Contributors from around the world explore the many facets of love, lust, and sexual identity -- by bicycle.
Taking the Lane is a quarterly series of zines about bicycling from a feminist perspective -- not to mention feminism from a bicycling perspective.
BikeSexuality, the seventh volume in the series, features contributions from around the world highlighting a staggeringly diverse range of connections between getting around by bicycle and, well, getting around.
Just a few highlights include:
- A compelling list of reasons to date a cyclist, which also serves as a handy how-to guide
- Bicycling spells the end of a marriage and the beginning of a new life in a quirky, heartwarming coming of age story set in an unlikely midwestern city
- The pitfalls of that cute dating habit of locking bikes together, revealed by Sarah Mirk (author of the forthcoming book Sex from Scratch: Rules for Relationships from People Who Make Their Own Rules)
- A simple guide to meeting your basic needs while on a long bike tour
- Awesome illustrations by Matt Queen
There's more, but you'll have to read it to find out -- and in order to read it, it will have to be funded. The money raised in this project will go entirely to printing, postage, and mailing supplies (with hopefully a bit left over at the end to replenish our yerba mate stash).
Thank you for checking out this project, and for your support. Long live independent publishing ... and all things bicycle!
About the rewards
Here's a little more about some of the rewards, which include past and future entries in the Taking the Lane series, and other publications of Taking the Lane Media.
Several reward levels include an unrelated and totally amazing new book that we are distributing, Women on Wheels: A Handbook and How-to for City Cyclists by prolific fellow women-and-biking blogger April Streeter. It's a thorough and beautifully designed little book that's as useful for beginning riders as it is a pleasurable read for experienced city cyclists.
As for the rest of it, here's a quick guide to our in-print zines (you can also find many of them on my website):
- Pedal, Stretch, Breathe by Kelli Refer: An illustrated how-to zine that helps you make the connection between bicycling and yoga in theory and practice.
- Bikenomics: My zine-sized introduction to the economic benefits of bicycle transportation
In print volumes in the Taking the Lane series:
- #3: Unsung Heroes - interviews with and profiles of an array of inspiring women who ride
- #4: Sexy on the Inside - A history of the Sprockettes, the world's first all-women's mini-bicycle dance team
- #5: Our Bodies, Our Bikes - Our bestselling title, an encyclopaedic tribute to the iconic women's health manual, but about bikes.
- #6: Lines on the Map - Meditations on the emotional geography of bicycling
- #7: BikeSexuality - The volume currently being funded! Help make it happen right here.
- #8 and #9 - To be determined quite soon.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $850 goal
seconds to go
May 16, 2012 - Jun 8, 2012
Pledge $5 or more
A copy of BikeSexuality, mailed to you (please add $1 for international shipping)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $9 or more
Two copies of BikeSexuality, mailed to you (please add $2 for international shipping)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $15 or more
Body awareness bicycling pack: One copy each of BikeSexuality, Our Bodies, Our Bikes, and bike yoga zine Pedal, Stretch, Breath by Kelli Refer (please add $3 for international shipping)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $15 or more
Basic TTL subscription! Taking the Lane volumes 6 to 9 (BikeSexuality is volume 7), mailed to you as they come out. (If you already have volume 6, you can substitute Pedal, Stretch Breathe or Bikenomics -- add $2 for either.) (Add $5 for international shipping.)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $20 or more
BikeSexuality and a copy of the book Women on Wheels: A Handbook and How-to for City Cyclists by April Streeter (please add $3 for international shipping)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $30 or more
Everything in the body awareness bicycling pack *and* a copy of Women on Wheels (please add $4 for international shipping)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $30 or more
Full run of Taking the Lane publications: Includes all in-print issues, #3 through #7 (BikeSexuality is #7), the Bikenomics zine, and yoga zine Pedal, Stretch, Breathe (please add $4 for international shipping)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $40 or more
Full run plus 2012 subscription: Everything in the "full run" level plus the remaining 2012 issues of Taking the Lane (#8 and #9), plus anything else we publish this year (please add $6 for international shipping)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $60 or more
Full run plus 2012 subscription PLUS Women on Wheels book (please add $7 for international shipping)Estimated delivery: Jul 2012