Grow a geodesic dome greenhouse in Detroit this September! Improve access to fresh food, explore sustainable practices, & inspire innovative thinking.
Thank You for shifting your gaze our way!
The proposed GreenDome is a low cost “greenhouse” dome with a 35′ footprint designed for year round off-grid growing. Striving for self-reliance, the dome will be heated with BTU’s from chickens, compost and low cost geothermal. Air circulation and filtration will be facilitated through wind collection. The domed and potentially “winged” roof will offer high volume rain catchment. We will also increase production by growing from and on the ceiling of the dome. It’s an exciting design and we hope it will be the first of many Detroit Domes to come.
Project History The Detroit GreenDome is a collaborative project between myself, my farming neighbor Travis Roberts and some of our friends and family. Phase One of the Greendome is actually the continuation of a kickstarter project launched by the serial/collaborative funding event, Soup at Spaulding. On August 19th, Travis and I presented the GreenDome concept at this local micro-funding "challenge." We quickly found ourselves with a successfully funded kickstarter project that put us one third of the way towards our Phase One funding goal of $1000. Through Soup at Spaulding we successfully raised $362 for the Greendome and $362 for the rehab of Spaulding Court! Thanks to all of our backers!
Current Status of Phase One To successfully get the Greendome off "paper," onto the lot next door AND Travis' farm ready for expansion we've launched this solo project with a goal of $638! We encourage you to back and share this project with your friends, family and community. With fall and harvest season upon us we're looking to have the frame of the dome fabricated by September 22nd and grounded at its winter home by October 1st. Successful funding of the Greendome will see a new dome in Detroit on September 23rd!
Phase One Milestones
- "Lease" the adjacent lot from the City of Detroit through their Adopt-A-Lot program. Completed! August 31st
- Secure tools/space required for fabrication. Due: Sept 15th
- Fabrication of struts. Due: Sept 22nd
- Dome Team Test Build. Sept 23rd
- Farm Team - Prepare Travis' current farm for expansion and clear/prep the adjacent lot. Due: October 1st
- To raise awareness, inspire & inform we are seeking invitations from communities and events throughout the city to build and share the GreenDome frame prior to "grounding" the dome on October 1st.
Mission The Detroit GreenDome will increase year round access to fresh food, provide the opportunity to experiment with sustainable tools and techniques, and inspire "off the map" thinking and innovation in our neighborhood/world.
Focus on Food First! Though the GreenDome is what makes this project notable and exciting, the main focus is to assist Travis to increase quality and production and to extend his growing season. This project wouldn't have manifest without Travis' asking us to work with him to achieve these goals. The Greendome is an artistic/creative expression that will always take backseat to the success of Travis work. The fabrication and construction of the dome will be "in service" to the growing of food, not the other way around. Many in our neighborhood don't have access to healthy food and thousands of households in Detroit don't have access to water! Raising awareness of these issues while striving to grow more food is the bottom line here.
Intentions and Goals So far we've received attention from around the US and for us that's confirmed the GreenDome's potential is great. Beyond the Food First goals above my personal intentions are to add to the discussion on sustainability and urban farming in Detroit and to explore my aesthetic hang-ups around Agrarianism and Futurism. Though there are many possibilities, specific goals and intentions include:
- Document all aspect of the project in Open Source fashion at http://detroitdomes.org for easy analysis and replication.
- Raise awareness of the need for "off the map" thinking and exploration in our neighborhood/world.
- Raise funds utilizing online technology to directly benefit our neighbor Travis who is without access to a computer and hence, to this opportunity.
- Mindfully and artistically encourage dialog between Futurism and Agrarianism and explore how both can inform the cultural shifts requisite for survival.
- Strive to remove corporate branding/stigma from design, technology and tools.
- Work to illuminate and banish hierarchical, dogmatic systems that have influenced the application and use of our tools and technologies.
- Openly document the navigation of an highly individualistic artistic expression, mindful community engagement and functionality.
Coming October 1st - The "Pimp Our Dome" Hackerspace Challenge We're inviting Hackerspaces around the world and universe to Pimp Our Dome with the most cutting edge, low cost appropriate technology off-grid solutions they can muster. We're looking inspire innovation in 3 categories: Rain Catchment, Low-Cost Geothermal, and Air Circulation & Filtration. Stay tuned for details! Phase Two is gonna to be fun!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $23 or moreYou selected
For a pledge of $23 or more we're pleased to offer a hand crafted Detroit Green Dome Orgonite Talisman. Made using cuttings and shreds from the fabrication of the dome frame, these energy filters will also serve as a physical manifestation of your support and connection to the Detroit GreenDome. These Talismans are influenced by the work of another "off the map" thinker, Dr. Wilhelm Reich. In the 1930's and 1940's, Reich was able to detect and measure the existence of etheric energy (life energy, chi, etc.), which he called orgone. He developed various technology to measure and utilize orgone energy. A recently developed technology, Orgonite, mixes catalyzed organic fiberglass resin with inorganic metal shavings in a small mold. Small quartz crystals are added to the mixture for their ability to efficiently collect, transmute and emit etheric energy. This resin/metal/crystal matrix functions as a self-driven, continuously-operating, highly efficient DOR→POR (negative to positive) energy transmutation factory. When an orgonite device is within range of a source of DOR/negative energy, it will efficiently and continuously transform it into POR/positive energy as it is being transmitted. Thanks to http://orgonite.info for details on Reich and Orgonite.
- (12 days)