Kymera is the world's first Electric Jet Body Board! Now you can experience the water like never before and help save lives!
It's time to give KickStarter Fans Something to get excited about!
What if there was a new way to get out on the water without the hassle and expense of boating? What if we could open water sports up to everyone, not just a privileged few? And what if we could save lives and the environment at the same time? It's no longer a dream, Kymera is a revolutionary solution, not to one, but all of these problems. Kymera is small enough to fit in almost any vehicle, light enough to be carried by hand, and its simple design makes it a fraction of the cost of anything currently available. Better still, Kymera’s electric drive train makes it totally eco friendly and its unique heads up riding position gives you a ride like no other! All fun aside, with your support we will also help rescue swimmers reach drowning victims faster, by giving them the power they need when and where they need it. But we can't do it with out you!
The Back Story
The Tide Turns
It took 7 prototypes, a decade of R&D, and a team of experts, but the results have been nothing less than extraordinary. Being electric and only 48lbs, Kymera can be hand carried to the water, eliminating the need for a tow vehicle, trailer, launch ramp, gas, and hassle in general! Brace yourself! The flip the switch-and-go convenience along with the lack of noise and fumes will take some getting used to, but we're pretty sure your going to love it! With its small size you can store it almost anywhere. Opening up water sports to everyone - even if you live in small home or apartment.
We take safety seriously! Since the 1980's watercraft manufactures have been trapped in an arms race, building bigger, faster, more powerful PWC's every year. The most recent has topped the supercharged 300HP mark, with a top speed over 70mph and a fuel tank larger than most SUV's. With the bigger more commanding crafts, they have continued to push the speed to maintain the thrill. Kymera takes the opposite approach. Much as a go-cart at 30mph can feel faster than a Ferrari at 100mph, Kymera's heads up riding position gives you all the thrill while maintaining a safe speed.
Kymera is undeniably fun, but its utility to the brave men and women who risk their own lives to save others couldn't be ignored. Immediately after our first publication we were flooded with stories of close calls and grim outcomes from search and rescue teams. They pleaded that we see Kymera through to production. From that moment, the project took on a new meaning. Every day since we've been left struggling with how many sons, daughters, moms and dads could have been saved if they only had the right tools. Your pledges will not only take the hassle out of getting out on the water, you will be directly funding the tooling needed to fast track Kymera into the hands of search and rescue teams around the world.
So how will funding Kymera help?
Typical water rescue equipment consists of a $20,000 personal watercraft or a $3500 paddle board. The paddle board is easily accessible, but it's slow and requires a huge amount of the rescue swimmers energy. The ski is fast but at 1000lbs+ in most cases, critical minutes are lost getting it into the water. Kymera is the best of both worlds since it is easily carried to the water without the need of a launch ramp. Kymera allows rescue swimmers to reach victims fast and allows them to be ready to act. It also became obvious that the remote control feature developed in early 2005 for testing would be a great addition. This will give rescuers the option to deliver flotation and deploy ropes to struggling swimmers without having to enter the water. The optional, detachable, fold out rescue sled will allow rescue swimmers to quickly recover victims, saving critical minutes. With your support and a successfully funded project, we will be able to supply affordable rescue models as soon as our rewards have been fulfilled.
We have been fortunate enough to get real insight from expert Search and Rescue Teams. Discovery Channel was there to help us spread the word!
It is not often in life we are presented with the opportunity to help save others, much less have fun in the process. However, this is exactly Kymera's KickStarter goal. By supporting our project you will not only support an eco friendly watercraft as a safer alternative to existing technology. You will also be providing the means of delivering an affordable tool to those tasked with responding in the most desperate moments of need.
- With your pledges we will first finalize the hull design and work with our manufacture to perfect our polyurethane hull Rotomolding tooling (as used in white water kayaks). This will greatly improve durability and reduce part cost. We expect this process to be the most lengthy. It will take approximately 6 weeks until the first part is produced and will be capable of 100 hulls per week going forward.
- The second major investment will be our custom built electric drive system injection molding tooling. Currently, the upfront investment has been prohibitive however, with your support we will reach our goal. This will reduce the weight and unit cost simultaneously. We have been told to expect a 4~6 week lead time given the complex tooling requiring multiple "sliders". However, once produced, this tooling will allow for 100's of units per week.
- Increasing our order quantities will help reduce cost and allow us to negotiate specific component improvements. Specifically, increased water-cooling and higher grade materials. Batteries being a major portion of the unit cost will also benefit greatly from larger orders. Battery lead times have been very short, but require hands on assembly and enclosure. We will be stockpiling and prepping many of the "off the shelf" components while we are awaiting the arrival of our custom components.
- To keep our initial tooling costs at a minimum and reduce lead times, we will be taking advantage of the latest in desktop printing when possible. Although relatively a "slow" process, the low cost will allow us to run multiple units around the clock and allow changes / improvements on the fly.
- Other smaller drive train (Drive shaft, coupler, throttle etc) components will be CNC'd by a local partner shop who has quick turn arounds that we have worked with for years. We are proud to support our local community and having a personal relationship with a strategic partner is always a huge asset.
Show your support! Let everyone know you helped start a revolution and are doing your part to save lives with our sincere thanks for your contribution!
With a product as cool as Kymera, you have to have cool swag to go with it! Strapped for cash? No worries, tell a friend, post on Facebook, or just shout Kymera from the rooftops and we'll send you a decal just for helping spread the word! Every dollar counts and will go straight to the tooling needed to get Kymera into full production!
Kymera Key Floaty
Kymera Rescue Team
Your on the Team! With a pledge of $50 or more, you will not only receive the Kymera Rescue Tee, you will also be listed as an honorary member of the Kymera Rescue Team. Your name will appear alongside the names of those from around the world who have been saved with your support! All Rescue Team members will also be given first priority on the public release boards!
The Kymera System
Picture a crowded beach with masses of people gathered at the waters edge. The stifling heat of summer beats down as you make you're way to the water, Kymera in hand, Heads turn, captivated by the lone rider and this strange new board. Curiosity quickly turns to shock, as the impossibly small craft comes to life and you jet off into the distance. Its truly an amazing experience that we can't wait to share with everyone!
- 48lbs (Aprox) Only 29lbs~ with battery removed!
- 76"x 24"x 9" Overall size
- Super Durable Roto-Molded Hull (As used in White Water Kayaks)
- Note* The Polyurethane Hull Will Not Be Painted, But Will Have Graphics
- Available In High Visibility "Rescue Orange" (See Stretch Goals Below)
- Swappable 1000wh Lithium Polymer Battery Pack Included (300 ~400 cycles average with proper charging)
- 2,000w Peak 1,000w RMS Brushless Motor (For Nearly Zero Maintenance and silent operation)
- Tunable Performance W/ Data Logging allow for upgrades up to 6KW!
- 1 hour Average Run Time (Top speed and range will vary with rider weight but we expect 10mph ~15mph TS and 5 ~ 6 Mile Range per charge)
- Suggested 220lbs ~ 6' 2" Max rider for standard length board.
- Simple Trigger Throttle Control and Intuitive Lean Steering
The Eco Package
You will receive everything listed in the standard package above as well as our revolutionary roof rack charging system!
- (3) 100 watt Semi Flexible Solar Panels provide 300 watts of total power
- Dimensions 72" x 48" x 6" ~ 50lbs Overall weight ~ Simple mounting
- Package will also include a second 1000wh Lipo Battery Pack
- The rack can also easily be setup on the shore for convenient charging
- Standard Pack can be fully charged in 3.5 hours in full sun
- 12~18vdc 300 watt output can charge all your other devices as well!
The Full Carbon System
Batman may not ride a jet board, but if he did it would be the Full Carbon Kymera! Carbon fiber not only cuts the weight, but it looks incredible! You'll get 2 sets of swappable upgraded LifePo4 batteries. Also, your board will be tuned to drain them as fast as you like with over 6KW of raw power!
- 40lbs (Aprox) Only 21lbs~ with battery removed!
- 76"x 24"x 9" Overall size
- Super Strong Harness Satin Carbon Fiber Monocoque Hull
- Swappable 1000wh Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Pack Included W/ Full BMS (2000 ~ 3000 cycles average with proper charging)
- Tunable Performance W/ Data Logging allow for up to 6KW!
- Top Speed and range will vary with rider weight and settings but we expect 15mph ~22mph TS and 5 ~ 6 Mile Range per charge)
- Suggested 220lbs ~ 6' 2" Max rider for standard length board
- Simple Trigger Throttle Control and Intuitive Lean Steering
The Elite Full Blown Kustoms System
The Elite Full Blow Kustoms edition will include the Full Carbon Kymera Package wrapped up in a one of a kind Air Brushed Master Piece in the theme of your choice by the WORLD FAMOUS, MR. ED HUBBS! The hand laid Harness Satin Carbon Fiber hull will be carefully constructed by the inventor PERSONALLY. You will also receive a personal unveiling and demo training session (Lake Berryessa, CA) with the Inventor and (2) VIP invitations to our launch party where you will be recognized as an elite Kymera Rescue Team member. There you will be able to hang out with our team in the world famous Napa valley and we will set you up at the beautiful Meritage Resort. Each of the boards will be personally signed by the Artist and Inventor as a personal thank you for your contribution. (US Shipping Included) (Travel not included)
It goes without saying that safety is a MUST when operating your board. Life jackets MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES while riding. The vest not only serves as a comfy chest pad but can save your life! Kymera is a very capable craft but it should only be operated under conditions suitable for swimming and should always be operated "near shore" away from boat traffic and swimmers. Before operation you should check all local regulations and follow all harbors and navigation codes. Kymera should never be operated by young riders without proper supervision.
Only in the last few years has the technology come along to make Kymera Possible.
- Kymera utilizes the latest in super efficient brushless motor technology. Capable of over 6Kw of total power, your board will continue to gain performance as new batteries become available. Not only does a brushless power plant produce huge power and torque, but the simple design makes it nearly zero maintenance. For marine use, a full fresh water hose down and occasional bearing lubrication are all that is required.
- The one of a kind axial flow impeller drive system has been painstakingly tuned to perfectly match the power profile of the board. Built from the ground up, it provides punchy thrust without an exposed propeller while maintaining the utmost efficiency.
- The hull not only provides flotation and planing surface but, several other functions. The "hour glass" shape makes it easy to carry under your arm, cutting the bulk right where you need it. Just as "parabolic" skis have revolutionized downhill skiing, Kymera's new hull greatly improves handling without need of any mechanical steering.
- RIde quality is also key, and once again the revolutionary hull design comes into play. In your car, the ride is controlled by regulating the displacement of fluid in the shocks. Kymera accomplishes this same effect with progressive wave displacement. By displacing water outward in a controlled fashion and reducing the surface area in key locations it stretches each wave out over a longer period of time and greatly smooths out the ride.
- Real control and flexibility over your power is also critical. Not only will you have programmable control over total available power (programmable curves, motor timing, etc), also real data logging! You will be able to plug in and download your exact telemetry from your on-board controller. A few of the logging options include voltage, current draw, temperature, and RPM.
- As with all electric vehicles it is all about the battery. We have elected to get you started with our custom built 1000wh Lithium Polymer pack. With its small size, light weight, and monstrous current capacity it is a solid performer. The board controller will monitor your pack eliminating the need for a full (expensive) battery management system. We will provide an internal cell monitor to allow you to keep a close eye on cell balance since a full balanced charging system will maximize your battery life (300~400 cycles average). The packs can be charged onboard and can be easily swapped to extend run-time. We hope to offer the non proprietary waterproof battery case in the future to allow you to construct your own custom packs with chemistry of your choice.
It's GO TIME!
They say if you build a better mouse trap the world will beat a path to your door. Time to find out if Kymera has what it takes to capture the hearts and minds of people and forever change the way we spend time on the water.
Spread the word! If Kymera wins so will YOU! Should we exceed our goal, we want to make sure to thank our supporters however possible! We put together a few extra incentives as an added bonus to our supporters!
- $500,000 or more, We will Offer (3) additional color options for all standard Kymera packages. In addition to the standard Orange, we will add Red, Blue, and Green!
- $750,000 or more, we will add a dry storage compartment to your board with enough room for your wallet, keys phone and maybe even a Sham-wow!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Over the last 10 years of work, challenges have been many, funds limited, and people who fully understood the vision few. Today Kymera has taken on a life of its own! With the support of our new KickStarter friends, a talented crew and resources at the ready, the road ahead seems simple in comparison.
There will always be challenges in scaling up production of a new product. It is important however, to consider that even though Kymera is a relatively large reward item, we will be producing far fewer of them to hit the Kickstarter goal (roughly 80 to reach full funding). Compared to projects requiring hundreds or thousands of units to be produced, we will be able to give more personal attention to fulfilling your individual reward.
Being electric, its completely sealed with no need for air intakes for an engine. Most of the board is make of plastic / composite, Stainless Steel, or hard anodized aluminium for the the very best in corrosion resistance. A good freshwater washdown after each use in the ocean is all that is typically needed. Kymera's simplicity is its greatest strength as it requires almost no maintenance.
Please just let us know if you have any other questions we will be happy to help!
Kymera is registered with the patent office as an S.P.F.D Or Self-propelled Personal Flotation Deceive and by all known official definitions Kymera is not a personal watercraft or vessel of any kind. Thats not to say there couldn't be an exception, we just don't know of any. Kymera would then fall in the same category as a "sea scooter" or diver propulsion vehicle, with the only exception of being buoyant. That said all regulations should always be followed where applicable and life vests should be worn at all times.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Golden Ticket Reward: Once we reach production we will take this show on the road! We will setup demo days across the country where you will be able to take to the waves and try Kymera for yourself! Every pledge of $1 or more will be included on our VIP backer list and given priority access. Demo days will be held in the 5 cities with the most Kymera backers. So tell your friends! (Dates TBD)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Not quite ready to make the big leap? Thats ok! Every dollar gets Kymera one step closer to production. You'll receive our sincere gratitude and your name proudly displayed on the Kymerabodyboard.com website "Supporters" page. We will also send you a die cut vinyl Kymera decal and a keychain rescue floaty!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
You'll receive a limited edition RED Kymera Tee with our sincere gratitude and your name proudly displayed on the Kymerabodyboard.com website "Supporters" page as well as a Kymera Body Board decal.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Lifetime membership to the Kymera Rescue Team with your name proudly listed on our website where we will track and display the names of people that have been saved by your contributions. All Rescue Team Members will receive First Priority Order Status on the first public release boards. You will also receive a KickStarter exclusive Kymera Rescue T shirt, die cut decal, and keychain rescue floaty to proudly display your now part of the team!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
Business Promotion Reward: Forget Sky Writing, How about Surf Writing! Kymera draws a crowd wherever we go, for a $250 pledge we will attach a flag with your advertisement or logo to the board and run Kymera for 45 minutes at a crowded beach in the Bay area this summer! We will also include your logo on our Kickstarter Backers Banner that we will proudly display at our information tent and send you a video of us promoting your business! (Aprox. 8.5 x 11" Display Area)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
15 backers Limited (10 left of 25)
Trend Setter: The full Kymera package including board, battery, and charger. You'll be first in line for main production delivery, and first on the beach having fun! You will also receive a KickStarter exclusive Kymera Rescue T shirt, Decal and Lifetime membership to the Kymera Rescue Team! (Shipping paid separately. USA ONLY)Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $2,750 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (198 left of 200)
World Leader: The full Kymera package including board, battery, and charger. You are ahead of our public sales for delivery! You will also receive a KickStarter exclusive Kymera Rescue T shirt, Decal and Lifetime membership to the Kymera Rescue Team! (International Only, Shipping paid separately)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,750 or moreYou selected
4 backers Limited (196 left of 200)
Trail Blazer: The full Kymera package including board, battery, and charger. You'll be second in line for main production delivery! You will also receive a KickStarter exclusive Kymera Rescue T shirt, Decal and Lifetime membership to the Kymera Rescue Team! (Shipping paid separately. USA ONLY)Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $3,500 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (47 left of 50)
Performance Pack: The full Kymera package including board, high speed 2 hour charger, and (2) Swappable 1000wh battery packs. You are ahead of our public sales for delivery! You will also receive a KickStarter exclusive Kymera Rescue T shirt, Decal and Lifetime membership to the Kymera Rescue Team! (Domestic or International Shipping paid separately.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,500 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (24 left of 25)
Eco Package: Who says going Green can't be fun! The Kymera Eco package will include the full package including board, (2) 1000wh battery packs, and wall charger. As the ultimate commitment to protecting our environment, you will also receive our patent pending Solar Roof Rack Charging system to keep you charged-up off the grid wherever you may roam. The rack will make transporting your board to the lake a breeze and can easily be removed and setup on the beach to make the most of the sun rays. In full sun, the rack will be able to deliver a full charge in 3.5 hours. With 300w (12v~18v) available power you can keep all your other gear powered up as well! You will also receive a KickStarter exclusive Kymera Rescue T shirt, Decal and Lifetime membership to the Kymera Rescue Team! (shipping not included)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $7,500 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (7 left of 10)
Full Carbon Package: Including limited edition and numbered board, (2) Upgraded 1000wh LiPo4 Battery packs (3,000+ charge cycles) , and High Speed 2 hour charger. This handmade carbon fiber hull is not only lighter and stronger but cool enough for the likes of Bruce Wayne! Your board will come pre-tuned with over 6,000 watts of available power! (Helmet not included, but recommended). You'll also be Invited to tour the shop, help test pilot the first units off the line and receive personal riding lessons from the Inventor. You'll also receive invitations for you and a guest to our launch party where we will recognize your contributions to making Kymera a reality. US Shipping Included (Travel not included)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
Elite Package: Full Blown Kustoms Edition Carbon Fiber Board. Your reward will be a one of a kind hand built work of art with the masterful airbrush work of non other than world famous Mr. Ed Hubbs in your choice of theme. Your limited edition and numbered board will include (2) Upgraded 1000wh LiPo4 Battery packs, and High Speed 2 hour charger. Your board will come pre-tuned with over 6,000 watts of available power! (Helmet not included, but recommended). You will also receive a personal Unveiling and Demo training session with the Inventor and VIP invitations to our launch party where you will be recognized as an elite Kymera Rescue Team member. (Travel not included) Each of the (10) Elite will be personally signed by the Artist and Inventor as a personal thank you for your contribution. (US Shipping and accommodations Included)Estimated delivery:
- (35 days)