TorchShips is a 3-D space combat game for Windows & Mac using real physics with procedurally generated single and multiplayer missions.
TorchShips - Real 3-D Space Combat
TorchShips is a 3-D tactical space combat game based on real physics with procedurally generated single and multi-player missions. It will be released for Windows & Mac first, and then later for the iPad.
This isn't your grandpa's space fighter. You're not looking out a grimy cockpit window using a joystick to kill an enemy a kilometer away who flies like they're an airplane in an atmosphere.
You are the captain of a TorchShip - powered by a Gaseous core fission / nuclear thermal reaction drive and armed with nuclear missiles, laser cannons, and a kinetic lance. You will maneuver in 3-D space in a crowded gravity well and engage hostiles at ranges of up to 20,000 kilometers.
- 3-D combat & UI - space is not flat, and neither is TorchShips.
- Newtonian physics - your ship maneuvers in 3-D space using a reaction drive.
- Damage & Systems control - detailed damage model and systems control - you'll have to manage heat build up, fuel, and reaction mass levels.
- Weapons include your own reaction drive, kinetic lance, missiles/mines, and laser cannons.
- Procedurally generated single and multi-player campaigns against human and non-human opponents.
- Fast set up skirmish modes.
- Crew development
- Customize your ship, name and weapon/system load-out.
- FTL is used to link scenarios and battles. (yes... we know Faster Than Light travel is handwavium - but it allows us to add many more masspoint systems and environments to the combat scenarios without bogging down in multi-year transit times...)
- A rich background with hundreds of human cultures and dozens of alien races.
Your first spacecraft in the game is an armed freighter – rebuilt for light combat, scouting, and convoy raiding. Approximately 150 meters long with a 5 person crew. Here is a comparison shot alongside the USS Saratoga – a US Navy carrier launched in 1955 AD (the Saratoga is 324 meters long). (USS Saratoga model credit – WilliamT)
We're using Kickstarter to fund the following items
- Server and hosting fees for multi-player portion of the game during the beta test and initial launch
- Unity Pro & Team License
- Professional 3-D art & models
- Additional sounds and music created for the game
- Development of additional levels, systems, and features.
- Polish, fine-tuning, and game-play balance.
Inspirations and Credits
We used the sites listed below as references to get the physics of future space combat as 'real' as possible.
Your pledge of $10 or greater will get you a digital DRM free copy of the final game when it’s released. We do not know yet what the primary method of distribution will be, but regardless we will give you a copy for Windows & Mac.
Goal is to be content complete within 3-4 months and then release the game by end of October. This is subject to change.
Pledging $25 or more will give you access to the closed Beta. The specific date is still uncertain but we will attempt to start it within two months of the end of the Kickstarter campaign. Here is what we know now:
- The Beta will require Windows or Mac.
- It will initially be available only to Kickstarter backers.
The requirements are all subject to change.
- OS: Windows (XP/Vista/7), MacOS
- Processor: 2ghz Core 2 Duo
- The TorchShips site can be found at torchships.com.
- If you have any questions or concerns please see the FAQ or contact us.
- Sign up for notifications about the game on our site.
- Follow us on twitter at @torchships
- Like us on Facebook.
Together we can create a fun, realistic space combat game - thank you for your support.
We are using Unity3d (http://unity3d.com/) to build TorchShips. Unity as this point does not officially support deployment to Linux. There are rumored plans for Unity to support LInux, if and when they do we will release a client for Linux as well.
pledged of $40,000 goal
seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful This project reached the deadline without achieving its funding goal on June 17, 2012.
May 18, 2012 - Jun 17, 2012 (30 days)
Pledge $1 or more
Thank you very much for contributing to the TorchShips Kickstarter!Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $10 or more
Receive a digital DRM free copy of TorchShips when it is released later this year for Windows & Mac.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Receive the above reward and get access to the closed beta where you can play the unfinished game and help us make it better.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $40 or more
Receive the above rewards, a digital copy of the TorchShip soundtrack and a thank you in the game's credits.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $80 or more
Receive the above rewards, an extra game & beta key for anyone you name, and an early release PDF instruction manual with history, tactical tips and more.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $100 or more
30 backers Limited (70 of 100 left)
Receive the above rewards, a limited edition poster and your name will placed in the game as a captain of an AI opponent corvette class starship.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $110 or more
Receive the above rewards, plus a boxed physical copy of the game with printed manual (international please add $20 to your pledge)Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $500 or more
2 backers Limited (3 of 5 left)
Receive the above rewards and work with us to design and create a custom ship class within the game that will be available either to other players or the AI opponent.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (3 of 3 left)
The above rewards and work with us to create one of the human governments in the game - including planet names, history, technology, and tactics. Plus a very special thanks in the game credits.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $2,000 or more
0 backers Limited (3 of 3 left)
In addition to the $500 and less rewards, you will to help us create a new alien race! Determine their technology level, ship designs, weapons, and tacticsEstimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $5,000 or more
0 backers Limited (1 of 1 left)
The above rewards and a credit as executive producer in the game credits.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012