A few of you have contacted me to check on the project's status so I wanted to reach out and assure that I am still hard at work! My post-grad plans changed--I graduated, moved into a new apartment, and got a new job all within a three week period--and that definitely impacted my timetable. The good news is that these changes (and my continued residence in a city like Chicago) have given me additional time and resources to devote to the project.Now for a couple long-overdue updates...
All the thank you notes and notecards sets are done! I was a little nervous in promising the notecards because you never quite know how much run-off you're going to have or how it's going to turn out. But I think they turned out nice!
I took a pile of 11x17 prints leftover from proofing or my own fuck ups and cut them down while watching too many episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Then I paired them with matching envelopes and tied them off with spare scraps of ribbons. There are no two sets alike!
Backers from the first three tiers (who aren't waiting on a book) should have already received these rewards via snail mail. If you didn't, please let me know! The rest of you will be getting these sometime next month with your books and additional rewards, as applicable.
Which brings me to the books! I've finished the letterpress aspect (the front covers, back covers, and a very limited set of broadsides). The problem has come with printing inside pages--the one aspect I had planned to outsource.
My plan was to hire a local printer to print the these pages double-sided, full color, on off-white paper that has no gloss or sheen to it. Given the aesthetic of the covers (brown butcher paper), the last two points were hard for me to compromise on. I researched and contacted nearly printer in the great city of Chicago, but no one can affordably do this with such a small print run.
After pricing out a variety of alternatives, I've come to the conclusion that it was more cost-effective for me to buy a wide format printer and print them myself. Because you wonderfully generous people helped me not only meet my goal but exceed it, I had the funds to do this! It will cost roughly $100 more but give me much more creative control over the output.
It has however, taken a bit longer. The flat sheet size I will be using is hard to find at all, much less in the specs I need in a local store. Because buying paper online isn't ideal, I bought small test quantities before committing to the full amount. With those allowances made, I'm aiming to have the book finished, printed, and bound by the end of the month. Which means all rewards should be in your hands by early September. Fingers crossed!
Thanks again for you continued support! I promise to share more pictures once I start printing next week.