The performance work of Sins Invalid serves as an entryway into the absurdly taboo topic of sexuality and disability.
Sins Invalid is a San Francisco/Bay Area based performance project that celebrates artists with disabilities, centralizing artists of color and queer and gender-variant artists. Since 2006, our performances have explored themes of sexuality, embodiment, and the disabled body, impacting thousands through live performance.
We’ve consistently heard from people who can’t make it to the SF/Bay Area that they want to experience Sins Invalid. Enter Sins Invalid – The Film.
We are on the verge of completing a 41-minute film that reflects our groundbreaking performance work, weaving interviews of artists and co-founders alongside unreleased performance footage to serve as an entryway into the absurdly taboo topic of sexuality and disability – and we want YOU to walk through that door with us!
Why Sins Invalid? We know that the world of enforced and embodied norms constricts all of us, regardless of where we identify on the spectrums of sexuality, gender, or ability. In this project, people with disabilities are engaging in the wholeness of our bodies and our sexualities. When people experience our shows they are deeply impacted -- not only do people think differently about disability, they leave thinking differently about themselves:
“I am moved beyond words, moved to an emotional state that I can’t quite explain. Thank you for making this space possible!”
“Poignant, moving, REAL.”
“One of the most powerful shows I have been to ever. The creativity and expression and depth literally took my breath away.”
With this film, we can magnify our message that ALL people and communities are beautiful and valuable. Imagine how many more lives and communities would change if people engaged in that simple message!
What We Have and What We Need
We’re in the final stages of production. We are committed to completing the film – so committed in fact that we are donating personal resources to move it forward. As Kickstarter contributors, you know that artists stretch a dollar to make $100 worth of creativity happen. We’re stretching but we still need you to premiere this film!
Your contribution will help lead us through the end stages of film production:
- sound editing and creating music
- correcting the color
- adjusting the titles
- beginning the distribution launch
Our dream is that together we raise beyond our $15,000 goal so that this film is viewed as widely as possible and is accompanied by a educational packets and a speaker in as many venues as possible.
Please share in the truth that beauty always recognizes itself. Be a part of completing a groundbreaking film on disability, sexuality and beauty!!
Below are the bios of a few of Artists working with Sins Invalid:
- Juba Kalamka is most recognized as cofounder of "homohop" group Deep Dickollective (D/DC), development of the micro-label/distributor Sugartruck Recordings, and direction of PeaceOUT World Homohop Festival (2002 - 2007). He received a 2005 Creating Change Award from the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force for his activist work in queer music community. He recently appeared at Life Is LIVE 3 (Berlin, Germany) and is included in the lyric compendium The Anthology of Rap (Yale University Press, 2010).
- Nomy Lamm is a writer, musician, and activist whose work has been featured in magazines, anthologies and onstage across the U.S. She has toured with Sister Spit, the Sex Workers Art Show, and the cabaret showcase Dr. Frockrocket’s Menagerie and Medicine Show. She has released two solo albums (Anthem, 1999, and Effigy, 2002) and co-wrote, co-produced and performed in The Transfused, a post-apocalyptic rock opera about multigendered animal-human hybrids, in 2000. She teaches voice lessons, and is currently working on her first novel, The Best Part Comes After the End. (http://www.nomylamm.com/)
- Leroy F. Moore Jr. is a co-founder and performer for Sins Invalid shows. He is a Black disabled writer, poet, community activist and feminist. Leroy is the author of a spoken word CD and chapbook entitled Black Disabled Man with a Big Mouth & a High IQ, and his poems and articles have appeared in numerous publications. His film-based collaboration with Todd Herman on disability and sexuality resulted in the internationally award-winning work Forbidden Acts. Leroy lectures regularly on the intersection of race and disability and is the founder of the Krip-Hop Project, which produces hip-hop mixtapes featuring disabled hip-hop artists from around the world.
- seeley quest has been actively performing, organizing shows and m.c.'ing around the Bay Area since 2001, and has also featured at the last True Spirit Conference in D.C., at Trans/Giving in L.A., in Vancouver, Toronto, and many U.S. cities and colleges with the Tranny Roadshow.
- Aurora Levins Morales is a nationally known writer whose work has been widely anthologized and taught. She was a contributor to the groundbreaking 1981 collection This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color. Her fiction has appeared in Ms and The American Voice and four collections of Latina/o writing. She is also a frequent contributor to the Jewish feminist journal Bridges. Her first book, Getting Home Alive (Firebrand Books, 1986), written with her mother, Rosario Morales, was hailed as "a landmark in Puerto Rican literature" and "the most important book to come out of the diasporas in a generation." Her most recent books are Remedios: Stories of Earth and Iron from the History of Puertorriqueñas (Beacon Press, 1998) a prose poetry retelling of the history of the Atlantic world through the lives of Puerto Rican women and their kin, and Medicine Stories, (South End, 1998) a collection of essays. Her 9/11 poem Shema was broadcast on Pacifica and other radio stations, distributed online and read at anti-war events and religious services across the country in the wake of September 11, 2001. Her poetry commentaries on the news are aired regularly on Pacific Radio's Flashpoints news magazine. She is currently working on a novel.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $15,000 goal
seconds to go
Jan 16, 2012 - Feb 15, 2012
- First created · 0 backed
- Has not connected Facebook
Pledge $1 or more
You will receive our sincere gratitude and the truth that you are part of a phenomenal project!! You will also receive updates as we complete and launch this awesome film!Estimated delivery: Feb 2012
Pledge $5 or more
You have our deep thanks, updates about the awesome film, and you receive the Official and Ultra-Cool Sins Invalid Sticker!Estimated delivery: Feb 2012
Pledge $10 or more
You will have our deep thanks, updates about the awesome film, the Ultra-Cool Sins Invalid Sticker, and a public THANK YOU on our website!Estimated delivery: Feb 2012
Pledge $35 or more
You will have our deep thanks, updates about the awesome film, the Ultra-Cool Sins Invalid Sticker, a public THANK YOU on our website, and (drumroll please) you receive a DOWNLOADABLE COPY OF THE COMPLETED FILM!!Estimated delivery: Jun 2012
Pledge $50 or more
You have our deep thanks, updates on the awesome film, the Ultra-Cool Sins Invalid Sticker, a thank you on our website, a downloadable version of the film and a DVD COPY OF THE COMPLETED FILM!!!Estimated delivery: Jun 2012
Pledge $75 or more
All of the rewards of partnership listed above plus a SECOND copy of the DVD of the COMPLETED FILM to give to your superhot sweetie, your critical thinking study group, or your best friend who needs to love her body more!!!Estimated delivery: Jun 2012
Pledge $100 or more
All of the rewards of partnership listed above plus the INSIDE SCOOP with a COMPANION DVD with EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE!!!Estimated delivery: Jun 2012
Pledge $175 or more
All of the rewards of partnership listed above plus you receive an archival, pigment ink PRINT FROM A SINS INVALID PERFORMANCE, signed by the artist, Richard Downing, and by the Artistic Director director, Patty Berne. Richard Downing has photographed theatre artists who possess vision and a social conscience for many years, and has documented Sins Invalid since 2007; http://www.richarddowning.com/. Look at the beautiful image on this page to gain a sense of an amazing image you may receive…Estimated delivery: Jun 2012
Pledge $250 or more
All of the rewards of partnership listed above plus you receive an ORIGINAL POEM written for YOU!! Printed on a card and mailed to you by Sins Invalid co-founder, poet/performer Leroy F. Moore (read his bio below).Estimated delivery: Jun 2012
Pledge $350 or more
All of the rewards of partnership listed above plus an invitation to join to the SF/Bay Area PREMIERE of the film!! Sit with us, share drinks with us, and enjoy a night of film and performance!!! (Does not include travel or accommodations)Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $500 or more
All of the rewards of partnership listed above plus -- along with your invitation to the SF/Bay Area Premiere of the film, please come to the MEET & GREET with artists and share your thoughts, ask questions, and share community with the radical and sexy artists of Sins Invalid!! (Does not include travel or accommodation)Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (10 of 10 left)
All of the rewards of partnership listed above plus -- you can experience the artistry of a performer from Sins Invalid – LIVE!!! Several of our performers have agreed to offer their creative muse to a key group of our Kickstarter collaborators (read their full bios to the left): - Singer/songwriter Nomy Lamm will give you SINGING LESSONS - Poet/performer seeley quest will perform SPOKEN WORD at an event or party of your choosing - Musician/Cultural Critic Juba Kalamka will SPEAK to your class or community group on the intersections of race, queerness and performance - Author/artist Aurora Levins Morales will READ and give FEEDBACK on your writing project All of these are available via Skype or live exclusive to the SF/Bay Area.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $2,500 or more
0 backers Limited (3 of 3 left)
All of the rewards of partnership listed above plus -- Sins Invalid folks will SHARE A PRIVATE GOURMAND MEAL with you at either a fabulous restaurant or at one of our homes (depending upon location) and you will have a PRIVATE SCREENING with a Q & A afterward -- wow!!! (Does not include travel or accommodation, within the continental U.S. only).Estimated delivery: Nov 2012