List of Features and Game Design Descriptions
The Light of the Darkness is a sidescroller, with elements of action, RPG, platform, exploration and story. Inspired by games like Castlevania, Odin Sphere, and other sidescrollers as ActRaiser. The game is still in development but, has five main features so far:
- "Metroidan" Exploration:
The player have some degree of freedom to explore the environment. There is no "level 1" then "level 2" then "level 3" and so on, but one big environment to be explored. The player can go forth and go back. Choose one way or the others. The need to reexplore the environment is constant as the player acquires new skills that will allow him to explore areas that were previously unreachable. The world is full of mysteries, dangers and challenges.
To explore the environment the player have a range of skills including flying and gliding, pushing things, spells and many items to solve puzzles.
Click here (HD version) and see a example of the level design in the game in HD:
- Evolution based on absorption of essence:
The Light of Darkness is a game based on attributes. These attributes determine a range of skills that is used in the exploration and combat. Evolution of these attributes are done every time Sephius absorbs the essence creatures or structures in the environment like gems.
In the universe of The Light of Darkness, creatures have no blood or flesh, but a vital energy called essence. The essence carries virtually all aspects of a creature, even some memory, knowledge and strength. Sephius can also absorb different types of essences needed for his health and mystical abilities evolution. The types of essences are:
In the universe of The Light of Darkness, creatures have no blood or flesh, but a vital energy called essence. The essence carried virtually all of a creature, even some memory, knowledge and strength. Sephius also can absorb different types of essences needed for health and his mystical abilities evolution. The types of essences are:
- Peripheral Essence: In gaseous form, determines the
health of Sephius.
- Mystic Essence: In liquefied form, allows the player to
perform spells and allows to learn new spells.
- Deep Essence: In solid form, determines Sephius attributes
such as strength, endurance, efficiency and quantity of peripheral and mystical
- Temperate Essences: In gaseous form, temporarily modifies
Creatures and entities Sephius faces also have features based on attributes. The relationship between Sephius´s attributes and creature's attributes determines values like damages, critical damages and so on.
- Use of spells in combat and puzzles:
There is a big role for spells in the The Light of the Darkness, not only in combat but also in the exploration. Like attributes, spells are acquired by absorbing essences. Each type of creature allows Sephius to develop a specific type of spells. Essences of rare creatures can grant more powerful spells or abilities.
The use of spells also influences the appearance of entities in specific places of the environment. For example, an excessive use of fire spells can stimulate the emergence of fire entities. This way the player needs to be more cautious when casting spells, especially in combat, as the game gets more challenging.
Another very important element of the game is the combination of spells. In the game there are weak spells (almost instant cast projectiles), and strong spells (higher damage and area spells are generally slower to be casted). Strong spells are executed through the combination of weak spells. For example, the combination of a breath (air) spell and a fire spell creates a blast of fire. A breath (air) spell air and ice produces a blizzard. Light with ice creates a crystal that can illuminate the scene. Some combinations may not result in anything useful, while others may even result in damage to the player as with the mix of water and lightning. During the game, player has to try these combinations to find what they generally results. There is a whole arsenal of spells that can be developed, with exciting combinations to be discovered as the player progress through the game.
In combat, spells must be used wisely. Each type of creature has different resistances and weaknesses. Some obvious as do not cast ice spell in ice entity, but some are less intuitive.
The spells are also very important in the exploration and in the overcoming of obstacles on the way. Spells have many forms of interactions with environment. You can, for example, freeze water, solidify lava, illuminate dark places, move objects, destroy structures and create platforms.
There are three basic elements involved in the combat in the game: physical attack (sword), mystical attack (spells) and defense (shield). Light of the Darkness have many kinds of creatures. Each creature has its own weak points. Some of them are more vulnerable to spells, others more vulnerable to physical attacks.
The mechanics of physical attacks is simplified for a better flow of gameplay. By default, Sephius has a sequence of three basic attacks (being the last one the strongest) and a special sequence with 5 attacks that can be performed by focusing the sword for a few seconds. There are also special attacks as a "rising strike" and a "slash", which are executed with simple button combinations.
Player can use a shield against creatures who use projectiles or spells and against normal physical attacks. The shield have a level of resilience and may be destroyed if overused.
As the universe of The Light of the Darkness goes beyond the game, the story is very important to enrich the game experience. Voiced dialogues and cut scenes provide context for the events in the game giving a deeper emotional feeling.
In menus, the player may know more about the universe, the creatures and characters that appear on the game. Each item, spell and creature have its own history and relationship to other events in the universe. In the website there will be available more histories that will complement what the player sees in the game.
We are also open for feedbacks, ideas, or anything people would like to see improved or added to the game.
We are trying to produce a video, showing some of these features. We will update here in the future.
pledged of $22,000 goal
seconds to go
Aug 3, 2011 - Sep 12, 2011 (40 days)
Pledge $1 or more
- Exclusive game art wallpapers e-mailed to you for thanking your support!
Pledge $5 or more
- Get The Light of Darkness Game on PC at launch! - Digital package with concept art and illustrations from the game. - Everything above.
Pledge $15 or more
- Get the original sound track! Listen the music theme in the updates section. Fist Episode will have about 7 original songs. We decided to have original songs even in the minimum goal. Backers who have pledge above $15 will get the OST too! - Everything above.Estimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $25 or more
- 1 postcards from 15 beautiful illustrations for you to choose from mailed to you address (Brazil or US shipping included. International orders, please see the FAQ for details). - Have your name in the credits of the game and websites. - Get "Sansico Light" and "Sansico Black" Fonts for you to write your own texts in Sansico Language. - Be eligible to get others episodes of the game at launch (if funding reach necessary cost for each one episode). - Everything above.
Pledge $30 or more
- Get the game design documentation (GDD), handouts and others materials about the game development, projecting, planing and promoting. I like to share the experience we having in all the processes we working in this game. (this reward will be available fist only for Brazilians Students, see the FAQ for more information). - Everything above.
Pledge $50 or more
- 1 poster from 10 beautiful illustrations for you choose from mailed to you address - Exclusive printed world map written in Sansico mailed to you address. (Brazil or US shipping included. International orders, please see the FAQ for details). - Your name on the tombstones inside the game. (See the video) - Everything above.
Pledge $150 or more
9 backers Limited (11 of 20 left)
- Be immortalized by having your face in a statue inside the game! You get to choose your own aspect, white or dark! (Backer need to send a picture of his face so we can use to draw the statue). - Everything above.
Pledge $150 or more
- Be a Beta Tester. Test the game before the launch. -Plus 5 posts cards or Plus 2 posters (Brazil or US shipping included. International orders, please see the FAQ for details). - Special items for you to use in the game! - Everything above.
Pledge $150 or more
Alternative $150 reward. You can get the Printed game box art in place the +2 Posters or +5 Post Cards (Brazil or US shipping included. International orders, please see the FAQ for details). Same others rewards given in $150 reward.Estimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $300 or more
- Have your logo on the Game Menu, Site and Blog with a link to your website - Printed game box art - Everything above.
Pledge $400 or more
5 backers All gone!
- Have your logo on the opening screen with animation! We will produce a video spot (3´´) with your logo for using in the game opening screens! 2D or 3D animation, you choose! The video spot became your after. - Everything above.Estimated delivery: Nov 2011