Civil war in modern America. Terrorism. Romance. The sequel to the bestselling novel Republic.
From an author described by a Top 50 Reviewer as "one of America's criminally neglected authors," Insurgent is the riveting sequel to the surprise bestseller Republic: A Novel of America's Future.
Three months after the end of the West Virginia civil war, Valerie Murphy faces her worst fears as the violence escalates out of control. Former Congressman Al Clark, now Governor of the bankrupt state, must quell an insurgency even as he struggles to put the state back together. In a small town south of Charleston, West Virginia, Corporal Jim Turville falls in love with Rebecca Mays, a local high school student and ballet dancer, putting both their lives at risk.
When the Kickstarter project is over, Cincinnatus Press will be publishing Insurgent:
- In 6x9 trade paperback format
- In ebook format for distribution on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other ebook channels
- In a limited edition, numbered hardcover printing, exclusive to kickstarter backers and the beta readers group
Why Fund this Project?
Republic found unexpected success when published in 2007 because it tapped into key elements of real life: a wrecked economy, increasingly violent rhetoric between the left and right in politics, and increasing federal power being concentrated in ways that limit our civil liberties. Insurgent continues this story.
Here's some things people have said about Republic and Insurgent:
“This novel of America’s future may be prophetic…It will disturb you…It should."–Kenneth J. Bernstein, Daily Kos
"It is now 2012 and the events in this book seem ever more possible." - B. Hoover, Amazon.com
"Seriously, seriously good. And almost frighteningly prescient." - Stephen Collins, Amazon.com
"Insurgent is one damned fine read." - Chris Gerrib, Amazon.com, POD People
Check out the rest of the Amazon reviews of Republic here.
What You Are Funding:
- Editing! The book is 100% complete, and has been reviewed by a small group of volunteer beta readers. But it still needs professional editing, which will cost a lot of money.
- The Free Podcast. In 2007, I podcast the complete novel of Republic on iTunes and Podiobooks.com, and I'll be doing it again with Insurgent. Audio quality on Republic was less than it could have been, and I plan to use part of the proceeds from the kickstarter campaign to get decent recording equipment: high end microphones and Adobe Soundbooth software to polish the audio quality.
- Book launch: When the book launches, I plan to send out copies to book bloggers, reviewers and others to help drive the success of the book.
- Rewards! The remainder of money raised through the project will pay for printing and shipping costs for the rewards, primarily the limited edition hardcovers and paperbacks which will be shipped out to backers.
Want to Know More?
Updates! And More!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $4,000 goal
seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful This project reached the deadline without achieving its funding goal on September 8, 2012.
Aug 9, 2012 - Sep 8, 2012 (30 days)
Pledge $1 or more
Want to help, but don't care about awards? For $1 pledges, you get my gratitude and thanks. You are awesome!Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $5 or more
Awesome! Even with a small pledge, you can help make the project move forward. $5 backers will receive the completed ebook in DRM-free mobi or epub formats, ready for your Kindle or Nook!Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $10 or more
$10 backers will received the completed ebook in their preferred format, plus a special edition ebook including deleted scenes!Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Ebooks not enough for you? $25 backers will receive both the ebook, the special edition ebook and a paperback copy of Insurgent! $25 or higher backers will be publicly thanked in the acknowledgements of the book!Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $50 or more
$50 backers will receive the completed ebook, special edition ebook, an ebook copy of Republic, as well as a personally autographed paperback copy of Insurgent.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $100 or more
Wow. $100 backers will receive the full ebook package for lower level pledges, plus a personally autographed limited edition numbered hardcover of Insurgent. The hardcover will be produced only for beta readers (8 copies) plus Kickstarter backers.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $250 or more
Pledges of $250 or more get: * The limited edition, numbered, autographed hardcover edition * Autographed copy of Republic (paperback) * A character named after you or the person of your choice * Exclusive access to early scenes from Book 3, Influenza, as they are produced (delivery in 2013)Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $500 or more
0 backers Limited (2 of 2 left)
This is the dinner award! If you pledge $500 or more, you'll get everything in the other packages, plus I'll take you out for a nice dinner if we're ever in the same town, and we can talk politics, books, whatever!Estimated delivery: Dec 2012