So it’s time for us to reveal our secret weapon, someone who has been working with us tirelessly behind the scenes to bring OUYA to life, and today we’re pulling back the curtain.
Meet Muffi Ghadiali from our team, who is in charge of making the OUYA product, hardware and software.
Muffi joined OUYA from Lab126, a part of Amazon, where he worked on the Kindle line of products.
I thought it would be best if you heard directly from him, so he wrote to you...
I’m Muffi, and I want to tell you a little bit about what we’re working on at OUYA.
I came out of Lab126’s product team where I worked on the Kindle line -- hardware and software. I worked every day with engineering, product design, industrial design, operations, supply chain, and QA teams.
I joined OUYA because I saw--early on--the potential for an open technology to change how gaming works. Gamers are unique. They are sophisticated and they follow products from the first idea all the way to market. For a product guy like me, that's exciting. We're getting a lot of feedback, great support and lots of questions. Sometimes those are tough questions but they keep me at the top of my game. It's pretty cool that Kickstarter facilitates a direct dialogue with future users.
My job at OUYA is to ensure that we meet the needs of gamers and developers.
In short, I’m here to deliver OUYA.
I know from experience that this can be done:
- I’ve built consumer technology products for more than 15 years--both hardware and software. I’ve worked on set-top boxes, media streaming devices, handheld devices, content services, and other big consumer products.
- I’ve been playing a key role in designing the path that will take OUYA to market, from technology to production.
- And while it may seem aggressive, the technology here is actually fairly standard. We’re not building a hovercraft or a nano-bot.
- If you look online at the teardowns of other devices with some of the same components, you’ll see that our device can be built for well under $99.
- What IS innovative is the beautiful design from Yves Behar, and our model for working with game developers. From my perspective, I’m tackling the easy part.
So here’s what we’re doing now...
- Developers, we’re working to get an SDK in your hands as fast as we can, please be patient. It will be pretty simple to start, using the existing Android SDK and adding the ability to promote your game, and to charge OUYA customers. We’ll add to it as we go.
- We’re getting our ducks in a row on the hardware production. NVIDIA is helping us with production designs, and selecting the right device manufacturer. We’re in talks with a few manufacturers. I was just playing with our circuit board yesterday.
- NVIDIA is also helping us maximize the performance of our Tegra 3 chips -- they’ll work even better than the demos you see online. We’ll be able to support some intense games.
And we heard your feedback: yes, yes, we’ll add an Ethernet jack. We have a lot of consoles to make, so I wouldn’t expect too many more changes to the spec.
Please keep sending your comments. We are doing everything to deliver for you.
Again, thank you to the almost 40,000 of you (!!) who are backing OUYA -- we can’t wait to get it in your hands.
P.S. Muffi is also hiring some engineers to join our team. So if you know the Android OS well, and want to help us make OUYA, hit us up. (We bet you can figure out a way to get in touch with him...)
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Join our wild ride. RESERVE YOUR USERNAME before the launch rush. Every little bit brings us one step closer to a new kind of console. The more we raise, the more we can accomplish. You'll get updates as we go on our journey.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Reserve your username, plus get a FOUNDER EMBLEM forever emblazoned next to your username.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $95 or moreYou selected
1000 backers All gone!
GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Plus the rewards above. This is for early birds -- we can only offer a limited number at this price. (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $99 or moreYou selected
46126 backers Limited (33874 left of 80000)
GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Guarantee we will have one available for you, before it gets to stores. Plus the rewards above. We're figuring out how many we can make! (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $140 or moreYou selected
Limited Edition Backer Exclusive -- Only available for our LAST week of Kickstarter. Let everyone know you are an early backer of OUYA. Get our exclusive, limited edition rich BROWN BRUSHED METAL FINISH OUYA. It’s a work of art! You’ll also get the earlier rewards. (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $225 or moreYou selected
2500 backers All gone!
Kickstarter exclusive. Reserve an OUYA plus two controllers -- each with your username ETCHED into it, so they're uniquely yours. (Same shipping costs, and you also get to reserve your username and get a founder emblem.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $699 or moreYou selected
600 backers All gone!
Developer Special. A first-run OUYA (already rooted so you can just get going), EARLY SDK ACCESS, an extra controller, and we'll help you get started. We'll also help you promote your game for ONE YEAR, and your games will be marked with a FOUNDER EMBLEM.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,337 or moreYou selected
226 backers Limited (174 left of 400)
Elite Developer Special. You receive the Developer Special plus the email equivalent of a hotline into OUYA—a closely guarded email address that gives you direct access to our team and priority handling. But wait, there’s more: YOU AND A FRIEND ARE INVITED TO THE OUYA LAUNCH PARTY in Los Angeles. Warm up those biceps because you’ll be lifting a serious gift bag packed with goodies we’re keeping secret until the party.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
4 backers Limited (26 left of 30)
For the designer's designer. WE’LL PUT YOU UP IN SAN FRANCISCO FOR A DAY WITH YVES BEHAR. Hang with Yves and his team at fuseproject, discuss the creation and development of OUYA (of course we'll give you one when they're ready), and spend time within a community of extraordinary product designers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
12 backers Limited (8 left of 20)
The Angel List. The entire first production run of consoles will have YOUR USERNAME and BACKER NUMBER ENGRAVED INTO IT (and of course you'll get one). We’ll invite you and a friend to a private dinner before our launch party with our inner circle of game developers and designers. And, of course, we’ll love you forever.Estimated delivery:
- (29 days)