In the last 10 days...
Hi all –
So, it's been 10 days since the end of the campaign. The project hasn't been funded yet, as Amazon keeps the funds for 2 weeks, and after that Kevin (Airship Ambassador) will be able to access the funds and transfer them up to me in Canada.
So in the meanwhile, I've:
– negotiated with an agent to handle all the myriad inquiries from publishers, licensors, etc.
– met with my lawyer about incorporation, to ensure that as much of the funds remain in the project budget as possible
– met with a tax accountant for the same reasons above, and to ensure maximum transparency and accountability
– met with a potential assistant to help me with the fulfillment
– met with licensing strategist to talk about merchandising and co-op/tie in opportunities
– met with Claire (the marvellous illustratrix) about the dramatic change in scope to the project and to start sorting out project-management details such as budgets and deadlines
– met with a film producer about Wollstonecraft: The Movie
– advised about 40 different kick-starters on their campaigns, and helping to promote a select few
– and, for the fun part, been diagnosed with a muscle tear involving emergency surgery. I got this by carrying my 2 sleeping kids in from the car – at the same time – which was fine when they were 3 and 5 but now that they are 7 and 9 is less of a good idea. So in between doing historical research, I wait for the surgeon to call and find me a slot to have the muscle stitched back together. This will happen in the next few days, and after that it's bed rest (cancelling a NY trip for meetings) – this is not the worst thing that can happen to a writer. Proust spend 3 years in bed. So, really, being sentenced to weeks of no meetings, just staying put with a laptop, is not so bad and ultimately in the best interest of the project.
With all this project management and medical shenanigans, my actual writing time has been sketchy. Once I'm out of surgery, though, it's just a matter of weeks before I finish the first draft of book one and send it off to my editor. After that I'll be contacting all those who pledged to have their children included in the short story, so I can get some details about this cast of characters, and I can move on to the short. This writing will be happening at the same time as the website is being built – there'll be a new domain which I'll post here, and a newsletter option so you can sign up.
Thanks to your support, the world of Wollstonecraft is now my full time job, and I'm so incredibly grateful for the opportunity to reside in and build this world for you and with you.
Thank you all so very much.
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
An e-book copy of Wollstonecraft in the format of your choice: ePub, PDF, Mobi)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
$25 An ebook copy of the book PLUS an autographed cover postcard.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
All the above PLUS an e-book of the steampunk novel "Mechanicals" (a steampunk YA novel of the Crimean War) PLUS a signed "Mechanicals" cover postcard. This is a lot of stuff, but you are awesome and you deserve it.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
All the above PLUS a signed hard-copy paperback version of the book. Please add $10 for shipping.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $125 or moreYou selected
All that PLUS a thank you in the back of the book, PLUS a Wollstonecraft tee-shirt! Available in bamboo and organic cotton in kids' sizes. Please add $10 for shipping.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
20 backers All gone!
The above (ebooks, covers, paperback, thank-you in the book, tee shirt) AND a limited edition signed print of the cover art by the incredible illustrator Claire Robertson (Loobylu)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
LIBRARY SPONSOR & TEACHER'S GUIDE: At this level, the school or library of your choice will receive a three-volume paperback set of the first three Wollstonecraft books when available, and you will receive a 1" bronze pin with an ornate Victorian "W". IN ADDITION as a stretch bonus when we reach $70,000 I will write a teacher's guide to the first 3 books and make the guide available *for free* as a PDF download on the website.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $425 or moreYou selected
LIBRARY ONE TWO FIVE: All the stuff from the $125 Pledge level PLUS the $300 Library sponsor level. By popular demand!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
10 backers All gone!
YOU GET ALL TEH STUFFS! Also, I'll write an additional short story (2500 - 5000 words) set in the world of Wollstonecraft and presenting a character you can name (it can be you or a friend) – I maintain discretion so the name fits into the ambience of the story. The short story will be made available to the whole world for free so everyone can read about your character's adventures. Oh yes, fame and immortality, I gives it to you.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $550 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (19 left of 20)
LIBRARY TWO FIVE ZERO: All the stuff from the $250 Pledge level PLUS the $300 Library sponsor level. By popular demand!Estimated delivery:
- (28 days)