From the Pacific to mountains, from forests to canyons & desert, the Northwest is so diverse there's always something new to discover.
A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step.
A foodie find.
A new musical favorite.
A hidden-gem travel destination.
The Pacific Northwest is rich with discovery opportunities and our magazine will guide locals and visitors alike to the very best of it all.
Those of us lucky enough to call the Pacific Northwest home know the thrill of rounding a bend on a mountain pass to discover a breathtaking view of the Cascades. Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Vancouver, B.C. are among the most beautiful and culturally rich cities in the world. From the ocean, to the mountains, to the forests, canyons and desert, our region is so expansive and diverse there is always something new to discover.
Miles Magazine will take you there.
Inspiring Travelers Near & Far with Meaningful Experiences
Our magazine focuses on travelers who are willing to be exposed to learning and becoming immersed in the culture of a new place. Miles Magazine is also of interest to locals looking to break out of their stale routines and discover or learn something new in the place they live.
We focus on destinations with premiere events. Events that are deeply rooted within communities, have passionate followings and attract a significant number of visitors from afar. Each issue is focused around a feature city and an event with a large built-in audience as well as additional nearby destinations.
The First Mile: Olympic Trials
Our first issue, out on newsstands and the iPad in June, features Eugene, Oregon and the U.S. Track & Field Olympic Trials at historic Hayward Field.
TRACKTOWN, USA — Meet the Olympic hopefuls. Discover the magic of Hayward Field and learn how Eugene became track & field's mecca.
EUGENE HOTSPOTS — Guides to prominent Eugene neighborhoods, showcasing excellent dining, entertainment and lodging.
HIT THE ROAD — Escape the hustle of the Track Trials to discover the nearby mountains, beaches, wineries, big city and more.
Why Kickstart Miles?
The Kickstarter campaign will cover our production costs associated with the Olympic Trials issue. The bulk of which includes our printing and distribution costs.
Miles is put together by a team of veteran writers, photographers and designers who are passionate about the region they call home.
After a brief flirtation with a business partner for Miles, we’re just not in a position to take on a financier without giving up too much of our creative control. We feel we need that control in order to be different. The magazine industry is struggling. We can’t afford to do the same cookie-cutter approach that others are doing. We need to take risks.
So, we’re looking to you, our supporters, to help us with this Kickstarter campaign.
We're really excited about the gifts we're able to offer as a thank you for your support.
Savage Expedition Gear
Savage Expedition Gear is a supplier of preparedness. They want you to be ready, both with the know-how and the gear, to help yourself or others live through disasters.
At the $35 level you can choose between:
- Key Grenade Paracord Key Chain — Not only does it carry the most paracord in such a small space and have a built in fire starter stick, but it looks like a little grenade! How great is that? You can even carry your keys by the Key Grenade handle, or attach a carabiner there! Every Savage Expedition Gear Key Grenade is equipped with 7-8 feet of 7 strand 550 test US made paracord (survival cord) that can be used in a multitude of survival or emergency situations.
- Key Line Paracord Key Chain — An attractive way to make your keys way more hardcore. Not only does this product look great, but it can get you out of a bind! Every Savage Expedition Gear Key Line is equipped with 5 feet of 7 strand 550 test US made paracord (survival cord) that can be used in a multitude of survival or emergency situations. If you select a single color, your product will be one single strand. If you choose 2 colors, it will have 2 shorter strands.
- S.L.A.B. Wrist-Belt — The (Snare it, Light it, and Bind it) S.L.A.B. Wrist-Belt by Savage Expedition Gear is a wrist worn belt (bracelet just isn‘t a tough enough word for this product) that is a miniature version of the S.L.A.B. belt. The S.L.A.B. Wrist-Belt is hand woven and wrapped right in the Pacific Northwest, and offers a outdoorsy look that says, "I have tons of other survival gear just out of sight, just throw something crazy my way and watch what I do." Snare it, with 2 feet of animal snare wire integrated in the band. Light it, with a ¾ inch flint fire starter stick. And Bind it with 10 feet of super strong paracord!
At the $100 level you can choose between:
- S.L.A.B. Belt — The (Snare it, Light it, and Bind it) S.L.A.B. Belt by Savage Expedition Gear is a revolutionary product that takes survival gear to the next level. The belt and the buckle are both hand woven and wrapped right in the Pacific Northwest, and offer a stylish fresh look as well as more functionality than any other belt on the market. Snare it, with 20 feet of animal snare wire in the buckle. Light it, with a 2 inch flint fire starter stick. And Bind it with 60 to 75 feet of super strong paracord!
- Savage Suave Belt — The Savage Suave Belt by Savage Expedition Gear is spittin image of the S.L.A.B. Belt without the totally intense outdoors look of the snare wire and fire starter buckle. The belt is hand woven, not braided, to make a super strong, great looking, and functional belt. You have your choice of either a double dee-ring style buckle, or a solid chrome metal style buckle. Make your choice, you won’t regret it! Every belt is equipped with 60-75 feet (depending on belt size) of 7 strand 550 test US made paracord (survival cord) that can be used in a multitude of survival or emergency situations. From shelter ties, bear bags, and fishing line, to truck tie-downs, emergency dog leashes, and rescue lines, this amount of paracord is almost necessary to have on your body at all times. Even more importantly, approximately 30 feet of the paracord is accessible as lightning fast deploy; information on how to use this feature included with the S.L.A.B. Belt.
At the $150 level you get:
- S.L.A.B. Combo Pack which includes the S.L.A.B. Belt and S.L.A.B. Wrist-Belt.
Celadon Road is dedicated to promoting greener, healthier and more socially
responsible living by offering their customers the highest quality natural, eco-friendly products for their everyday needs. Celadon Road inspires individuals to discover and explore their shade of green and to purchase with a purpose. They strongly believe if we all make small changes toward a greener lifestyle, collectively we can have a profound impact on our world.
At the $50 level you get:
- Leaf Imprint Journal — Looking for inspiration? These journals with a whimsical design will allow your thoughts to pour onto the page. Whether it be a future best-seller or simply your everyday to-do list, they are perfect for on-the-go. The entire journal is handmade by Indian artisans and in their culture, it is a gift that is passed down from generation to generation. Make this fair-trade gift a part of yours!
Luxury Mountain Getaway:
At the $2,500 level — Information and current availability: http://www.vacasarentals.com/unit.php?UnitID=11
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Get the very first issue of Miles Magazine delivered to your mailbox.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
Get the entire first year (four issues) of Miles Magazine delivered to your mailbox and/or digitally to your iPad.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $35 or moreYou selected
Get one-year (four issues) of Miles Magazine delivered to your mailbox and/or digitally to your iPad AND either the Key Grenade Paracord Key Chain or Key Line Paracord Key Chain from Savage Expedition Gear.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Get one-year (four issues) of Miles Magazine delivered to your mailbox and/or digitally to your iPad AND the Leaf Imprint Journal from Celadon Road.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
Get one-year (four issues) of Miles Magazine delivered to your mailbox and/or digitally to your iPad AND the S.L.A.B. Wrist-Belt from Savage Expedition Gear.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
Get two years (8-10 issues) of Miles Magazine delivered to your mailbox and/or digitally to your iPad AND either the S.L.A.B. Belt or Savage Suave Belt from Savage Expedition Gear.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
Get two years (8-10 issues) of Miles Magazine delivered to your mailbox and/or digitally to your iPad AND the S.L.A.B. Combo Pack which includes the S.L.A.B. Belt and S.L.A.B. Wrist-Belt from Savage Expedition Gear.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
Become a FOUNDING PARTNER of Miles Magazine. You will be acknowledged by name in our debut issue as well as on our website where it will live forever. As a Founding Partner you will receive a LIFETIME subscription to Miles Magazine AND your choice of one gift from any of the above levels of support.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (6 left of 6)
In addition to all the benefits of being a FOUNDING PARTNER with a LIFETIME subscription, we will give you a pair of single-day passes to the 2012 U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials in Eugene, Oregon. (Travel & lodging not included).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
You clearly love to support a great cause. As such, we'd like to make your contribution go even farther. We will give the non-profit of your choice a full page ad in an issue of Miles Magazine. We'll even design the ad if needed! You and the non-profit will be included as FOUNDING PARTNERS as well as receive a LIFETIME subscription.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (2 left of 2)
In addition to all the benefits of being a FOUNDING PARTNER with a LIFETIME subscription, you'll be able to spend a week at a six-bedroom cabin (sleeps 14) on Mt. Hood. The home is located on the 5th tee of the Foxglove golf course at Resort at the Mountain in Welches, Oregon. For the skier, you're just 12-miles from Government Camp and a 30-minute drive from Timberline Lodge & Ski area and Mt. Hood Meadows. In the Summer you are surrounded by the Mt. Hood National Forest's many hiking and biking trails, lakes, rivers and streams. You'll have access to the resort swimming pool and hot tub. (You choose the week based on availability at the time of booking).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (12 left of 12)
In addition to all the benefits of being a FOUNDING PARTNER with a LIFETIME subscription, your company or non-profit of choice will get a Full Page ad in two issues of Miles Magazine as well as be the EXCLUSIVE advertiser of our email newsletter for a full month.Estimated delivery:
- (26 days)