Status Report for September 25
More updates from the two branches of the project.
BOXES OF SWAG AND LOCKS
- If you e-mailed us with a change of your address, or other commentary, all those mails have been gone through. We SHOULD have all that caught up. Thank you for your promptness and kind words and suggestions.
- We have a whole range of people without addresses in the backer reports. It's not clear how this might happen, since the reports are generated by Kickstarter, but it has happened in some cases. We are therefore about to send out a mass e-mail asking those people with empty address entries for their mailing address. The e-mail will come from Jason Aller, and request you send in a mailing address.
- Upon the return of the Boston shipper at the beginning of October (so roughly a week from now), we'll be doing a cleanup mailing out of missing $35 backers, of addresses that have been filled in, and a few bounced addresses we'll have since corrected.
- Naturally, we'll likely still have a few unfinished processes, but the hope is this will be down in the realm of a half dozen or dozen at most, as these large-scale mailings often end up. We might list those names here (nothing not already in the backer report, of course) to get them shored up.
- Thanks again for your patience as we work through these.
- The CAD drawings of the planned picks were released some time ago, but the opinion of the board was to put them on the Internet Archive (archive.org) to ensure the plans are not subject to Schuyler's fortunes or hosting. These CAD plans are available under a Creative Commons 3.0 SA license here: http://archive.org/details/2012-schuyler-towne-rev3-cad-etching
- A pair of the intended sheets of metal were purchased, and sent to an etcher. That etcher is now making a set of prototype picks for Schuyler to try out. He is to provide photographs of the prototype picks when they are assembled, and they will be posted immediately on this kickstarter page.
- Once the picks are signed off by Schuyler, the board will then have a small first run of picks made and sets will be mailed out to a subset of backers for in-the-field testing. There are many ways to do such a selection of a subset, but we're just going to start at the most-invested backers and work downwards. We will notify the general backers that this has been done.
- We will then wait for receipt of these picks and ask that the receivers use the picks for a short period of time, testing them for any unexpected aspects or flaws or other issues that might require revision.
- When the picks are considered field-approved, the picks will begin being made in earnest, as fast as possible, and shipped out as fast as possible.
- Please understand there can't be any dates for this, as mistakes made previously were to give hard dates and also to buy entire lots of items before ensuring that a small lot of items was what was needed.
- Photos will be taken along all these steps.
Thank you again for your patience and understanding as the board works to close out this project.
pledged of $6,000 goal
seconds to go
Jul 15, 2010 - Sep 24, 2010
Pledge $5 or more
Anyone who donates will get templates of the tools in EPS, PDF, PNG, SVG, etc. formats (basically every format I can export, which will include CAD files) along with instructions for making these tools yourself. I'll offer material suggestions and finishing ideas too.
Pledge $20 or more
Practice Makes Perfect! A practice kit with 3 locks progressively pinned, security pins, tweezers, plug follower and instructions for repinning your own locks. All packaged in a lovely tin. [+ Templates!]
Pledge $35 or more
Hors d'Oeuvres! A set of 5 picks! There will be two options available, either 5 advanced picks or 5 starter picks. Your choice! This selection will come with a small case as well. [+ Templates + Practice Kit]
Pledge $50 or more
First Course! A set of 10 picks! There will be two options available, either the 10 starter picks or the 10 advanced picks. This selection will come with a large case as well. [+ Templates + Practice Kit]
Pledge $75 or more
Main Course! The full set of 20 picks! You will get every pick I have designed from the starters right through to the advanced designs. This selection will come with a large case as well. [+ Templates + Practice Kit]
Pledge $100 or more
Save room for Dessert! A hand screened, 2 color "Open Locksport" t-shirt and a bunch of other Open Locksport shwag. Temporary Tattoos? Absolutely! Stickers? Heck yes! And more! [+ Templates + Practice Kit + 20 Picks]
Pledge $250 or more
10 backers All gone!
Custom Kit & Full access to me! My Mother, who did all of the prototyping for the pick cases, will make you a custom, hand made pick case to your specifications, including any illustration or dedication you may want. Additionally, you'll be given everything I've ever written or recorded on the subject of Locks & get 3 hours of Skype time with me to ask questions, discuss locks, run demos, whatever you want. [+ Templates + Practice Kit + 20 Picks + Shwag]
Pledge $500 or more
Lock Library! 50 Locks of various types, including pin tumblers, wafers, levers, and dial & sesame combo locks. 30 individual picks and the full set of 20 in a case. You'll also get handcuffs and a cutaway pin tumbler to help explain how they work. You'll also get all of the shwag of the $100 level! Great for new clubs and hackerspaces.
Pledge $1,000 or more
Uber Lock Library! Everything in the Lock Library times 2! 100 locks! 60 individual picks! 2 full sets of 20 in cases! 2 different sets of handcuffs and a 2 cutaways! One of a pin-tumbler lock, one of the locking mechanism in handcuffs! In addition to all of this I'll send you training materials. Nicely illustrated guides to lockpicking, impressioning, bumping, overlifting, etc. etc! I can guarantee 10 different reproducible worksheets and I'm hoping to do 20+!
Pledge $2,500 or more
2 backers All gone!
Physical classroom! I fly to you! I'll bring the picks, locks, handcuffs, combo locks, cutaways, high security locks, and, most importantly, the knowledge, to run 2 days of classes for as many people you like. You let me know how many people I can expect and your nearest airport and I'll do the rest. Great for Colleges & Universities, Hackerspaces w/large membership, offices or law enforcement! (This offer open to continental US only. If you are outside of the US & want to subsidize the airfare, we can talk!)