Gameplay. The Big Update!
Apologies in advance for the length of this update, but many of you have asked for details on how gameplay will work, and here they are.
Please be sure to get your friends to back us too. We are still a long way from our target. Thanks for your support!
What is Incantor?
Incantor is built to play like an MMOG but in the real world. Your wand is your weapon and a sophisticated game controller that does everything by gesture recognition.
To achieve all the goals in the game and level up you must use your wand, paired with your smartphone, in the real world.
There are hazards, items, creatures and power ups that will be pushed to your approximate location that will constantly add challenging and rewarding opportunities for you and your Binding (the equivalent of a Guild in Incantor).
And…of course…there is battle between Incantors. Many different modes are supported from one on one straight up duels to binding vs. binding to capture the flag to last man standing and much more. Battles happen in real time. It's not turn based, unless you feel like cutting your opponent a break ;-)
Ongoing stats will be captured live and rolled up into local, regional and national player standings.
There will be a rich multi-modal interface on your smart phone with all the UI information you’ve come to expect from an MMOG. You can play fast and furious in real time with all of your friends, displayed in a fantastic map overlay showing your actual physical location.
You win by depleting your opponent’s vitus (life points).
Battle is all about using spells, virtual hazards and magical artifacts to effect vitus of your binding, your opponents, or yourself by:
- Depleting it
- Restoring it
- Protecting it
Spells and magic are the tools you have to achieve all your goals and there will be literally hundreds of spells with level and modifier variations.
All spells have a cool down time and different effective distances. Some spells do their damage or effect over time. Some spells are area spells like land mines or shields.
All classes have more complicated and unique spells they add, learn and earn
Some other tidbits:
– An Incantor typically only carries 10 spells ready to use in his virtual spell bag for each battle.
– There are five realms with five flavors of magic: Red, white, blue, black, green
– Each Incantor makes a wand from two parts to pair with an Incantor master in one of the five realms.
- The Handle of your wand indicates your magic color/realm
- The Tip of your wand establishes your light or dark orientation
- Bolt – single damage dealing spell
- Mend – Healing spell for self
- Ward – Damage prevention shield
- Diffuse – Enemy spell cancellation
– You can own and level up more than one wand but you can only play a single wand per battle or quest (a bit like having several characters you are leveling up in an MMOG)
– You level up through experience points gained in battles and challenges
- Leveling up makes you more powerful: You get some new spells Some existing spells get slowly stronger
- Your vitus does not change (keeps game workable with different levels)
- You get access to deeper lore and privileges in bindings (guilds)
The Classes of Incantors
There are ten classes of incantors that you can choose from when choosing what kind of wand you want. Just like in any good MMOG, those classes all have different powers and abilities as well as uniquely different roles in the game.
Incantor Basic Class Descriptions
Red Realm: Damage Dealers. Uses the magical elements of fire and lightning. A realm of extremes and powerful emotions. Pure Warriors of damage.
- Red Handle, Light Tip: Sorcerer. Heavy hitter, glass jaw.
- Red Handle, Dark Tip: Warlock. Hit and run, assassin.
Blue Realm: Damage Preventers or Reversers. Uses the magical elements of Water or Ice. Culture of healing and the flow of vitus (lifeforce).
- Wand with Blue Handle, Light Tip: Priest. True healer, doesn’t fight back.
- Wand with Blue Handle, Dark Tip: Adept. Stops damage by befuddling enemy spells before they are cast.
Green Realm: Make themselves high priority targets i.e. Tanks. Uses the magical elements of earth and growth. Culture of survival of the fittest using magic to create strength and perseverance.
- Wand with Green Handle, Light Tip: Warden Hard to kill, protects allies.
- Wand with Green Handle, Dark Tip: Druid Plague bearer, Dangerous to leave alone, high value target.
White Realm: Supporters with some healing Uses the magical elements of light. Culture of alliances and strength of numbers.
- Wand with White Handle, Light Tip: Paladin Powers up allies. High value in high exchange battles.
- Wand with White Handle, Dark Tip: Occultist Beware where you stand! Able to ensorcel locations and situations.
Black Realm: Masters of Death, Loners. Use the magical elements of Shadow, corruption and death. Culture of the cycle of life. Rebirth and death through corruption are their primary powers.
- Wand with Black Handle, Light Tip: Necromancer Takes advantage of weakness. Reverses death.
- Wand with Black Handle, Dark Tip: Sangromancer The leach of vitus and power.
Roles Within Classes:
– DPS (Damage per Second): Classes with a DPS role focus on dealing damage to enemy targets.
– Corruption: Classes with a corruption role rot their enemies. There are two types of damage, instant and damage over time. Damage over time could be through curses placed on opponents.
– Tank: Protects allies through Wards/Redirection, allowing them to take the brunt of the fire rather than their friends. They often sacrifice damage capabilities for extreme defense and survivability.
– Healing: Keeps allies alive by healing their wounds. These classes are often very low on damage and survivability but play a pivotal role for their team. Alone, healers are weaker than other classes, but gain experience at an increased rate.
– Buffer: These classes support their team with a hybrid role, performing one of the above roles while making the rest of their team stronger through incantations that improve abilities or shorten cooldowns.
– Debuffer: These classes perform a hybrid of DPS/Tank/Healing, but also weaken the opposing team by extending cooldowns or reducing defensive/offensive capabilities.
– Control: Another hybrid role that focuses on controlling the flow of battle, often through dangerous zones place on the area or counter-incantations.
– Defensive: Often paired with tank classes, this hybrid role focuses on huge prevention abilities, but sacrifices other capabilities.
– Revival: A very unique role performed by few classes. This role drains all combat capabilities for the incredibly powerful ability to revive an ally from the dead in various ways.
Congratulations if you made it this far. That's a lot to digest, and as you would guess we can talk about this stuff for many many hours.
More coming soon.
Don't forget to get your friends to back the project! Let's make this happen.
pledged of $100,000 goal
seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful This project reached the deadline without achieving its funding goal on June 8, 2012.
May 11, 2012 - Jun 8, 2012 (28 days)
Pledge $10 or more
Incantor Primus: Be recognized as an early supporter of Incantor for all time inside the game! Increase your odds of getting the player name you really want with early access to our site. You'll be able to build your profile before it launches to the public. You'll also receive a digital badge and title showing your status as a Primus Incantor.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Incantor Primus: Get all the privileges from the previous level of support and get to skip to the front of the line and have first access to order your very own Incantor wand!Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $50 or more
Incantor Primus: This includes everything in the earlier tiers of support plus early access to our digital comics and the Lore that is the basis for Incantor. Early access to Lore may significantly improve your success in the game!Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $65 or more
5 backers Limited (195 of 200 left)
Incantor Primus: Just the wand. Includes everything in the earlier tiers of support plus you will recieve one of the very first production wands. Please note: this is not a limited edition wand like the $100, but still, it's a magic wand people!Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $100 or more
52 backers Limited (448 of 500 left)
Incantor Nobilis: Get ready to play. You get all of the Incantor Primus benefits, and you will receive a customized production Incantor wand exclusive to early supporters. We'll be shipping these at the end of 2012, before any other wands go on sale! Please see our shipping details before pledging (in the FAQ).Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $250 or more
9 backers Limited (91 of 100 left)
Incantor Nobilis for 2! Playing Incantor with friends is a great way to experience the game. Receive two of the limited edition Incantor wands scheduled to ship at the end of 2012. Both will be armed with a special spell that is exclusive to wands that were ordered as a pair. You'll both also receive the benefits of Incantor Primus supporters. Please see our shipping details before pledging (in the FAQ).Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $500 or more
2 backers Limited (48 of 50 left)
Incantor Regium: Participate in the early development of Incantor! In October we'll send you a beta Incantor wand, you'll also get early access to the Incantor community and be able to participate in forums to provide feedback with the Incantor team. Receive all of the benefits of Incantor Nobilis supporter, so you'll get the production Incantor wand at no additional cost when it becomes available. Please see our shipping details before pledging (in the FAQ).Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (30 of 30 left)
Incantor Potens: Own a piece of the Incantor Lore with a limited edition, signed, museum quality Giclée art print. You'll additionally get free wand repair for life should your Incantor wand ever become damaged (please see the details in the FAQ before pledging). You'll also receive all the benefits of being a Incantor Regium supporter.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $2,500 or more
0 backers Limited (30 of 30 left)
Incantor Regulus: Join the world's first official Incantor battle and be a part of the development of Incantor. We'll be hosting a weekend in September in Providence RI, where we'll be holding our first real world trials of Incantor on the battlefield! Not only will you be amongst the first invitees to the Incantor community, you'll also pick up a pre-production Incantor wand in person! Give feedback to the production team and have a blast trying it first. You'll also get all the benefits that Incantor Potens supporters receive, which means you'll get a production wand too! Note that travel is not included with this benefit.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $3,500 or more
0 backers Limited (20 of 20 left)
Incantor Rex: Become an ultimate supporter of Incantor. Not only do you get all the benefits of being a Incantor Potens supporter, you'll also get some very exclusive privileges to go with it both in game and in real life. Any wand technological, functional or aesthetic revisions we make will be sent to you for life, so you'll always have the latest and greatest Incantor wand. Please see our FAQ for details.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $4,500 or more
0 backers Limited (10 of 10 left)
Incantor Regium for 10 people! If you have a group or guild this is for you! In October 2012 we'll ship a set of ten beta wands, that represent the ten classes of Incantors, for you and your team to play with. Participate in the community of other early testers and provide feedback and shape the experience! Every member also gets all of the Incantor Regium benefits, which includes a production Incantor wand. Please see our FAQ for details.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $5,000 or more
0 backers Limited (10 of 10 left)
Incantor Conditor: Play a very important role in the development of Incantor by working with the design team to create a unique spell for the game. For all your hard work and creativity, the spell is yours to name. This also includes all of the benefits of the Incantor Rex status. All of the spells attributes and name are subject to the final approval of the Incantor team, but dream big!Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $7,500 or more
0 backers Limited (5 of 5 left)
Incantor Magister: Receive all of the same benefits as an Incantor Conditor supporter, but the spell you create will only be yours to use as it's bound exclusively to your Incantor wand. This is a chance to not only design part of the Incantor experience, but have something that separates your Incantor wand from all others.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $10,000 or more
0 backers Limited (2 of 2 left)
Incantor Imperialis: Create something that's one of a kind! Work with the design team at Incantor to modify our existing wand sculpt into something that's unique and custom for you and you alone. This also includes all of the benefits of the Incantor Rex status. All designs are subject to the approval of the Incantor team and must be based on existing designs. If you have questions, let us know!Estimated delivery: Oct 2012