20120524 Ars Electronica, DEAF and Stanford Survey
I hope this update finds you healthy and happy. Summer is coming, and a lot is happening for Protei.
Protei just won the ARS Electronica "Hybrid Art" Honorary Mention! This is a great honour and we will have the pleasure of taking part to Ars Electronica 2012 in Linz Austria (Aug 30th - Sept 3rd).
Protei in currently being exhibited at the DEAF Festival (Dutch Electronic Art Festival) in Rotterdam. Protei_006 -that was made possible thanks to your support- is sitting next to the works of Philip Beesley and Olafur Elliasson, Jae Rhim Lee, Tuur Van Balen, Marnix de Nijs and more (!) until June 3rd. Sebastian (from Berlin) and Cesar (based in London) were happy to gather again with Protei Dutch members Alvaro Takiuti (Brasil) and Piem Wirtz (NL) : team smile !
Protei is also working with a group of students from T/u Eindhoven who are building their own Protei! They did a presentation of their work at DEAF discussion tables and showed us their version of sailing robots :
And the best news is that Protei will continue working with T/u Eindhoven for next year so you will see more Protei coming from the Netherlands - Exciting!
Stanford GEM (Global Entrepreneurship Marketing)
Etienne Gernez and Shah Selbe of Open H2O are working with a brilliant group of students of Stanford GEM (Global Entrepreneurial Marketing) students : they have prepared a little survey for you :) We want to know what you expect from the future Open-H2O.org website - it is your website! What functions you want to see there, how it should look and feel etc? If you leave us your email, there will be one Protei Hoodie to win!
>> Please take part in our 5 minutes survey here : http://protei.org/survey/
For those who identify as übergeeks, we might send you another specific survey about file formats as we are trying to establish our own flavour of Open Hardware documentation. Thanks to your input the new website is coming! We are looking for a Drupal developer ~ by the way :)
What's next? Summer 2012.
This summer is going to be extremely active. We are thinking of you everyday in particular those to whom we have not yet sent the rewards.
- July 2nd -> Sept 13 : Cesar Harada and Gabriella Levine will be working in San Francisco Tech Shop and/or Noisebridge to transform Protei from the prototype stage to a high standard product stage.
- Sept 13 -> Dec : Once we have one perfectly working prototype, we'll look for small quantity manufacturing. Backers will be the first to receive the machines we build then.
Our local groups and members are also taking many initiatives and participating events:
- Berlin : Sebastian Muellauer has been working on setting up a workplace for Protei in Berlin, Germany. The workplace is called Superkubus :)
- Oslo : Etienne Gernerz is half way through building the "Sunshine Factory" which is going to be a place for prototyping and testing Protei in Oslo Norway, by the water - charming place.
- Rotterdam : Piem Wirtz in Rotterdam is active establishing partnerships with local academics and industries, with one potential focus on plastic collection with Protei.
- Brasil : Protei will also participate several events in Brasil with Kasia Molga (PL, UK) : one confirmed is http://cigac.org. The Federal University of Campina Grande (UFCG) promotes from june 13 to 16, 2012, the First International Conference on Collaborative Environmental Management – CIGAC, located and looking towards the Semiarid Northeast Brazil within the theme: “Science and Social Innovation.”
- Turkey : We are still waiting for confirmation, but it is most likely that Protei will be presented at the ITHET conference in Istanbul : http://www.ithet.boun.edu.tr/
There is so much happening for Protei :) Thanks to your help. Wishing you a superb end of week!
Warm grateful regards,
Cesar HARADA, for Protei and Open-H2O
pledged of $27,500 goal
seconds to go
Feb 27, 2011 - Apr 12, 2011
Pledge $1 or more
Insider updates of Protei ahead of public releases on the Kickstarter blog.
Pledge $5 or more
Your name on protei.org as "backer".
Pledge $10 or more
Your name on protei.org as "backer" + a link to your website.
Pledge $20 or more
We send you a black and white instruction manual to build your own Protei.
Pledge $40 or more
We send you a color instruction manual to build your own Protei.
Pledge $70 or more
We send you a color instruction manual signed by the Protei team + Large manufacturing technical prints
Pledge $150 or more
Protei blue hoodie for man and woman. With Protei drawings and logo.
Pledge $275 or more
We send you the raw materials to build your own remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei. The design and functionalities would be similar to the one of Protei002 (http://goo.gl/dWG7p). You will need good DIY skills and your own power tools to build Protei from the raw materials.
Pledge $400 or more
We send you a remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei in KIT to assemble yourself. The design and functionalities would be similar to the one of Protei002 (http://goo.gl/dWG7p).
Pledge $900 or more
We send you a fully assembled remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei that is ready to sail! Batteries included :) + We add you as "editor" on Protei.org + you get a firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pledge $2,000 or more
You get to be in the first group of beta-sailors to control the first full-scale Protei from the web interface + We send you a remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei in KIT.
Pledge $3,500 or more
If you are in the Netherlands, we invite you to sail the first full-scale Protei Prototype from the shore with a remote control + We send you a remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei in KIT.
Pledge $6,000 or more
We add your logo (small) on the first full scale Protei hull that may receive significant media coverage + We send you a remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei in KIT.
Pledge $10,000 or more
We add your logo (large) on the first full scale Protei + your sponsor description on Protei.org + fully assembled and ready to sail 1m Protei