From the bottom of our hearts, we want to thank you all for the outpouring of support, links, volunteerism, tips, and friendship that you've sent toward the project. It has been an amazing response, and frankly, we're floored by it. We ended up just $975 shy of an unbelievable goal….which means we should be able to cover all the budget additions, and make an extraordinary documentary.
We've been working on the film quietly, secretly, for almost two years, now -- and to see and feel such enthusiasm for it cheers us in a way we can't even describe. Thank you! You have put a huge vote of confidence in the project, and we are going to do everything we can to live up to that trust, and make a great film that all comics fans will enjoy.SO WHAT'S NEXT?
- EDITING: We've hired our full-time editor, and he in turn is getting crack-a-lacking reviewing all 230 hours of footage. Fred and Dave and two research assistants are also reviewing the footage, pulling out gems and insights that'll be the heart of this movie.
- ANIMATIONS: The call has gone out for indie and small-team animators to submit their reels, and the submissions we're getting are ah-mazing. We'll be hiring in the months ahead, as the editing outline starts to take shape.
- ADDITIONAL INTERVIEWS: This coming week, we're traveling up to Santa Rosa to interview the wonderful Jeannie Schulz, and there are more to come in the weeks ahead. We'll try to keep you in the loop with fun travel updates and pics, as we conduct these final rounds of interviews.
- MUSIC: We couldn't be more excited about Stefan Lessard ("Dave Matthews Band") writing the score for the film. Not only is he an incredible, incredible musician, he's a super-nice guy. We can not wait to hear that final score in the film.
- RESEARCH: In the next few weeks, we're also researching older newsreels and films that profiled cartoonists of yesteryear. Things like MGM's 1945 Passing Parade newsreel, "People on Paper", which profiled the top cartoonists of its time (that link is down at the moment, but it's an amazing reel when it's up). So we'll be diving into the film archives of UCLA, the Getty, the Paley Center, the Smithsonian, and others. It'll be the first time Dave can put his two (otherwise useless) Masters degrees in cartoon history to use, frankly…much to his mother's delight. BUT! We can also crowd-source this aspect of the project: If you know of any film strips, news reels, classic profiles, and the like…please forward on the relevant info to us: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org ...with huge thanks!
- WHERE WILL THIS FILM BE SEEN? This is a great question, and the honest answer is: There are nothing but good options for it, going forward. We've already had interest from distributors and the like in the US, Canada, and internationally, but we may yet take an unorthodox path. We'll be taking plenty of meetings in the next few weeks and months to determine the best course for the film. It's exciting! And regardless which way we go, our backers will be the first to know.
- TIMELINE: The biggest question for backers of the film is, "When can I see the film!" So! ...With the addition of more interviews, which will add a few weeks onto the process, we're shooting to have the film wrapped up in first quarter of 2012. That's not 100% gospel, mind you, but it's the goal we're shooting for.
- FRIENDSHIP: We're also planning to drive to all of your houses and individually take you out for pizza and high-five you prodigiously for a couple of minutes, just to show our thanks. It'll add a 10-20 months onto the project, but it feels right. Feels good. You guys have been amazing.
Joking aside...thank you again for everything you've done. It's amazing. You're helping to make a really special film come to life. The next few months are exciting!
Dave 'n Fred
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Get a sneak-peak of the first five minutes of the film when it's completed (…BEFORE anyone else!)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Get the DVD of the feature film, with free shipping to anywhere in the US! (Canada, please add $5 for shipping considerations; International, please add $10)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Get a *signed* DVD by both film-makers, plus a signed copy of Dave Kellett's Eisner-nominated "best humor" book, "Literature: Unsuccessfully Competing Against TV Since 1953." (Canada, please add $5 for shipping considerations; International, please add $10)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
ADDED BY POPULAR DEMAND: Get *two* copies of the DVD: One for you, one as a gift! Free shipping to anywhere in the US! (Canada, please add $5 for shipping considerations; International, please add $10)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
58 backers Limited (142 left of 200)
**NEW!** Get a signed DVD by both film-makers, a signed copy of Dave Kellett's Eisner-nominated "best humor" book, "Literature: Unsuccessfully Competing Against TV Since 1953," and a digital download of the FULL JIM DAVIS INTERVIEW! (*Note: Canada, please add in $5 for shipping the DVD and book; International, please add $10. *Also Note: As this newly-added reward comes in the middle of the Kickstarter drive, pledge levels *above* $75 will also be given access to the full Jim Davis interview. 'Cause we're nice guys like that.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
Get all of the above, PLUS get a *signed*, limited-edition film poster! (Canada, please add $5 for shipping considerations; International, please add $10)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
Get all of the above, plus an exclusive "book of the film," which includes exclusive content, interviews with the film-makers, stills, technical details and more! Signed by both film-makers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
7 backers Limited (13 left of 20)
Get all of the above, plus a VIP invitation to join us at the world premiere screening (does not include travel and stay), and a special thanks in the end credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
Get all of the above, plus an Associate Producer credit on the film, 15 minutes of Q&A and chatting with the film-makers via Skype, an original Dave Kellett "Sheldon" comic strip, and special thanks at the end credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (9 left of 10)
Get all of the above, a Producer credit on the film, and 30 minutes of intensive film consultation (via Skype) for your film with twice-Sundance nominated film-maker Fred Schroeder.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (3 left of 3)
Get all of the above, plus, creators Fred Schroeder & Dave Kellett will fly to your US-based city to personally screen the film for you *before* the film premieres. (International donors: Please add $1,000 if you would. International travel is 'spensive.)Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)