The impossible – the earthbound defying gravity – becomes not only possible but effortless; the edge where aerial dance & circus meet.
“Cirque de Minuit” Aerial Dance Performance
Everyone wishes they could fly, but most of us fly only in our dreams. Cirque de Minuit brings the surreal world of dreams to life.
The wings of our dreams: Ceramicist Todd Redmond made this one-off wall sculpture just for Cirque de Minuit. You can help cover rehearsal pay for several dancers, AND own these breathtaking wings, if you will be our ONE AND ONLY $1,000 benefactor:
HERE'S OUR NEW DREAM: we set a modest goal for our first Kickstarter campaign, met it in the first 24 hours (hooray!), & now hope to follow in the footsteps of some previous dance projects & GET 350% FUNDED BY APRIL 14th! This will allow us to fully pay our dancers for rehearsal time; the first $1,500 supports Jesse Manno's original score. SO... PLEASE READ ON!
The cast thanks you for supporting our project:
The vision for Cirque de Minuit (The Midnite Circus) belongs to Nancy Smith, the award-winning Founder & Artistic Director of Frequent Flyers Productions, www.facebook.com/FrequentFlyersProductions, a non-profit now in its 24th year. It’s embodied by Frequent Flyers’ company of 9 extraordinary aerialist-dancers. The intention: a whimsical otherworldly reality, amplifying the sense that, before your eyes, what you know to be impossible – defying gravity while earthbound – suddenly becomes not only possible, but effortless. The show plays with the boundary between aerial dance (a fluid blending of ground-based movement with aerials) & circus (stilts, static trapeze, "wow" factor). The grace & skill of our dancers makes their acrobatic feats beautiful, thought-provoking, humorous & awe-inspiring - and the show is magical for all ages.
Here's the character Vespertine:
The goal of this Kickstarter campaign is to raise $1,500 to fund the original composition & performance of nationally-known musician Jesse Manno – music created just for Cirque de Minuit. Additionally, the money will help with rehearsal pay for the amazing show “characters” (the dancers). The magic of aerial dance is that it gives watchers not only the illusion of the dancers’ flight, but the feeling that any of us could float off the ground & into the air. Sustaining this sense of wonderment depends on strength & agility developed through many rigorous hours spent on specialized equipment.
Here are the characters Mechanical Doll and Her Mistress:
The participants: Nancy Smith, Artistic Director/Choreographer; Jesse Manno, composer/live performance; & dancer/collaborators: Catherine Bedell, Nathan Blackwell, Angela Delsanter, Danielle Hendricks, Deena Marcum, Valerie Morris, Ashley Smith, Tiffany Stone and Lynda White. There are also cameo appearances by Frequent Flyers’ Apprentice Company & Professional Training students, providing them with valuable public performance experience.
Here's the Contortionist:
Jesse Manno, composer, vocalist & multi-instrumentalist, is Music Director of the University of Colorado Dance Department. His work with numerous theatre & dance companies has been presented throughout the US, in Europe & in Asia. He has received grants from Meet the Composer Inc., PBS, & the National Endowment for the Arts, among many others. He performs frequently with the regional ensemble SHEREFE, & with the Kailin Yong Peace Project.
Here's a photo of Jesse:
The venue is Boulder’s Dairy Center for the Arts, a Boulder non-profit organization that has been showcasing visual & performing arts since 1987. Cirque de Minuit begins in the lobby, breaking down the visual & spatial barriers between the audience & the performers, & moves seamlessly into the performance space where the show is already underway. The show opens April 13, 2012, & runs April 14th, 15th, 20th, 21st & 22nd.
See how much we love our supporters:
For dancer bios please go to our web site: www.frequentflyers.org
Thank you for supporting Frequent Flyers Productions in our quest to make every show utterly unique!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $1,500 goal
seconds to go
Mar 15, 2012 - Apr 14, 2012 (30 days)
- First created · 0 backed
- Has not connected Facebook
Pledge $5 or more
• Thanks on our blog • A groovy Frequent Flyers Productions “Get Your Wings On” sticker (looks great on a laptop!)Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $10 or more
• The above thanks • A red wristband with Frequent Flyers on the front and “Get Your Wings On!” on the backEstimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $25 or more
• The above thanks • A pewter Swinging Lady charm – wear it, put it on your keychain or backpack, give it to your favorite swinging lady! • Local donors may SUBSTITUTE a free aerial fitness class, $16 valueEstimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $50 or more
• The above thanks • A CD of Jesse Manno’s original score OR a DVD of the performance • Local donors may SUBSTITUTE a free first-of-any-session class, OR one free ticket to a Friday night performance; either is a $25 valueEstimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $100 or more
• The above thanks • A CD OR DVD • A fabulous FFP t-shirt from Theater of the Vampires OR previous Aerial Dance Festival, our choice • Local donors may SUBSTITUTE 2 tickets to a Friday night performanceEstimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $200 or more
• The above thanks • Thanks in our playbill • CD AND DVD • 8x10 Cirque de Minuit frame-able photo by photographer Heather Gray, signed by the cast • Local donors may SUBSTITUTE 4 tickets to a Friday night performance (NOTE: we are not always able to seat groups together)Estimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $500 or more
0 backers Limited (4 of 4 left)
• All above thanks • A shout-out from the stage • CD AND DVD • Photo signed by the cast • A copy of the book Aerial Dance by Nancy Smith & Jayne Bernasconi, $40 value • Local donors may SUBSTITUTE 6 tickets OR a private low-flying trapeze lesson for two with Founder and Artistic Director Nancy Smith (NOTE: we are not always able to seat groups together)Estimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (1 of 1 left)
• All above thanks • CD AND DVD • Wall sculpture: a pair of custom Cirque de Minuit ceramic wings by Westminster, CO artist Todd Redmond, $200 value (view Todd's work at http://www.boulderpottersguild.com/todd.html) • Local donors may SUBSTITUTE 10 tickets OR 2 private low-flying trapeze lessons for two with Founder & Artistic Director Nancy Smith (NOTE: we are not always able to seat groups together)Estimated delivery: May 2012