Jason Scott posting.
I drove back today from Boston to NY, where I live, carrying a lot of stuff to be mailed out. It has been an exhausting three days of work that I was positive was going to be one and a half days of work. But that's logistics for you.
OUT THE DOOR AND IN THE MAIL: The "3 Locks, Pins, Temp Tattoo, Booklet, Case" box, to nearly all US/Domestic destinations/backers. The "Open Locksport" T-shirts to nearly all US/Domestic destinations/backers.
OUT THE DOOR BUT NOT IN THE MAIL: The "3 Locks, Pins, Temp Tattoo, Booklet, Case" box to International destinations/backers. The "Open Locksport" T-shirts to International backers.
NOT OUT THE DOOR: Roughly 70 "3 Locks, Pins, Temp Tattoo, Booklet, Case" boxes that require one or more parts to complete and ship.
The cost of sending out each domestic box ranged based on it being Parcel Post or Priority (depending on the weight of the individual locks). For clarity's sake, the prices ranged between about $3-$6. I can provide more exacting postage information as needed, although it was too difficult in the way this was done to match your cost to your specific kit. When you get the box, you'll see the cost on there. People have asked about contributing towards that postage, which is appreciated. My paypal address is firstname.lastname@example.org and you would want to say SCHUYLER POSTAGE in the subject.
As mentioned above, something in the range of 50-70 packages didn't go out because we were missing boxes - we need to order some more. The parts we used to assemble these kits are in the possession of a third party in the Boston area, who has the labels for the un-done kits, and will finish off the process of them (and I will personally pay back their costs to mail these out).
The dozens (maybe over a hundred) international packages, I have taken with me back to NY to make customs forms and then post. This would be the boxes and the t-shirts. I ask for a little patience with these - I'm leaving for the UK on Thursday and I am going to do my best to have a nice day with my local post office to mail all these items out in an orderly fashion.
Even though technically some groups at the higher reward levels are not due boxes, I sent you boxes anyway. I thought you should have physical items at this stage and it was easier to do it during this process.
After all this is done, we will then have some set of unsent items, either because the person never gave an address (they will be contacted) or because they requested not to be sent one (some of you might be getting one anyway). This will settle the "boxes" part of the rewards to that of a "normal" shipping situation, where addresses bounce, not all information is in the right place, and so on. I am sure I and the rest of the board (and Schuyler) will be happy when that is the "only" part left to that phase of this process.
Now, regarding the picks.
On August 13th, I announced that the board had taken control of this situation. It is now 13 days later (August 26th) and 800+ packages of material are in the mail of items promised to the backers. Some have already gotten these packages, a majority will get them (barring the usual issues with mail) in a few days.
We got to this benchmark by splitting Schuyler's situation into multiple phases after asking questions: what items exist now? What is needed to close out these items as "shipped"? (Significant volunteer effort and money) What needs to be pushed to the next phase?
Volunteers (and Schuyler) were able to get to this point with a focus on the now and the available, instead of the "should be" and the "might". This phase is not quite over, as mentioned about the boxes in the trunk of my car and some blank spaces in spreadsheets and so on. But it will likely be done within a week.
At that point, I and the rest of the board will turn our full attention to the remaining items. Some, like the custom cases promised one level of backers, exist and will be shipped to them. Others, like the picks, are more involved and with more unknowns.
As with the boxes, our approach will be clarity, consistently produced updates, and a willingness to decide definitively what will come of the next phase, be it success or failure.
From the time we took over two weeks and nine updates ago, that's been our approach, and it continues to be. Thanks to everyone for their understanding.