An educational memorial book that will offer the tools to hone community-building, peace-making skills. Appropriate for all ages.
Dear Friends, I have figured out a way to downscale this project so that I can accomplish it without funding. This way, I can work toward raising money — once the digital book and website are active — for the families, first responders, and physical monument in Newtown. Thank you for your interest and support. Please do not contribute to this Kickstarter program, but do contact me through the Facebook link if you have suggestions. Thank you, Julie
2. The digital book and other Newtown Peace Park activities
3. The Advisory Board (to date)
4. The Pledge Categories
5. The Schedule
6. The budget
1. Prologue — Here is why I've chosen to donate the next year of my life to creating this project: I live in Newtown. I did not lose a child but no day has gone by without thinking of the families that did. The town is forever changed and is filled with grief but also with an intense determination to make a difference. Since there are many charities for the families and first responders. I have chosen to focus my energies on prevention through education: on doing what I can to help create a culture of kindness.
I have spent my life dedicated to education. As my friend jazz pianist Armen Donelian said, "The missing antidote urgently needed in our society that no one has been talking about is kindness education. Yours is the first public articulation of that need that I've seen."
2. The Digital Book and its associated projects
• The Newtown Peace park book will be a free download from The Newtown Peace Park book's website and all backers will receive a copy. It will offer a rich selection of resources to parents and kids. They will take a virtual peace walk through Newtown. Each location — from the Sandy Hook Elementary School to Edmond Town Hall to Ram’s Pasture — will offer an inspirational quote followed by a key topic with recommended support resources.
• The design for the book will be mirrored on the Newtown Peace Park book's website. There will be a section that memorializes each of the victims of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary. There will also be links to key Newtown charities for the families, the first responders, and any physical monument the town votes to create.
• Learning points in the book and on the website will include topics like creating a culture of kindness, healing from tragedy, conflict resolution, communication skills, how to build community, anger management, mediation, paying it forward, and more.
3. Newtown Peace Park Advisory Board
The members of the board will each write something for the digital book that will be excerpted on the website:
Robert Zucker, author of “The Journey Through Grief and Loss: Helping Yourself and Your Child When Grief Is Shared” http://www.robertzucker.com/
Robert Fritz, author of "The Path of Least Resistance." http://www.robertfritz.com/
Douglas Noll, peacemaker and author of “Elusive Peace.” http://elusivepeace.com/about.html
Laurel Kaufer, mediator/peacemaker and co-founder, Prison of Hope, and Mississippi Mediation Project, www.prisonofpeace.org;
Si Lewen, internationally acclaimed artist featured in the film, “Ritchie Boys” and author of “The Parade.” http://www.silewen.com
Azim Khamisa, international speaker and award-winning author, “Azim's Bardo: From Murder to Forgiveness” leads educational programs against youth violence. http://www.azimkhamisa.com/
4. Pledge Categories
While I wish I could create a physical Peace Park, I will use pictures of the categories described in the pledge column to credit donor names at the end of the digital book and on the website donor page. All donors will receive a copy of the digital book as well.
5. The Schedule
Newtown Peace Park will be completed in time for the one year memorial. The book will complement several other projects running parallel to this Kickstarter campaign: "Newtown Peace Park Anthem" for string orchestra (to be published by Kendor music) that schools can perform for the one-year anniversary, and the Newtown Peace Park book's website where visitors can light 26 luminaries for the victims by visiting 26 virtual locations in Newtown on a peace walk.
"There is no foot so tiny that it can't leave an imprint on this world."
6. The Budget:
Kickstarter takes a 5% administrative fee and Amazon takes a 3% processing fee for handling the donations. Your donations will cover digital programming costs, art, author honorariums, marketing, graphic design, and distribution set-up. I will donate my time and only cover administrative costs as they arise. If there is any money leftover, I will use it to either produce a fundraising concert in Newtown or contribute it to whatever physical monument Newtown chooses to create. I will discuss these options with the town.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
I plan to approach Newtown's religious and spiritual leaders for suggestions during the development of the book and, through them, tenderly and respectfully approach the families of the children and adults killed on 12/14/12. I want to make sure that everyone has an opportunity to weigh in on the content of the book. I anticipate that it will take time to coordinate this aspect of the book's development. I will also be soliciting artwork and photographs from locals and beyond to integrate into the aesthetics of the design.
Douglas Noll, author and international peacemaker, has just endorsed Newtown Peace Park and will contribute ideas to its development. http://elusivepeace.com/about.html
Robert Zucker, author of “THE JOURNEY THROUGH GRIEF AND LOSS: Helping Yourself and Your Child When Grief Is Shared” has just joined my board of consultants for Newtown Peace Park, a project of the heart. http://www.robertzucker.com/
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Plant a Flower: Your name will appear (if you so desire) in the Peace Park flower garden. You will have the personal satisfaction of co-creating an educational gift for future generations while honoring the memory of Newtown's fallen angels.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Paint a Rock: Your name will appear (if you so desire) on a stone wall in the Peace Park. You will have the personal satisfaction of co-creating an educational gift for future generations while honoring the memory of Newtown's fallen angels.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
Plant a Tree: Your name will appear (if you so desire) on a virtual Peace Park tree. You will have the personal satisfaction of co-creating an educational gift for future generations while honoring the memory of Newtown's fallen angels.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
Build a Carousel for the Fallen: Your name will appear (if you so desire) on a virtual Peace Park horse in a carousel. You will have the personal satisfaction of co-creating an educational gift for future generations while honoring the memory of Newtown's fallen angels.Estimated delivery:
- (37 days)