Doing video & audio versions of the book "The Girl Who Had a Big Adventure - Cancer, Chemo & Cupcakes" by 9 year old cancer conquerer
A nine-year-old cancer conqueror Stacia Mers, has written a book about her successful battle over brain cancer. The book "The Girl Who Had a Big Adventure - Cancer, Chemo & Cupcakes" is "written by a kid for a kid" and is now available in print form and will be available in electronic form in November.
The challenge is to get this book into the additional formats of video and audio so that the information is available to people (particularly children) in as many ways as possible to expand the reach of the project and the people educated. Stacia and co-author Jane Freund (me) wrote this book to educate children, families and friends about facing cancer. I am also a cancer survivor, having beaten thyroid cancer less than a year after Stacia finished treatment.
As a cancer survivor, author and publisher, I am bound and determined to use my contacts, talents and skills to make this project happen. I have written and published several of my own and others books. I will use the Kickstarter resources and community as well as my production, marketing and distribution experience to make this project a terrific success!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
This project has four major risks and challenges:
1) Avoiding the self-sabotaging behavior of uncompleted multi-tasking. The devil is in the details and I can get overwhelmed by them if I don't plan carefully. So, I am crunching out the necessary steps to getting the pieces of the project done by looking at each piece as it's own project. For example in terms of the audio book, I am involving an old college friend, also a cancer survivor, who is now a DJ and producer of audio books. She is handling the technical details of the audio book while I work on the promotional part. I play to my strengths and involve others whose strengths are my weaknesses.
2) Building the grassroots support. I know that the world is not waiting for this project to happen and will keep turning regardless. In addition in an "instant world" with the attention span of a gnat, catching and keeping people's attention is a challenge. Besides getting funding, using Kickstarter gives this project a base of grassroots support (in addition to what is done through social media, other media, personal contacts, and word-of-mouth).
3) Getting the product in front of and into the hands of potential customers. As a publisher and author, I have experience doing so with print and electronic books. However, these books are audio and video which are different markets. However, I thrive on new challenges and am excited to be trying these different formats! But again to avoid uncompleted multi-tasking, I am working with people and other resources who have more experience in the audio and visual book markets. As a result, more people get excited about the project and then share what they know AND the project gets done (oh and I get to learn cool new stuff along the way that I can share with others).
4) Getting the product to the more specific target markets. These products are well suited for children's cancer groups and organizations as well as the children, their families, friends and classmates themselves. So contacting hospitals, physicians, social workers, counselors, teachers, children cancer organizations, and families involves gathering those databases and making the product known across social media and other forms of contact.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $2,100 goal
seconds to go
Oct 26, 2012 - Nov 5, 2012 (10 days)
Pledge $20 or more
- One copy of the book in the donor's chosen format (print, audio, video or electronic) - A personal thank you note from the authors.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012Ships within the US only
Pledge $100 or more
- Three copies of the book in the donor's chosen format (print, audio, video or electronic) - Listing as a sponsor on either the audio or video book. - A personal thank you note from the authors.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012Ships within the US only
Pledge $500 or more
- Five copies of the book in the donor's chosen formats (print, audio, video or electronic) - Listing as a sponsor on the audio AND video book. - A personal thank you note from the authors.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
- Ten copies of the book in the donor's chosen formats (print, audio, video or electronic) - Listing as a sponsor on the audio AND video book as well as on the book's social media sites. - A personal thank you note from the authors.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012