An immensely visual film on the life & work of Ski Patrol, Search & Rescue teams, and Avalanche Safety in the Rocky Mountains
Snow Guardians Documentarywww.SnowGuardians.com
Story Outline: An immensely visual documentary on the life and work of Ski Patrol at several Rocky Mountain Ski Resorts as well as the Search and Rescue teams that respond to winter emergencies in the backcountry. The goal will be to capture the hard work and passion of Ski Patrol and snow science experts as they work in challenging, dangerous, yet beautiful locations.
Much of the above trailer was shot durring the last winter season and the beginning of this season. This year has been one of the worst avalanche winters in recent history already claiming 8 lives in the Western United States. We critically need your help to complete the filming and interviews of people effected by these avalanches, and to edit, grade, buy music rights and to finish post production.
The expanded interest in the backcountry has resulted in a growing number of adventurers seeking enjoyment outside a ski resort. The imperfect science of avalanche study and prediction may be the only thing standing in the way of life and death for a growing number of backcountry adventurers. The film will also be a highly educational yet gripping story to help educate people traveling into the backcountry on the science and skills needed to survive.
Visual Goal: Immerse the viewer into the lives of the men and women who take on this challenging high altitude job. Capture the vast natural beauty of the remote and sometimes inhospitable mountain winter that makes the physical and financial challenge of the job worth every penny.
Production Equipment: The documentary will be shot using cutting edge motion control time-lapse systems to help show the beauty and the amazing winter weather in the Rocky Mountains. The crew will use new smaller cutting edge broadcast HD cameras allowing their quick movement and setup in remote locations.
Behind the Scenes: In addition to the documentary, separate behind the scenes videos and still photos will be shot in parallel. The behind the scenes capture will be integrated into daily filming in harsh winter conditions and will be used to highlight the abilities of a new breed of small, digital broadcast cameras, HDDSLR and digital encoding technologies. Blog and twitter updates will be posted on the website, allowing followers to track the progress and learn from the behind the scenes content.
How your money will be used: We are on our second season shooting a documentary about Ski Patrol & Search and Rescue teams with the help of 14 talented filmmakers in Montana. Across the West, there had been 13 avalanche deaths this season as of Feb. 16, and with the boom in backcountry winter sports there is a critical need in avalanche safety training. Our film will provide a much needed overview of the training and equipment needed to venture off the beaten path all while being visually breathtaking enough to entertain all generations of snow adventures.
Because of the heavy avalanche year we are filming interviews of survivors and their rescuers and are in the process of editing over 3.5 Terabytes of HD footage that captured the lifestyle and visual beauty that draws people the rustic mountain lifestyle. The cost to pay editors, visual effects specialists and to license music will be over $22,000 alone.
We were lucky to keep our operating costs down because of the amazing donation of time by our super talented film crew. Now we need your help to contribute. Due to the donation of time you will find this is one of the lowest costing Kickstarter campaign for a HD broadcast quality film.
The project has turned out as an amazing visual compilation of the life and science behind backcountry snow safety. We hope that it will not only be great to watch but provide needed education on backcountry safety to save lives.
Now its time for you to help, your contribution is critical to help us complete the project.
Follow F9photo on Twitter for live updates
HD 1080p Teaser Trailer
Most of the trailer was shot over our fist season of shooting. We are on our second season of shooting. This winter season we focusing on interviews of backcountry experts, survivors and adding avalanche education.
Take a look at the Snow Guardians Teaser Trailer in Full 1080p on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/38270225
pledged of $22,450 goal
seconds to go
Feb 25, 2012 - Mar 26, 2012 (30 days)
Pledge $10 or more
• Signed Snow Guardians Photo PostcardEstimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $25 or more
• Listing on our friends page at SnowGuardians (+ Above)Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $40 or more
• A copy of the Snow Guardians Film once it has been completed and distributed. Final copy will be in BlueRay or HD Digital download depending on the method of distribution selected after the 2012 film festivals. ( + Above)Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $50 or more
• Contributor Credit in Film ( + Above)Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $100 or more
3 backers All gone!
1 MNS1974 CAB Bracket (90 degree Cheese plate) for any Kessler Product.Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $100 or more
• Snow Guardians Coffee Mug ( + Above)Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $250 or more
• Snow Guardians Directors Clap Board ( + Above)Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $400 or more
3 backers All gone!
Arc'teryx gore-tex jacket (your choice) courtesy of Arc'teryxEstimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $500 or more
• SnowGuardians giant 13 x 19 inch limited edition photo print ( + Above)Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $700 or more
3 backers All gone!
• Reward is a brand new Kessler Crane Custom Snow Guardians Stealth Slider - Slider is Custom Engraved with the Snow Guardian Logo and your name or custom text. http://www.kesslercrane.com/stealth-s/141.htm • Snow Guardians Coffee MugEstimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
• Your Name Embroidered on a SnowGuardians Directors Chair • 1 Day NY Street Photography workshop with Guy CalafEstimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $5,000 or more
• Fiscal Supporter Credit in Film • 10 Day use of Montana luxury chef vacation house ( + Above) • 2 day motion control timelapse training by F9photo any wear in the continental U.S.Estimated delivery: Jun 2012
Pledge $10,000 or more
0 backers Limited (3 of 3 left)
• Producer Credit • Direct Input on the edit of the film, and invitation to all Film festivals we take part in as part of the production • 20 days use of Montana luxury chef vacation house ( + Above)Estimated delivery: Jun 2012