One last thing.
To those who have said that the game isn't unique enough, or that the problem is we're going in the wrong direction, I want to make a statement about why that's simply not true.
First off, our game is as different from Angry Birds and Castle Crusher as Warcraft III is from Age of Empires and Dawn of War. Games evolve, and often they evolve within similar genres. Unfortunately, you get accused of making a ripoff any time you break into a genre that isn't well fleshed out (as Terraria was accused of being a ripoff of Minecraft).
To fault any game for being in the same genre as other games makes very little sense, though.
To the criticism that canceling the project meant we weren't serious about it in the first place: Let me mention that 3% of the funding came from every single one of my friends over the course of 10 days, which left the remaining 97% to be funded by strangers (which 1% of you graciously did). That left another 96% to be done in 15 days, which simply wasn't possible. Calculating for our momentum, that meant we'd have, at best, 10% funded by the time the deadline hit, and that was only if we could attract more strangers to the cause (which I struggled to do day and night when I wasn't designing the game).
The problem isn't other people, correct. The problem also isn't us. The problem is partially that you can't successfully run a Kickstarter without already being a successful person, or without paying money for advertising (which any true start-up can't afford). The problem also isn't our game; if you look at Unemployment Quest, for instance, it has been funded $4,000 already despite the fact that it has been made in a click-together engine called RPG Maker using all the default graphics that come with the engine, with no additional work or effort done except for the promise of chiptunes made on a Gameboy (which weren't even shown off).
The only reason he has made his goal is because Kickstarter didn't know about RPG Maker, they thought he was doing something he put a lot of work into, and featured him. Because of the feature, and despite the fact he's done little to no work, the pledges rolled in automatically. It's all about who's willing to grant you exposure.
Given all this, I think it's pretty obvious that even if the problem was that we didn't try hard enough (which I maintain is very far from the truth), how hard you try clearly doesn't have any noticeable impact one way or the other on the success of your campaign.
Work will continue on the game however, because our ambitions don't begin or end with a Kickstarter campaign.
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
You will receive a free copy of Blasted Fortress when it releases. We plan on selling the game for $10, so this is a pretty good dealio, dude!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
You will be added to the credits as a backer, and get a free copy of the game when it releases.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (3 left of 3)
3 backers pledging this crazy-generous amount will be offered a chance to collaborate closely on the game as we work through beta. You'll basically be a part of the team for 1 week, pitching ideas and brainstorming with us about final changes and additions! You get all previous rewards, too.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)