Support the expansion of FABnyc's ArtUp program, which animates underutilized spaces in the LES through art and community partnerships.
ArtUp: Growing Public Art in the LES
Last year, your generous support helped us get the paint, supplies and expertise we needed to open the FAB Café & East Village Visitors Center as a community and creative hub.
This year, we ask for your help again, to meet growing demand for our ArtUp program, which animates underutilized spaces through public art and community partnerships. ArtUp transforms construction sites, scaffolding bridges and vacant spaces in the Lower East Side into street-side galleries.
FABnyc started ArtUp in 2008 in partnership with Joyce Manalo of ArtForward to transform the negative of local scaffolding into a positive, and has been rapidly growing the program to include multiple partners, including Keith Schweitzer of MaNY Project, and a variety of new sites.
HOW WE ARE GROWING
1. The number of artists we present is accelerating. Since 2008, FABnyc has produced 10 different public art exhibits on the scaffolding bridge at the 70 East 4th Street Cultural Center. In the past year alone, we have presented more than 13 different artists through ArtUp.
2. The kinds of exhibits and sites we program are expanding. Over the past year, ArtUp added 3 new sites, including the FAB Cafe and a significant rotating exhibit program in Artist Alley @ Extra Place. We have already been invited to program 3 additional sites in the neighborhood.
3. The ideas are spreading. This year, FABnyc co-led a project with No Longer Empty and Community Board 3 to create a series of storefront exhibitions, which we hope to repeat this Spring. FABnyc's Director Tamara Greenfield was invited to testify on "pop up galleries" at a recent City Council hearing.
WHY WE WANT TO KEEP GROWING
With real estate development on the rise, the Lower East Side is quickly changing. Places that matter are being lost or replaced. FABnyc and our partners are looking at ways to use transitional or new spaces for public art that continue to spark conversations about culture and community identity.
Your backing will fund the production of thought-provoking, well-executed, and highly visible exhibitions and programs.
WHAT YOUR SUPPORT IS GOING TOWARDS
Artist materials and artist fees; curation and management; print costs of signage, posters and postcards; community and press outreach, including video/print interviews, photography, social media, and promotion; installation costs; and opening reception and public programs.
HOW YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
1. Become a backer and get great rewards from artists Abe Lincoln Jr., Jon Burgerman, and Ellis Gallagher and photographers Mike Pearce and Udom Surangsophong from our inaugural Artist Alley @ Extra Place exhibit
2. Let's be friends, www.facebook.com/FABNYC, Twitter: @Fourthartsblock .
3. Tell your friends that we're friends.
4. Write about your friend's (*wink) project and post it online.
5. Hang out with us at the FAB Cafe and get a tour of ArtUp sites.
6. Take our friendship to the next level, talk to us about volunteering, partnerships and sponsorship
Note: Photograph courtesy of Mike Pearce and music by Madlib.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
All donors will be invited to backer party at Ellabess in January.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
Invitation to backer party at Ellabess PLUS stickers, temporary tattoo and chalking kit from Artist Alley artists Abe Lincoln Jr., Jon Burgerman, and Ellis Gallagher.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Your name in chalk at Artist Alley, stickers, temporary tattoo, chalking kit, and invitation to backer party at Ellabess.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
5 backers All gone!
Abe Lincoln Jr.'s 7" x 5" mixed media illustration in frame, stickers, temporary tattoo, chalking kit and invitation to backer party at Ellabess.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (18 left of 20)
Limited edition 16" x 20" print of 20 by photographer Mike Pearce, stickers, temporary tattoo, chalking kit, and invitation to backer party at Ellabess.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (3 left of 3)
Original artwork of equal value from Abe Lincoln Jr., Jon Burgerman, OR Ellis Gallagher (first come-first serve), and invitation for you and a guest to backer party at Ellabess.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (9 left of 10)
Limited edition 16" x 20" print of 10 by photographer Udom Surangsophon of an aerial view of Artist Alley, and 3 additional invitations to backer party at Ellabess.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $3,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)
Jon Burgerman will draw "you" into the mural in Artist Alley and 5 additional invitations to backer party at Ellabess.Estimated delivery:
- (27 days)