What happens when a series of friendly dinosaurs get involved in the boring daily routine of a child? Awesomeness! Of course!
I'm Publishing This Book!
"There's a Dinosaur On My Head" is a 36 page, full-color, picturebook that explores the world of a child whose benign daily routine is upended by the appearance of a series of friendly dinosaurs! I have finished writing, illustrating and designing the book. It is ready for the presses! I am raising funds for a first-run printing of this book in beautiful hardcover.
Why Kickstart this Project?
Authors and illustrators typically rely on big publishers to finance production, marketing, and distribution of their books. Besides diverting most of the hard-earned profit away from the authors and artists, it leads to interference in the creative process and can even result in the death of a great project. Thank goodness for Kickstarter!
Kickstarter is an incredible tool for the independent creative community. It allows consumers to support the entertainment they want to see developed and give the creators the freedom to experiment, take risks, and create great products without anyone else compromising their vision. Allowing us to work this way means we get to make the book we want to make, promote it the way we want, and release the finished product on our own terms.
I want to publish and distribute this book under my own imprint, Torchlight Books. Torchlight Books is an independent publishing company that I created specifically for publishing this and any future books I may do.
Here's Some Pics & Insight Into the Process
Throughout the publishing process, I'll post pics and updates as we progress. If I raise enough to print locally, I'll be touring the printer's shop and will post pics, video and an interview with the printer about the book printing process.
It's written and illustrated by me, James Nichols. I got the idea for this book one afternoon when I was putting my then three-year-old son down for a nap. He balanced a toy stegosaurus on his head and said, "Look Dad! I've got a dinosaur on my head!" I laughed out loud. I couldn't get over the simple humor of the moment.
From there, my meandering creative process took over and a series of sketches I drew for my kids turned into a simple story-line and more complex sketches, which turned into a series of poems about each dinosaur, and finally resulted in finished illustrations of 14 different dinosaurs accompanied by a narrative series of poems that described the child's interactions with each dinosaur.
I included each of my favorite dinosaurs and as the work progressed, they each sort of just injected themselves into each situation in the book. I tried to imagine dinosaurs in situations where I would have wanted to see them when I was a child...
...and hopefully I am able to convey the same giddy, childish glee to the reader that I experienced drawing and writing it!
Funding & Costs: Made in the USA?
The cost to print the first run of hardbound books is $11,900 if I use one of the printers in Asia. But I want to do this whole project close to home to support local businesses in the USA. If I can raise $20,000 or more I will be able use the local printer that I prefer (they cost roughly twice as much). I want to include "Printed in the United States of America" on every copy!
- Really, the best reward we can offer is a copy of the finished product! Every backer that commits $25 or more will receive a signed/numbered limited first-run edition of the book as soon as it comes off the presses. It's 36 pages in full color on 100lb matte paper in hard-cover casewrap binding with a full-color dustjacket. We can't wait to get this awesome piece of work in your hands!
- In addition, we'll deliver Torchlight Books and "I Love Dinosaurs!" T-shirts to almost everyone!
- Higher-level backers will receive a signed and numbered (1-100) limited edition Premium Paper Gicl ée Print of the original artwork of their choice from the book printed in vivid color with exceptional detail on matte heavyweight paper stock, mounted on a 3/8 inch masonite board and ready to hang in a floating wooden box frame, in either black or espresso color.
The more funds we raise, the more we can do: Any extra money will be put back into the project, in addition to being able to use local, USA printing, extra funding could allow development of eBooks, iPad/Android apps, interactive websites and maybe even an animated feature based on the book! The higher it goes, the better it gets for everyone! Of course, hitting each extra fundraising benchmark will result in additional bonus rewards for all our backers! At every level, more funding means higher quality, better marketing and better results for the project! Thank you in advance for your help in exceeding our goals!
Thank you for your support! And as always... READ ON!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Get There's a Dinosaur On My Head in full color PDF sent to your email. And my sincere thanks!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
Get an "I love dinosaurs!" T-shirt.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
5 backers Limited (495 left of 500)
1) A signed and numbered (501-1000 of 1000) limited, first edition hardcover copy of There's a Dinosaur On My Head. *International backers, please add $10 for shipping and handling.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
7 backers Limited (393 left of 400)
1) A signed and numbered (101-500) limited, first edition hardcover copy of the book. 2) A 10 X 15inch print of an original artwork of your choice from the book, signed by artist. 3) Plus receive an "I love dinosaurs!" T-shirt! *International backers, please add $10 for shipping and handling.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (50 left of 50)
1) A signed and numbered copy of the book (51-100 of 1000). With a custom/personalized message from the author. 2) Receive an "I love dinosaurs!" T-shirt! 3) A full-size 24X36inch Premium Giclée artist print of an original artwork of your choice from the book, signed by artist and numbered in limited run. (51-100 of 100) Delivered rolled in a tube. 4) Your name (or business/organization name and website url) will be published on the "Special Thanks, Sponsors, and Partners" pages of the DNSR Media and Torchlight Books websites. I will also link the sites back to yours.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (49 left of 50)
1) A signed and numbered copy of the book (1-50 of 1000). With a custom/personalized message from the author. 2) Receive an "I love dinosaurs!" T-shirt! 3) A full-size 24X36inch Premium Giclée artist print of an original artwork of your choice from the book, signed by artist and numbered in limited run. (1-50 of 100) mounted in floating wooden box frame. (Frame available in Black or Espresso colors). 4) Your name (or business/organization name and website url) will be published on the "Special Thanks, Sponsors, and Partners" pages of the DNSR Media and Torchlight Books websites. I will also link the sites back to yours. 5) Your name (or the name of a loved-one, your business or organization name) will be printed in all copies of the book on the "Special Thanks" page.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)