June 2013 Update + Download Instructions
Hey all! Just wanted to provide you with a quick update regarding recent news and progress. Most of our updates have skewed heavily on the design and theory side, so this time we'll be delving into the more artistic ends of the project.
Early next week I'll also be posting our massive outline for the general design principles behind every AI subsystem. I was originally planning on including that with this post, but the length was starting to get a little crazy so I decided to hold off and split things up.
Where, When and How to Download the Game
We recently finished the migration of At the Gates over to Humble's system. The biggest perk of this is the ability to easily manage builds, but it also means we're now able to start officially accepting pre-orders, so go tell all your friends!
Everyone should now be able to access their download page for AtG by going to Humble's key resender and entering the email address associated with your Kickstarter (or PayPal) account. This page is where new versions of the game will be posted, so it's definitely an address you'll want to bookmark.
The plan is to start alpha testing in a couple months, and to officially release the game during the third quarter of 2014 (July/August/September). Of course, our #1 priority is making the best game possible, so there's always a chance we need to push that back. If we do move dates around I'll make sure you know as soon as I do.
The team has started on the rough animation work for the units. These will eventually be painted over, but I figured you guys would enjoy a little sneak peak.
The schedule and budget call for around 180 unique unit animations which run the gamut from running to fighting to dying. We're starting with the run cycles.
We've had an audio intern on board the past couple months and he's been helping produce some great sound effects.
One of the ways we're using sound is instilling even more life to the changing of the seasons. I've uploaded the ambiance tracks for spring and autumn, so give 'em a listen. You might need to turn down your volume to get a proper feel, as these pieces will only be just loud enough to help create a mood.
We're doing concept sketches for all of the leaders before any more full paintings are finished, just to make sure every character is sufficiently unique from one another. We have about half of the concepts done, and I've included a couple here.
Is anyone able to identify either of these fascinating gentlemen?
On the programming front, we've now hooked the Steam overlay into At the Gates. This is completely optional and won't be required to play the early builds nor the final release, but I know many PC gamers prefer having everything in one place.
When the time comes, the option to claim a Steam key will appear on your Humble account page. I'm expecting this to be available right when alpha testing begins, but I can't make any guarantees just yet.
Alright, that's it for today - look forward to some AI fun next week!
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
● Our sincere appreciation for your support, along with a digital hug... act now, while supplies last!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
● An exclusive “Sponsor” badge to be displayed next to your name on our official forums showing off your generous support of ‘At the Gates’, upon request.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
● A digital copy of 'At the Gates', five dollars off the planned release price. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $30 or moreYou selected
● A digital version of our 100+ page manual/strategy guide, including designer notes (to go with your digital copy of 'At the Gates'. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
● An invitation to the 'At the Gates' private BETA testing group. Starting January of 2014 (approximately), you will receive beta builds of the game through the Internet and be granted access into our private testing forum. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $80 or moreYou selected
● An invitation to the 'At the Gates' private ALPHA testing group. Starting July of 2013 (approximately), you will receive alpha builds of the game through the Internet and be granted access into our private testing forum. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $125 or moreYou selected
● Full access to the 'At the Gates' design documents in Google Drive. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
19 backers Limited (131 left of 150)
● A autographed boxed copy of 'At the Gates' ONLY available by contributing to our Kickstarter campaign. Also contains a 100+ page manual/strategy guide with designer notes. *See “Reward Tier Details” below. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
● Name one mountain range AND river AND lake which will be added to the ‘At the Gates’ random map generator. *See "Reward Tier Details" below. ● Your name or online handle will be added to the special thanks section of the credits, upon request. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
● Name a CITY belonging to one of the barbarian factions, which will be added to the 'At the Gates' name generator. *See “Reward Tier Details” below. ● An invitation to an exclusive Skype chat Q&A session with the development team. One session is scheduled for a weekend in April 2013 and a second for a weekend in May 2013. Should you be unable to attend either you'll instead have the opportunity ask questions via email. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $750 or moreYou selected
● An invitation to the 'At the Gates' release party and the opportunity to hang out with the development team. All travel arrangements are the responsibility of the backer. ● Name one SEA, which will be added to the random map generator. *See "Reward Tier Details" below. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
● The development team will write a 1000+ word article on a game design topic of your choice, to be posted on on the official 'At the Gates' website and Jon Shafer’s design blog. Your name will be credited as the inspiration for the article, upon request. ● Name one CONTINENT, which will be added to the map generator. *See “Reward Tier Details” below. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (4 left of 4)
● Design the visual look, gameplay traits, etc. for one of 'At the Gates' barbarian factions and its leader. *See “Reward Tier Details” below. ● All of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)