HONK! is a Festival of Activist Street Bands
The HONK! Festival is a revolutionary street spectacle of never-before-seen proportions that will converge for the sixth time in Davis Square, Somerville, MA.
On October 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, activist street bands from all over the world will return to our streets and sidewalks to celebrate spontaneous community imagination, and its power to heal and change the world. No stages or sound equipment, no high-priced tickets or big corporate sponsors, just musicians and friends, strangers and neighbors, crashing into each other's outrageous costumes, irresistible music and commitment to social justice.
HONK! invites everyone to seize the moment. It leaves an indelible mark of hope and inspiration in its wake. So liberating and spontaneous, it's tempting to think that HONK! happens all by itself. But of course, it doesn't. HONK! is a grassroots festival, a proud accomplishment of YOU, the community that supports it.
We need all kinds of help, but our biggest challenge is bringing bands from far away. Bands don't get paid to play at HONK! but most couldn't afford to come if we didn't help pay for their travel.
- Banda Roncati (Bologna, Italy)
- Black Bear Combo (Chicago, IL)
- Brass Liberation Orchestra (San Francisco, CA)
- Brass Messengers (Minneapolis, MN)
- Caka!ak Thunder (Greensboro, NC)
- The Carnival Band (Vancouver, Canada)
- Chaotic Insurrection Ensemble (Montreal, Canada)
- Detroit Party Marching Band (Detroit, MI)
- DJA-Rara (Brooklyn, NY)
- EE – Environmental Encroachment (Chicago, IL)
- Himalayas (New York City, NY)
- Hungry March Band (Brooklyn, NY)
- Leftist Marching Band (Portsmouth, NH)
- Loyd Family Players (Oakland, CA)
- MarchFourth Marching Band (Portland, OR)
- Minor Mishap Marching Band (Austin, TX)
- Original Big Seven Social Aid & Pleasure Club (New Orleans, LA)
- Orkestar Zirkonium (Seattle, WA)
- Pinettes Brass Band (New Orleans, LA)
- Pink Puffers (Rome, Italy)
- Rude Mechanical Orchestra (New York City, NY)
- The Scene Of The Crime Rovers (Durham, NC)
- Seed & Feed Marching Abominable (Atlanta, GA)
- The Springville All Star Marching Band (Springville, NY)
- tint(A)nar (Quebec City, Canada)
- Titubanda (Rome, Italy)
- Veveritse (Brooklyn, NY)
- What Cheer? Brigade (Providence, RI)
We need to raise $10,000 to help bands like these make the journey. Give now, and help HONK! happen!
For more information, please see our official website at www.honkfest.org.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $10,000 goal
seconds to go
Jul 19, 2011 - Aug 18, 2011 (30 days)
Pledge $25 or more
Accessorize your look with a fabulous HONK! button.
Pledge $50 or more
A fabulous HONK! button plus a copy of the HONK! zine "WHAT IS HONK!?"
Pledge $100 or more
A fabulous button, a copy of the HONK! zine, and an official HONK! t-shirt.
Pledge $250 or more
A fabulous button, a copy of the HONK! zine, and an official t-shirt and a HONK! CD from one of our end-of-festival blowout concerts.
Pledge $500 or more
A fabulous button, a copy of the HONK! zine, an official t-shirt, a HONK! CD and an official bootleg copy of the 2010 HONK! blowout concert at the Somerville Theatre.
Pledge $1,000 or more
All of the above items plus the Second Line Social Aid and Pleasure Society Brass Band will play a 45-minute gig of your choosing ("if the cause is true and the time is right", i.e., certain restrictions apply: email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions).