Motion Comic Animated Short Film about an epic story of an on-going political war told in an alternate reality with cats and dogs.
Fubar – Extended Redux Edition
Its really great that the current version of the short film is getting all its great exposure and received well from audiences and press worldwide, but because of its over whelming current success I feel it is only right for me to get the opportunity to finish and release the film in its original final cut version which was not possible due to the strict personal funds available for me to make the current one. In a sense make the final finished version of Fubar. I guess you could say this is a similar angle with Ridley Scott and his Final Cut version of Blade-runner or Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse now – Redux Edition.
There was so much that could not be shot and animated from the script due to budget and resource constraints which if included would have completed the film especially with some of the characters, plot and story elements that didn't make it and the sequences such as the battle sequence at the start was written and designed to be as epic as possible and really play on the animalistic and territorial behavior of cats and dogs.
The idea is if you like the current short film and want to see the full version as it was originally intended for but due to lack of funds and resources the production had to be cut down to 8 minutes, then please pledge and fund the Extended Redux Edition.
So what is Fubar - Extended Redux Edition ?
- Additional 10 minutes added to the film to complete the original intended story and sequences (for example the battle sequence was way longer and more epic than currently but had to be cut down to fit the 8 mins time of the short film)
- Introduction of a few characters that didn’t make it such as the weapons business men who control the war with the corrupted politicians (they were only mentioned in the news reports in the current version).
- Alternative ending Mastered for Blu-Ray
- Extensive making of / Maxi-movie mode only on Bluray
- Mini- Art-book with renders from the film in full colour pages.
- Several versions of the posters (vertical and horizontal)
- The Full Epic Sound Track CD with tracks written that didn’t make it to the current version.
- Self-distribution with third party channels such as Amazon.
What will the kickstarter funds be used for?
- Paying Deelan the awesome Editor on this (he did the current version for free and worked reallyhard on it!)
- Paying Luis for the amazing audio / score work on this (he did the current version for free and worked really hard on it!)
- Graphic Design Layout work (Produced at Little Red Robot) with their talented designers) on the Bluray, artbook and DVD covers, inlays etc.
- Printing costs, duplication costs of Bluray and DVDs and Artbook
- DVD and Bluray Mastering
- Studio time to shoot the additional shots
- Recording of additional voice over material from original cast.
- Marketing and PR advertising costs
- Distribution setup costs
- Setting up a dedicated core vfx support artists to work on those additional shots with the director (who will be again doing most of the shots himself with support material such as Rotoscoping, paint and cleanup work provided to speed up the production and allow him to focus on creating the visual effects, animation and compositing of the sequences)
Feature your Cat or Dog in the Film as a character when you make Pledge
Just making a donation / pledge doesnt end there in terms of getting involved in supporting this project. Since Kickstarter is all about the community spirit in supporting projects if you have a cat or dog and would like it featured in the film as one of the marines, or additional characters then send over 3 - 5 images in several angles for it to be digitally placed into the animation. We will contact you if its selected to be in the film and of course your cat or dog gets a credit in the film too!
Watch the current version of the short film in HD on Vimeo
The quality on the kickstarter campaign had to be reduced in order to fit the file size limit. So if you would like to watch the HD version on vimeo then you can below, just press the HD button or full screen button.
The Making of Fubar - A Motion Comic Animated Film
If you are interested in the visual effects and animation process of making this film from a technical side of things then feel free to get all VFX tech-ed up with this making of.
There will be a more in-depth making of / Behind the scenes for Fubar - Extended Redux edition with interviews with the director, editor, producers, writers and Music Composer as well as a huge amount of behind the scenes showing the process of shooting to making the film. This will only be available on the Bluray version.
One of my favourite books of all time is George Orwells- Animal Farm. I loved the idea of using certain animals to depict the chain of command politically. With Fubar I chose specifically Cats and Dogs as they have always been territorial animals but at the same time reflect certain characteristics, which makes them, stand out from one another. Each of them have their strong and weak points yet they both strive for territories. I used that to create the world of Fubar and the metaphor of what’s happening around us today with the military, government, war, media and politics.
It means they provided the tools for free to make the film support the film from a technology / their product support level. In return I beta test versions of the tools being used in the film during production and also provide making of material showing how the tools were used to make the film when it’s done. So in a nutshell Fubar was like a test platform of a live production happening while I use the various beta versions of their tools to make the film.
The foundry (www.thefoundry.co.uk) provided Nuke which was the core VFX Production tool of Fubar because the USP was to make a film completely in Nuke by creating a sandbox environment inside Nukes 3d compositing space.
Motion comics are basically cut down animated versions of each comic book frame using cut outs from the artwork to create parallax and depth with each shot. Examples can be seen on the Bluray of “Inception” with the ‘Cobal Story’ or on the Bluray of “Predetors” which have several motion comic stories which didn’t get covered in the film and of course there is the Watchmen animated comic DVD.
What I wanted to do is use my VFX compositing experience to take motion comic cinema to another level with extra depth and production values but still keeping the core principles of motion comic story telling. With 2.5D compositing this opens up a load of possibilities to push the motion comic visuals with better animation and more depth and cinematography yet treating each shot like a comic book frame or panel with good pacing, framing and action. I wanted to get away from the usual static like animated action or comic book drawn visuals you get in most of these motion comics. I wanted a photography based visual look to the film.
pledged of $5,000 goal
seconds to go
Aug 25, 2011 - Sep 24, 2011 (30 days)
Pledge $10 or more
You get a thank you in the films ending creditEstimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $30 or more
you get a digital download of the film and a thank you on the films ending creditEstimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $70 or more
You get a digital download of the film, DVD copy of the film, signed poster and thank you on the films ending credit.Estimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $100 or more
You get a digital download of the film, Bluray copy of the film, signed poster and thank you on the films ending credit.Estimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $160 or more
You get a mini full colour art book of the film, digital download of the film bluray copy of the film, signed poster and thank you on the films ending creditEstimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $300 or more
You get the CD of the soundtrack of the film, digital download of the film, mini full colour artbook, bluray copy of the film, signed poster and a thank you on the films ending creditEstimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $500 or more
You get a associate producer credit on the film, IMDB credit, bluray copy of the film and mini full colour artbook.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
You get an Executive Produce credit on the film, an IMDB credit,, mini full colour artbook, bluray copy of the film, DVD copy of the film, CD soundtrack of the film and signed poster.Estimated delivery: Jan 2012