20120322 : Protei_008 and getting closer to a Protei 1m for backers
Long time without updates, my apologies. We've been working hard developing Protei legal infrastructure in the UK and in the USA, and most importantly getting closer to "Protei 1 Meter Remote Control" as "a product" for our dear backers :)
We had a soft wind in Long Beach and Protei_008b "Bubble" was sailing elegantly. Thanks to London.hackspace and San Francisco Noisebridge where Protei_008 was made, Hunter Daniel for filming, Aurelie Vincent for helping the production.
We want to ship you a Protei that works super well, the documentation of a high performing shape-shifting sailing robot, but we still have quite a few things to fix :
- The hull mechanical "springiness" needs to be enhanced. The hull has a tendency to "lock" in extreme bended position. The straight "neutral" position needs to be easier to calibrate dynamically and remotely (as we sail).
- The electronics are too vulnerable to water infiltration through the cables housing : a compartment is being developed as a separate mechanical module.
- We need to find more powerful motors and optimise wire routing.
- Manufacturing technique for the hull, control box, sail for serie production.
- Greener materials : we still use some PVC tubes, polyester resin, and some synthetic foams that are cheap and easy to use but not very green :(
- The hull internal frames that support the boards, sensors, batteries and mechanical parts need to make it easier to upgrade from classical "Protei Remotely Controlled" to an --> "Protei Arduino + IOIO Board / iPhone Interface + Android phone / iPhone", so you can control your protei with your Android / iPhone, collect environmental data with this kind of kit and broadcast them over 3G or the like - Yay!
- Camera mount, so it is easy to add a GoPro or the like on Protei without affecting it's stability and speed.
So we still have a lot to do, but we're making steady progress thanks to your support :) We dream to have a fully functional prototype for a Protei 1m RC this autumn - doing our best. We definitely keep you updated. Shipping to backers should happen a few months after, with a serie manufacturing techniques and greener materials. I apologise again for that we are taking a long time, it is a new technology and we have so much to figure out to deliver you quality.
Protei and education
We're working with several students teams, supervised by Etienne Gernez our Academic Coordinator based in Norway. We have a great team in the Netherlands from TU Eindhoven that recently published on instructables.com, more than 10'000 views! We also recently completed a market research project with Stanford Global Entrepreneurship Marketing with students Elika Mahdavi and Chun Kai Phang that are foreseeing a bright future for Protei in science and environmental education.
Instructables ShopBot 2nd place
Protei_007 by Gabriella Levine just won the second place of the Instructables Shop Bot challenge! Bravo!
Article in "BATEAU magasine"
Again we apologise for delay in sending rewards, we would not want to ship you a Protei that does not work, or the manual of a half-baked technology. We're moving forward thank to your support and we'll keep you updated of major progress made !
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Insider updates of Protei ahead of public releases on the Kickstarter blog.
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Your name on protei.org as "backer".
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Your name on protei.org as "backer" + a link to your website.
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
We send you a black and white instruction manual to build your own Protei.
Pledge $40 or moreYou selected
We send you a color instruction manual to build your own Protei.
Pledge $70 or moreYou selected
We send you a color instruction manual signed by the Protei team + Large manufacturing technical prints
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
Protei blue hoodie for man and woman. With Protei drawings and logo.
Pledge $275 or moreYou selected
We send you the raw materials to build your own remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei. The design and functionalities would be similar to the one of Protei002 (http://goo.gl/dWG7p). You will need good DIY skills and your own power tools to build Protei from the raw materials.
Pledge $400 or moreYou selected
We send you a remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei in KIT to assemble yourself. The design and functionalities would be similar to the one of Protei002 (http://goo.gl/dWG7p).
Pledge $900 or moreYou selected
We send you a fully assembled remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei that is ready to sail! Batteries included :) + We add you as "editor" on Protei.org + you get a email@example.com.
Pledge $2,000 or moreYou selected
You get to be in the first group of beta-sailors to control the first full-scale Protei from the web interface + We send you a remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei in KIT.
Pledge $3,500 or moreYou selected
If you are in the Netherlands, we invite you to sail the first full-scale Protei Prototype from the shore with a remote control + We send you a remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei in KIT.
Pledge $6,000 or moreYou selected
We add your logo (small) on the first full scale Protei hull that may receive significant media coverage + We send you a remotely controlled 1m (3.2ft) long, articulated, inflatable Protei in KIT.
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
We add your logo (large) on the first full scale Protei + your sponsor description on Protei.org + fully assembled and ready to sail 1m Protei
- (43 days)