of it no matter how long it lasts. You will also be a part of the closed beta for the Android version as well as the PC, Mac & Linux closed betas (if we reach the over-funded goal). For more information please see the project details. ALSO you will receive a t-shirt that shows you are a part of this team. We will be updating a mock-up of the shirt shortly. Please add 5 dollars for International backers.Estimated delivery: Jun 2013Add $5 to ship outside the US
Pledge $60 or more
As well as listed above, you will have access to a personal email that I will check very actively. If you ever have a problem with the game or want to communicate something to me or my brother and want to get a response very quickly, even for advice or questions about gameplay, this will allow you to do so!Estimated delivery: Jun 2013
Pledge $100 or more
As well as listed above, you will work with our artists to create your own ship that will appear in the game. You will be able to name it and decide its attributes!Estimated delivery: Jun 2013
Pledge $150 or more
As well as awards #1-6, you will be able to work with our artists and game designers to create your own enemy in the game. You will able to tell us what you want him to look like, how you want him to act and how he plans on destroying the Force Flyer!Estimated delivery: Jun 2013
Pledge $200 or more
As well as rewards #1-5, you will be able to work with the artists and gameplay designers to create both your own ship and your own enemy! You will be able to kill your own enemy with your own ship!Estimated delivery: Jun 2013
Pledge $500 or more
0 backers Limited (2 of 2 left)
As well as listed above, you will become one of the 2 Executive Producers on the game. You will help us make decisions in the development process. You will also be credited!Estimated delivery: Jun 2013
Pledge $3,000 or more
0 backers Limited (1 of 1 left)
As well as listed above, we will fly you to our studio to stay with us and learn about the development of the game. You will receive hand-drawn concept art from the game and just get to hang out with us for a weekend.Estimated delivery: Jun 2013