A new symbol for the city of New York.
the New York Sign
The NY Sign is a gesture performed with the hand that mimics the letters N and Y, as in New York. The hand sign is an art expression created by New York's artist Miguel Alonso, for a symbolic representation of New York City.
The idea of a New York symbol started some time ago, but was on a summer while biking in Central Park when the concept started to take shape. Since many tourists take photographs of monuments, sites and even New Yorkers, he started to think of a way to “answer back” to them, in a form that uniquely would belong to New York and would represent the New York life and culture; and sort of a way to say: "I made it here".
At present, New York City has several symbols, such as the Empire State, Statue of Liberty, the apple, the “I love NY” logo..., however, none of them let people interact and “communicate”. Having this in mind, the idea evolved into the creation of a symbol that could easily be performed, interact, providing at the same time, a strong message. The result of the artistic expression turned into a greeting (or pose) in the form of a hand sign gesture.
As previously mentioned, NY Sign is not just limiting the expression to a visual concept, it is also a representation of the intrinsic meaning of New York. In a way, the fingers index and middle forming a V shape, represent the V as in Victory, like an achievement. Something that all New Yorkers in certain way look for, when they plan to live and “make it” in New York. A harsh and emblematic city, that once you conquer, will become gracefully part of you.The gesture adds a kick, since forming the perfect hand sign isn't an easy task. The idea is that “only a real New Yorker” will be able to perform it correctly, since it takes some practice to stretch the fingers to form a perfect N and Y letters.
In conclusion, our goal is to promote the new sign for New York that will not only become a symbol for the city, but also an interactive way of communication between people that belong to the same community or have a profound love for New York. We want to inspire everyone, that they can make it in New York, and this is the right city for it.
So what is the project and how are we going to make it?The total project length is about 2 months and is divided into the following phases:
- 1st Phase: We will spread the word to make people aware of the NY Sign at different levels: from social networking, online and print media, to the local news. A team of collaborators are already about to launch this phase.
- 2nd Phase: A series of “flash mob” performances in New York City. We expect to gather several hundred people. Exact location and sketch are undisclosed as of now, and only participants will know the details on the previous and same days of the events. Don’t worry, it won’t be anything embarrassing or dangerous, just the opposite, a fun and emotional experience that will truly make you feel: “I really love NY”.
UPDATE: find the teaser of our first Flash Mob that took place on June 23rd
- 3rd Phase: An art exhibition with all the material shot during the flash mobs (videos, surprising photographs) and NY Sign related works of art. This event will be held at the amazing Orensanz Foundation on the Lower East Side.
And what is the funding for?
As you can already tell, your monetary contribution will help us with:
- Logistics for the flash mobs, including rental of video and photo gear.
- Contribution to Orensanz Foundation to cover space and logistics for the art happening.- Filming and editing of videos about New York life including the sign gesture, plus video edition of the flash mob event.
- Collateral material associated with the events and rewards:
- A series of mixed media and acrylic paintings (between 5 and 7) with New York sites backgrounds featuring the hand sign.
- Producing postcards, stickers, prints and T-shirts based on the above series of paintings.
To contact us with questions, comments, or suggestions, please send an e-mail to: email@example.com
Thank you for your support and we are glad you are becoming part of New York history.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $3,000 goal
seconds to go
May 25, 2012 - Jul 4, 2012 (40 days)
Pledge $1 or more
Because "a dollar is a dollar", your name will be posted on the official website as one of the people that supported the New York Sign. Become part of New York history! A heartfelt THANK YOU!!Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $5 or more
Your name on the official New York Sign website + a one-of-a-kind postcard (includes mailing everywhere in the world) with an authentic New York stampEstimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $10 or more
Your name on the official New York Sign website + a one-of-a-kind postcard (includes mailing everywhere in the world) with an authentic New York stamp + the NY Sign stickerEstimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $20 or more
Your name on the official New York Sign website + One New York Sign T-Shirt --- No charge for pickup in NY, or add $5 for US shipping or $10 for international shipping ---- NOTE this T-shirt is not signed by the artist)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Your name on the official New York Sign website + a signed by the artist limited edition of one-of-a-kind postcard (includes mailing everywhere in the world) + three NY Sign stickersEstimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $50 or more
2 backers Limited (1 of 3 left)
Reward #3 + one New York Sign T-shirtEstimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $50 or more
Reward #3 + one New York Sign T-Shirt signed by the artist. It includes shipping to both, US and International.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $100 or more
Your name on the official New York Sign website as an honored contributor + an artist’s signed 8x10 archival limited edition print of the original New York SignEstimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $250 or more
Your name on the official New York Sign website as an honored contributor + an artist’s signed 13x19 archival limited edition print of the original New York Hand SignEstimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $500 or more
Your name on the official New York Sign website as an honored contributor + an artist’s signed 20x30 limited edition gallery canvas wrap of the original New York Hand SignEstimated delivery: Jul 2012