Art is made better on a full belly. Be an important part of the film-making process by pledging, and ensure that we're all well fed.
Be a part of movie-making history! Participate in the production of the short movie “Ellie's Head”. Your pledge will help make Ellie's world a frightening reality, and bring her entertaining story to life and to DVD.
“Ellie's Head” is a short horror film about an emotionally challenged elderly woman named Ellie, who exists in complete mental isolation. Her story begins when she finds a chest buried near the Chicago river. Ellie unlocks the box and makes a wonderful discovery: inside is a rotting human head. It's love at first sight. She takes her new-found friend, named Henry, home to live with her. Ellie isn't going to be lonely anymore; now she has someone to talk to, and apparently, someone who will talk back.
I wrote the first draft of “Ellie's Head” almost 2 years ago, and have been struggling to bring it to life for over a year. My idea was to make a short horror film that could be shown at The Music Box Massacre: a 24 hour horror movie marathon held once a year just before Halloween at the Music Box Theater here in Chicago, Illinois. I wrote this film specifically for this group of film-goers and horror-aficionados, but I believe that it will be original enough and endearing enough to submit to other festivals.
An image of Ellie first came to me one cold and rainy Chicago afternoon when I found a fleshy cow-skull sitting on top of a trash can. I recognized this as an important omen, so I grabbed the skull and dropped in into a plastic shopping bag. Later that night I found myself carrying a cow head while taking a short-cut through a deserted ally. The image of an old lady carrying a human head with her as she sifted through trash cans popped into my mind, and I knew I had to tell the story about this fragile woman old woman and her only friend. And I knew that i had to make this film as a submission to the "Massacre”.
It has taken me 2 years to get the project off of the ground almost entirely because of financial hardships. I have access to almost all of the equipment needed to make the film, but what I don't have is the money for all of the remaining expenses. It is impossible to make a film (even of this modest size) without the funds to feed the crew or for gas to drive them to set. I first discovered Kickstarter 2 months ago and now I finally have a chance to fund this movie.
This is a completely unpaid project, so the only incentive for people to work on this film is the food (the opportunity of being part of a fantastic project is another incentive), so the majority of the budget is allocated toward the catering for the cast and crew for 8 days of shooting. I have a great group of talented people who are all anxiously awaiting for the shooting to begin, and they are excited because they all believe in me, and they believe in the story and its title character. And all I owe these people is decent food. The rest of the money will go toward transportation costs, a small amount of equipment rentals, some remaining props, electricity, and the incentives and rewards that you will receive for your financial generosity.
The 8 days of shooting is set to begin on July 23rd for 4 days, with the following 4 days of shooting to resume on August 13th. Nearly all of the pre-production has been completed, with the exception of casting. The only other issue to be resolved in pre-production is deciding which camera to shoot on.
I have several different consumer grade cameras readily available to me to shoot with, but part of my wish-list, if we raise more funds beyond the original goal, is for the rental of a better camera. Some options I'm considering shooting on are the Cannon 5D, 7D, or even possibly the Panasonic AF100. The rental of any of these cameras will cost money, but will improve the visual quality of the completed film. Another item extra money will allow for is even more food to feed an even larger crew! Right now I have the food expenditure budgeted for the smallest crew possible, but I'd love to have a full crew on set, providing the best and most efficient production possible.
I'm glad that you spent the time to check out my project “Ellie's Head”, and I hope that you find it interesting and rewarding enough for your financial support. Remember: everything counts in large amounts. Thank you.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $2,478 goal
seconds to go
Jun 7, 2011 - Jul 4, 2011
Pledge $1 or more
1. Be Proud! Be Supportive! Make The World a Better Place! Any size pledge will reward you with a thank you in the Film's end credits. Your pledge will also allow you to feel better about yourself and the world, and all because of your generosity and support of independant filmmaking and the arts.
Pledge $10 or more
2. A Digital Postcard from the Production of the film and reward #1.
Pledge $25 or more
New: A basic copy of the completed short on DVD and a Thank you in the end credits.
Pledge $25 or more
3. A Specialized Invitation to the Midnight Premier of the finished short "Ellie's Head" at a local theatre, and rewards #1 and #2.
Pledge $25 or more
13 backers Limited (13 of 26 left)
For Chicago Locals only! A 22oz bottle of Ellie's Head Hoarder's Pale Ale: a special edition beer by Big Dicks Brewing Company brewed just for the film! And an invitation to the midnight premier and a thank you in the end credits.
Pledge $40 or more
4. A Premium, Special Edition DVD of the finished film including special features, and rewards #1, #2, and #3.
Pledge $50 or more
4 backers Limited (6 of 10 left)
For Chicago Locals only! A 22oz bottle of Ellie's Head Hoarder's Pale Ale: a special edition beer by Big Dicks Brewing Company brewed just for the film! And everything else included in reward number 4.
Pledge $75 or more
5. A Personalized Copy of the Premium DVD with special features, signed by the cast, director, cinematographer, and the producers, as well as rewards #1, #2, and #3.
Pledge $100 or more
6. A Personalized invitation to The Cast and Crew Meet and Greet Pre-production Celebration at a local venue, an invitation to the production Wrap Party at a local venue, periodic crew production updates through completion of the film, and everything included in reward #5.
Pledge $200 or more
7. An Invitation for a Special Producers' Set Visit during the filming to watch and/or participate in part of the on-set production of "Ellie's Head" (shooting August 16, 20, 21, 22, 23), and everything included in reward #6.
Pledge $300 or more
8. A Special Edition Production Package for the completed short film "Ellie's Head", including reproductions of pre-production designs and art work, story board artwork, production stills, boring paperwork, and a persoanlized thank you letter signed by the entire cast and crew. You will also recieve everything included in reward #7.
Pledge $500 or more
1 backer Limited (4 of 5 left)
9. A very special Limited Edition reproduction of the "Henry The Head" prop used in the film, hand made by writer/director/designer Peter D Fleming Jr. You will also recieve The Production Package and everything else Included in reward #8.
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (1 of 1 left)
10. The first person to pledge $1000 will recieve the Actual, Original, One of a Kind, Hand Made "Henry The Head" prop used in the filming of "Ellie's Head" after completetion. You will also recieve Executive Producer statis and credit in the film and in all rewards and production packages, and everything else included in reward #8.
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (3 of 3 left)
11. Other people (after the first) wishing to pledge $1000 or more will recieve a different, random, major prop used in the film (to be determined after the film is completed), Executive Producer statis and credit in the film and in all rewards and production packages, and everything else included in reward #9, including the reproduction of "Henry the Head".