B-Squares Getting Started Guide
Hello Backers and B-Squares Developers!
By now many of you have already received your B-Squares orders. If you haven't, don't worry, it's on it's way! All of the packages have been shipped but it may take more time to get to some destinations. Below are a few comments/suggestions/explanations that will help you get the most out of your B-Squares units.
Shipment Notifications: If you you're a backer of the B-Squares Kickstarter project and you have yet to receive a shipment notification please check your SPAM filters! There's already been a few cases where these notifications have gotten trapped in a SPAM filter or sent to the e-mail trash.
B-Square Information Sheets: We've received reports of a few instances where the information sheets included with each individual B-Square module have been mixed up or misprinted. For everyone's reference, here is a digital version of the information included in all of the information sheet inserts.
Getting Started with each of the Squares:
- Before use, please remove the plastic protective wrapping on each of the AAA batteries included with the Battery-Square.
- As with most electronic devices, the batteries included with the Battery-Square are not shipped fully charged. For best performance we recommend that you fully charge the batteries before use. For fast charging, you can use a standard NiMH battery charger to charge the AAA batteries separately and then reinstall into the Battery-Square.
- The Battery-Square has an On/Off switch on the side. We recommend that when the Battery-Square is not in use that you turn it off to prevent the Square from discharging the batteries.
- When installing the three (3) AAA batteries into the Battery-Square, pay close attention to the polarity indicated on the PCB board by the "+" and "-" symbols.
- In one orientation the LED-Square will be activated with White LEDS. With a 90 degree rotation the LED-Square will be activated with the Red-Blue-Green (RGB) LEDs.
- To adjust the overall color of the RGB LEDs, remove the Top Cover as instructed below and adjust the three (3) potentiometers, labeled "Red", "Blue", "Green" to get the desired color.
- The Software necessary to program the Arduino-Square can be found here.
- Visit the Arduino website for easy tutorials on how to get started with the Arduino.
- You will also need a serial-to-USB connector to connect the Arduino-Square to a PC.
- Remove the protective plastic cover on top of the solar panel.
- The set of "stickers" that come with the Solar-Square are the micro-Suction material. One side is adhesive and the other is the micro-suction material. Stick the adhesive side to the frame of the Square and remove the plastic cover from the micro-suction side.
- For best performance use the Solar-Square outside in direct sunlight, or attached to a window with the included Micro-Suction material.
- Please refer to Update#15 for special notes on the Dock-Square.
Troubleshooting and for the curious, "Open up that Square!"
We've tried to make the B-Squares system as "open" as possible. This includes designing the plastic frame so that it's easy for a user to (if he/she so needs to) open the square with no, or a minimal number of, tools. Before we get into how this is done, let's take a lay of the land. In general, all of the B-Squares share five (5) common parts:
- Plastic Frames.
- Top/Bottom Covers.
- Side Inserts.
- Magnetic Corner Contacts.
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
The Magnetic Corner Contacts are connected to the PCB by 4 small screws. These are the only screws in the system. The PCB and Side inserts are sandwiched between the two halves of the Plastic Frames. What keeps everything assembled together are the eight (8) internal clips, 2 at each corner of the Plastic Frames. Likewise, the Top/Bottom Covers snap into the Plastic Frames by eight (8) clips on the underside of the Covers.
Removing the Top/Bottom Covers: At the corner where the B-Squares Logo is located on the Top/Bottom Cover there is a small slot. To separate the Top/Bottom Cover from the Plastic Frame use your fingernail or the tip of a flat screwdriver to insert into this slot forcing the Top/Bottom Cover up and away from the frame. Only a small amount of force should be required.
Disassembly of the Frame: This should NOT be necessary, but if you're the curious type, you're more than welcome to do so! As described above, the frames are held together by eight (8) internal plastic clips, two (2) at each corner. To separate the two Frame halves, use your hands or a small flat tip screwdriver at each of the corners to disengage the clips by separating the Plastic frame up and away from the Magnetic Corner Contacts. NOTE: The magnets can also be removed from the Magnetic Corner Contacts, so be careful that they don't fall out when opening the frame If they do, it just means that they will have to be reinserted into the Magnetic Corner Contacts with the correct polarity facing outwards.
seconds to go
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
SOLAR SUPPORTER. This is a pre-order of the Solar-Square with microsuction material surface. (Add an additional $5 to your pledge for shipping)
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
B-GINNER'S KIT. This is a pre-order of a B-Squares B-ginner's kit containing 3 Squares: (1) Solar-Square, (1) Battery-Square, and (1) LED-Square. (Add $25 to add an iPhone-Square to this pledge). Price includes international shipping.
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
DEVELOPER'S KIT. This is a pre-order of B-Squares Developer's kit containing 5 Squares: (1) Solar-Square, (1) Battery-Square, (1) LED-Square, (1) Arduino-Square. (including 3.3V Arduino Pro) and (1) Proto-Square. (Add $25 to add an iPhone-Square to this pledge). Price includes international shipping.
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
SUPER RECIPE SET. This is a pre-order of the B-Squares Recipes Kit, allowing small groups and individuals to build any of the recipes shown in the video and much more. The kit contains a total of 15 Squares: (5) Solar-Squares, (2) Battery-Square, (2) LED-Square, (2) Arduino-Squares (including 3.3V Arduino Pro), and (4) Proto-Squares. (Add $25 to add an iPhone-Square to this pledge). Price includes international shipping.
- (35 days)