Take HD action video with your iPhone. Iconic.am is waterproof, shockproof, and lightweight. Mounts to your wrist or chest. It's legit!
Boarders, wanderers, and dreamers... just like you. We believe that life moves fast and that you have to live in the moment. For us, that means seeking and owning every intense, breathless, heart-in-your-throat drop that mother nature has to offer. We also believe in sharing our passions and experiences with friends & family. That's what Iconic.am is all about: living, capturing, and sharing.
We made Iconic.am because we need it. We were tired of putting our iPhones in sandwich bags to keep them dry on the mountain and it was lame having to pack our cameras separately. So, we decided to put the two together and we came up with Iconic.am. It keeps your phone dry and protects it when you crash. Even better, you can stick it on your wrist, chest, thigh (or any of these body parts on a buddy or girlfriend) and take advantage of your iPhone's ability to record in HD video; the iPhone 4 records in 720p HD (television quality) and the new iPhone 4S records in 1080p HD and has video-image stabilization built in!
The bottom line is that Iconic.am is an excellent alternative to GoPro and other expensive camera systems. In fact, we've found it to be even better because we don't have to carry multiple devices on the mountain. Iconic.am is designed for hardcore action sports enthusiasts. It's rugged yet lightweight. It's well-engineered but still looks chill. It's minimalistic yet fully functional... just like life should be.
How Iconic.am Works
Get one, download/start our Iconicam app from iTunes (it's free), and stick your phone inside it. Iconic.am comes with a super durable wrist mount and a conversion kit that will allow you to attach it to your chest in less than a minute. With these two mounts, Iconic.am will attach pretty much anywhere on your arms, legs, or torso.
The Iconic.am app turns your iPhone's video recorder ON without you having to touch the screen. All you do is swipe the included keychain pendent past it to turn it on; swipe it past again and it turns off and automatically saves your video. It works like a charm, seriously, we put some time into getting this right. The chillest thing is that Iconic.am comes with a bottle opener / keychain (shaped like a snowboard of course) that you can attach to your jacket and use to turn on/off Iconic.am on the mountain... it's also useful for opening refreshments at the end of (or during) the day.
What We've Done So Far
We've been working like crazy to get Iconic.am on the market before Christmas. We started designing the wrist strap and researching case designs in late August and recently finished both.
We've also spent a lot of time perfecting our app. We didn't realize how important the app was until we got our first prototype built and started using it on the mountain. It's sooooo key to not have to touch the screen on your phone when you want to start/stop the video cam. The app makes sure that you're always ready to shoot and that you're not sitting on the snow fooling around with your phone missing the action.
In addition, Iconic.am is designed so that you can use your phone (the touchscreen works) through the case. This means that you can get through an entire day on the mountain shooting video while keeping your phone safe and dry.
Why KickStarter? What We Will Do With the Funding
- First, and perhaps most importantly, we need to prove to ourselves that we're not the only four guys on earth that want this.
- Second, we bootstrapped the entire project ourselves and used all of our funds developing and researching cases, wrist/chest straps, app, website, and the first production run of 100 units. If we meet our fundraising goal on KickStarter then we can do a second production run of 200 units and put more of these on the mountain.
- Third, we really want to create a helmet/head-mounted Point-Of-View (POV) mount for Iconic.am. We already have the design and a rough prototype for the POV mount but the tooling costs (for injection molding) are way out of our budget.
- Fourth, the current case is IPX7-rated waterproof, which is awesome and means that it can be used for watersports. We want to design and prototype new models for surfing (board-mounted), snorkeling, wakeboarding, and all other high-impact watersports. This would allow us to expand, grow, and make Iconic.am available to many more of our fellow boarders.
- Fifth, we had to restrict Iconic.am to iPhone 4/4S due to our bootstrap budget but there's a lot of boarders out there that have Droid phones. Once we get some units sold and demonstrate a need for the product, we'll go through our design/prototype/manufacturing process again to make a model that supports the most popular Droid devices.
Features & Benefits of Iconic.am
- Waterproof: IPX7-rated, which means that it'll keep your phone safe and dry in water up to 3ft in depth.
- Lightweight: the case and wrist strap together weigh only 12oz.
- Low Profile: It's only 7/8" thick and slightly bigger than your iPhone in all dimensions.
- Shockproof: we put it to the test with our own coveted iPhones inside and time after time, it kept them safe.
- Accessible: you can use the app to start recording without having to touch the screen. The touchscreen is usable through the case and it's designed with impervious sound ports so that you can use your phone while it's in the case.
- Looks Amazing: we get it -you don't want to look like a kook on the mountain... neither do we. That's why Iconic.am looks as sick as it does.
Thanks Again For Your Support!
If you're as stoked on Iconic.am as we are, please help us get the word out by sharing this page with your friends on Facebook. Also, keep coming back here because we're going to be updating this with all our updates.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $10,000 goal
seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful This project reached the deadline without achieving its funding goal on January 15, 2012.
Dec 15, 2011 - Jan 15, 2012 (31 days)
Pledge $1 or more
EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS! Thank you so much for helping us make Iconic.am a reality! We're going to send you a chill sticker kit and list you as a supporter on our website and our Facebook page.Estimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $4 or more
CHEERS BUDDY! We would buy you a beer if we could but we'll have to settle for sending you a Logo bottle opener keychain (shaped like a snowboard) and list you as a supporter on our website and our Facebook page.Estimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $28 or more
WEAR US ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. We're printing up some pretty sick t-shirts. So, if you love our logo and wanna rep us, we'd be eternally grateful! We've got Men's (M, L, XL) and Women's (XS, S, M). Thanks so much for keeping the dream alive!Estimated delivery: Feb 2012
Pledge $65 or more
AN ICONIC NEW YEAR! We're so stoked on your support that we're going to give you an amazing Kickstarter deal: $15 off the retail price ($80). We'll ship these in the first week of January so that you can shoot the rest of this season.Estimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $95 or more
RIDE AND REP! We'll send you so much Iconic.am gear that your friends will think you're sponsored. You'll get a complete Iconic.am plus a t-shirt both at Kickstarter-only prices. We'll throw in a couple of bottle openers as well. Our shirts come in: Men's (M, L, XL) and Women's (XS, S, M).Estimated delivery: Feb 2012
Pledge $120 or more
THE GIFT OF GIVING! You get two complete Iconic.am packages and, of course, we'll throw in a couple extra bottle openers. With two Iconic.ams and a friend, you can take some pretty intense footage back and forth.Estimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $495 or more
FEATURED RETAILER: You will receive 10 individually wrapped and labeled shelf ready iconic.am's. We will direct people to your store on our "Where to Buy" page and work with you to get promo bottle openers and shirtsEstimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $2,500 or more
BECOME AN ANGEL. We have big goals for Iconic.am and are serious about turning it into a successful business. If you believe in our project and team and have the means to help us be successful, we would be honored to have you as an advisor to our team. Please feel free to pledge as an Iconic.am Angel and we'll get in touch with you personally to discuss how you can be involved. This really is the kind of support that we need the most so thank you for being there for us!Estimated delivery: Jan 2012