Produced and bottled in Scotland, SIA SCOTCH WHISKY is an exciting, new and modern spirit, ready for distribution in the U.S.
SIA is a delicious, new, fresh and modern blend, born from my desire to share the beauty of Scotch Whisky with the world.
With your help, I can complete the production of the first batch and have it imported for distribution in the United States. To achieve this, I need your help to complete:
- Work with the importer on finalizing the production with the makers/distillery
- Bottling, labeling and packaging costs
- Shipping, customs and warehouse storage in the US
How Kickstarter Works
To accomplish this, the goal is to raise $39,000 or more within a 40-day time period. I've created some amazing rewards to thank you for your generosity. It's all or nothing, the project moves forward only if the goal is met. If not, you as a supporter will not be charged a penny.
As a San Francisco resident and backer of several projects, I’ve seen firsthand what a difference the Kickstarter community can make. I can’t do this without you!
For the last 10 years, I've had a love affair with Scotch. I've loved exploring its richness and complexities. I especially love that moment when I introduce someone to the right Scotch and see the look of surprise and delight spread across their face.
I developed blind tastings of over a hundred different types of Scotch to find the unique flavor profiles that appealed to a modern palate. Armed with this research, I began testing and tweaking variations after variations, until I knew it was perfect.Then the real work began.
- Researching and calling on over 80 distillers
- Carefully selecting an award-winning distiller to create the highest quality product
- Evaluating and securing the perfect importer that is completely aligned with the mission of this brand
- Spending long nights doing the painstaking work of building pricing, distribution, retail and marketing plans
- Working for over eight months designing a modern bottle and package to stand out from all the dusty stodgy bottles on the shelf
- Securing difficult and stringent approvals from the US Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau of the federal government and the Scotch Whisky Association
All of the major hurdles are complete AND there are people who are ready to buy it!
With your support, we can put SIA in the hands of people worldwide. The project is currently in the final stages of design and development, ready for production. (UPDATE: Production date is tentatively scheduled for Mid January) – with Whisky in hand delivered to the US in late February 2013 (It's a 6-8 week cycle from when we say “go”).HOW WILL THE FUNDS BE USED?
The main portion of funds received from our Kickstarter will go towards purchasing the actual spirit and glass as well as bottling costs and freight and taxes. The goal of this project is $39,000.
- For this initial run, each case comes to roughly $118 (quantity 250 cases) This cost includes liquid cost, glass order and etching, label printing, cork and cap purchase, foil and outer shipping box, bottling process costs, freight from Scotland and US taxes. Total $29,500.
- Rewards and fulfillment costs are roughly $6,500.
- Kickstarter and Amazon fees are very reasonable fees at 8-10% of the total (roughly $3,000) in order to make pledge fulfillment easy. They work hard to make this all work for us.
Once in hand, a very aggressive sales campaign will begin to make sure the first batch is sold quickly and a second, larger batch can be ordered and enjoyed. In exchange for your generous support, there are a number of rewards to enjoy as well as some pretty impressive recognition. I realize this is a group effort and thank the community profusely for its outstanding support.
SIA Scotch Whisky is a superior blended Scotch Whisky. It is distilled, matured and produced in Scotland. Blends are a combination of Speyside and Highlands with a small touch of Islay. SIA is accessible, inviting, smooth and easy to drink. It is delicious neat, on the rocks, or in a cocktail. Bottle is 750ml and Whisky is 43% ABV (86 Proof).
Professional Tasting Note #1: The color of this whisky is deep gold with yellow highlights. The nose is fresh and malty, with a bit of banana and fruit cake. The palate is well balanced with just the right amount of smokiness combined with a pear drop sweetness. The finish is long, smooth and refreshing.
Professional Tasting Notes #2: Nose: opens with toffee and spices, developing to a fresh citrusy quality before a liquorice character appears. Taste: initially, discover a sweet, ripe fruit quality running to more toffee plus a distinct vanilla style. Finish: the finish remains vanilla’d carrying a round and well balanced sweet & spicy quality.
Backers! Thank you! Because Kickstarter rules do not allow alcohol as a prize, below are some really creative rewards for your contribution that I hope you find exciting and thoughtful.
- Backer Party - An invitation to our Backer Party to thank our more committed supporters. Taste the first sips of SIA Scotch Whisky. Plus T-Shirt - Limited edition Project Backer shirt designed and printed in the USA.
- A SIA Scotch drink named in your honor on the SIA website.
- Event space rental in the loft featured in the video, accommodate your group of up to 75 people.
- Your name printed on a limited edition retail box.
- VIP access and the opportunity to help host at a cocktail or Whisky industry event- get a behind-the-scenes look
- How I did it – A two-hour consultation and a detailed step-by-step process on how to build your own spirit brand, workflow, processes and resources. If you are serious about starting your own brand, this will save you at least a year’s worth of research.
- Weekend in San Francisco in the loft shown below for up to 3 people includes a unique Scotch themed dinner prepared by an award-winning chef and a San Francisco Bay tour in a private airplane.
- 1,000 bottles of SIA Scotch Whisky will be named in your honor.
Please click the “pledge now” button and help bring SIA to life.
Share this project with your friends and family, just getting the word out is very helpful.
An enormous thanks you, our backers, for your generous support of this project and my dream!
For press inquiries and high resolution photos, please contact info@SiaScotch.com
Video Production: Jan Stürmann, www.albinocrow.com
Photography: Sarah Peet Photography, www.sarahpeetphotography.com
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
I’m up against established brands with deep pockets who can afford to give away their product for free. I’m going to need to use guerrilla marketing tactics, my expertise in online advertising and putting in the good old fashioned hard work that it takes to build strong relationships. Instead of focusing on the mass market immediately, I’m focusing on working strategically with already established alliances and industry rockstars.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Exclusive, behind-the-scenes updates, a thank you postcard, your name on the website and on the thank you video and two desktop wallpapers. A thank you on the website. Every amount helps, so let us show our gratitude by giving you a shout out.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
All of the above + a SIA Scotch Whisky T-Shirt. Spread the word and help launch SIA. Super soft 100% cotton, made in the USA.Estimated delivery:Add $5 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
All of the above + a SIA Scotch Whisky T-Shirt. Spread the word and help launch SIA. Super soft 100% cotton, made in the USA PLUS an engraved flask.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
Private invitation to an exclusive launch/tasting party in San Francisco or NYC. SIA on us!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
Private invitation to an exclusive launch/tasting party in San Francisco or NYC. PLUS your name printed on the limited edition retail box AND a Scotch drink named after you on the website.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
Private invitation to an exclusive launch/tasting party in San Francisco or NYC. PLUS you get to work a Whisky Event or Cocktail Convention event with me. VIP access to the event and to get a feel for what it’s like behind-the-scenes. Travel not included.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
Event space rental at the loft featured in the video which accommodates up to 75 people comfortably OR a two-hour consultation and comprehensive PDF on how to build a spirit brand. If you are serious about building your own brand- you've just saved a solid year’s worth of research.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
Spend the weekend in San Francisco, includes a private stay at the loft for up to 4 people, a Scotch themed dinner prepared by an award winning chef and a San Francisco Bay Tour in a private plane.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
The mother of all rewards.1,000 bottles of SIA Scotch Whisky will be named in your honor. Your name will appear on a Special Edition label.Estimated delivery:
- (38 days)