PAPA is a feature documentary that will chronicle the Ernest "Papa" Hemingway Look-alike Contest annually held in Key West, Florida.
"You know what makes a good loser? Practice!"
- Papa Hemingway Look-alike Contestant, 2011
"I'll keep coming 'til I drop dead!"
- Papa Hemingway Look-alike Contestant, 2011
PAPA | Synopsis
Every year, hoards of quirky middle aged men donning full white beards, sportsmen’s garb and Spanish red berets, descend into Key West, Florida for the Ernest "Papa" Hemingway Look-alike Contest, a part of the annual Hemingway Days Festival.
The contest, which began in 1981, celebrates Hemingway’s tenure in Key West and runs concurrent with his birthday on July 21st. It's held at historic Sloppy Joe’s Bar and attracts enthusiastic "Papas," their supporters, and outrageous, boisterous fans from all corners.
PAPA, a feature length documentary, will chronicle the Ernest "Papa" Hemingway Look-alike Contest and spotlight a number of participating "Papas," their family members, friends, and fans. Further, the film will explore the concepts of celebrity, the importance of history, and create a portrait of the eccentric and proud "Conch Republic" of Key West.
PAPA will provide a curious glimpse into the private lives of ordinary men, who turn into the iconic, yet troubled American writer Ernest "Papa" Hemingway for a weekend.
PAPA | Research + Production
Research and production for PAPA began in 2011. So far, it's produced an abundance of novel and exciting story lines that we'll comprehensively examine and follow. We've found that the dedication, camaraderie, and at times conflict the Papas have is very unique.
Nonetheless, PAPA is nowhere near completion. There's a ton of work that needs to be done and it's now a crucial point in the film's lifeline. PAPA must be financially stable to continue to apprise their tales. This is where you can help the film.
PAPA | Expenses
By backing PAPA, you would enable us to get through a hectic production schedule. But, as a backer, where will your support and donations go? Well, not only will you receive a stylish backer reward, but we can assure you that the pledges will go to budget costs associated with the development, production, and post production phases.
Here is some of the budget costs associated with PAPA:
- Road Travel 1 - To and from Florida area homes (Florida Keys, South Florida, Space Coast, Gulf Coast, Central Florida, Treasure Coast, North Florida, etc.) for interviews with participating Papas, family members, and friends.
- Road Travel 2 - To and from other state's area homes (Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, Montana, North and South Carolina, Michigan, Georgia, Texas, etc.) for interviews with participating Papas, family members, and friends. There's even international Papa's located in Norway, Italy, Canada, etc.
- Vehicle Rental - We'll need to travel with our crew and gear to the areas listed above to collect new and additional interviews/footage. As you know, gas is really expensive!
- Room and Board - When travel is necessary the crew will need places to stay that's relatively cheap and comfortable. Of course, we'll even sleep on couches, cram into closets, or sleep in the van wherever, and whenever, we can!
- Permits - We'll need to obtain new/additional building, perimeter, and area permits for our shooting locations.
- Liability Insurance - We'll need insurance! We don't want people injured! Although, exhaustion of the crew is okay!
- Film Equipment Insurance - We can't have our gear breakdown in the middle of a shoot! We need to keep it functional!
- Film and Video Media - We will need film, videotape, and memory cards to record and retain all of our footage. We'll need to back up our footage too! We can't afford to lose any of it, especially for one-time interviews!
- Sound(s) - We'll need to edit, remix, and master our audio. We'll need to obtain licensing rights from artists and musicians for their music when necessary. This can be really expensive!
- Image(s) - We'll need to obtain licensing agreements and permissions for images included in the finished documentary. Again, this can be expensive!
- Distribution - We'll need 35 mm release prints for traditional theater screenings and progressive HD downloads made available for digital theaters. We'll also need to design and author PAPA DVD's. Expensive!
- Public Relations - We'll need to push the film to local, national, and international media outlets. This in-turn leads us to marketing.
- Marketing - We'll need to actively market PAPA. We'll do this with online advertisements, radio ads, interviews, etc. We'll also keep our social networking profile pages, such as Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, and Youtube active. We'll need to keep our website(s) active and up to date. There is also a number of print costs associated with PAPA. This includes press releases, throw cards, posters, etc.
- Creative Control - We'll maintain creative control! We do not want to shop this project around to other studios. By supporting and/or backing PAPA, we will successfully hold ALL creative elements. And, as a kicker, you'll be listed on the website and in the film's end credits under the categories available in the rewards list!
- Crew - Most of the PAPA crew members are working on deferral. However, certain crew members need to be hired. Such crew include the cinematographer, sound engineer, website administrator and designer, etc.
- Et cetera - There's a ton of additional costs associated with making a feature film! So what's listed here is only skimming the surface!
PAPA | Goals
The plan, other than telling a compelling, offbeat story, is to have PAPA completed by July 2013.
Short term: we would like the film to premiere at the 2013 Hemingway Days Festival.
Long term: we want the film to begin its tour during the autumn leg of the 2013 film festival circuit in North America and abroad.
Overall, we need PAPA to build momentum and entertain. However, to be successful, we need your assistance. Remember, you're not only rewarded with film credit and/or a tangible item by backing the film, but you'll literally breathe life into PAPA!
PAPA | Resources, Contact + Additional Info
Yes, contact us anytime via email.
By all means, no! We need additional interviews, event footage, audio recordings, photos, etc. This is why we're here on Kickstarter™ asking that you support the project.
Yes, indeed they're the same. We had to reevaluate "PAPA" and Kickstarter™ has a policy of not using the same project name more than once. "PAPA!" is the one to back.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
FIVE O'CLOCK SHADOW: Your name will be listed in the acknowledgement and thank you sections of the film's credits and on the website. You will also have access to project updates and our sincere gratitude for your support.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
JUST THE STACHE: You will receive the above perk as well as promotional PAPA post cards and PAPA pin back buttons.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
VAN DYKE: Not only will you get the above perks, but we will also send you a limited edition PAPA poster and a PAPA Beard Kit.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
NECKBEARD: You will receive the awards from the above level plus a PAPA tote bag and a digital download of the completed film.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
SHENANDOAH: All of the perks from the $25 level will be yours as well as a PAPA t-shirt (S, M, L, XL, or XXL), a DVD copy of the completed film, and a PAPA bottle opener.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
SPANISH BEARD: All of the above PAPA perks are available to you plus a Blu-ray copy of the completed film as well as all three versions of the limited edition PAPA posters.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
CHIN CURTAIN: At this level, you receive the perks from the $100 level. And in addition to this, you will receive special edition DVD and Blu-ray copies of the completed film that will include behind the scenes content, film trailers, teasers and other special features. We'll also send you a set of limited edition collectible PAPA contestant trading cards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
MUTTON CHOPS: Not only will all of the awards from the $250 level be yours, but your special edition Blu-ray and DVD copies of PAPA will also come in a limited edition, handmade, humidor style box set. We'll also throw in a PAPA wall calendar.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
CHINSTRAP: All of the above perks are available to you. And in addition to these awards, you will be credited as an Associate Producer for PAPA. You will also receive a special invite to PAPA's opening screening, pre-party, and after-party.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
FULL BEARD: All of the perks from the $500 level are available to you. And in addition to receiving those awards, you will be credited as an Executive Producer for PAPA. You will also receive a special invite to PAPA's opening screening, pre-party, and after-party.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)