Soooo, thought we should send an update since things are developing fast in our lives...and we thought maybe you were missing our goofy asses. (and this was on my to-do list before I jump on a plane tmrw...)
Here's KT's latest:
1) She has work recently published or forthcoming in the
following: a special adoptee-centered issue of Asian American Writers
Workshop’s Line Break, curated by
Jennifer Kwon Dobbs, and the anthologies The
Heart of All That Is, Reflections on Home (Holy Cow Press) and The Field Guide to Poetic Playwriting
(Red Metal Press).
2) Katie recently joined the global team of contributors to Gazillion Voices, an online magazine
centered around the adoptive experience, and has accepted a position as Artist
Grants Researcher with St. Paul’s groundbreaking Springboard for the Arts.
3) Upcoming readings include Poetry for Thought
at Groundswell on August 2 and a reading at Blackdog Café on August 20.
Like many others,
Katie was devastated by recent decisions in both the Supreme Court and Florida,
but she feels buoyed by the words of Twin Cities activist and blogger Ricardo
Levins-Morales: “Remember: hopelessness
is an illusion.Intention plus courage
plus clarity is the solution.”
info visit www.katiehaeleo.com.
Sun Mee's stuff:
1) I depart for Korea...uhhh...tomorrow (gulp). Performing at 2013 IKAA Gathering, 2 shows at gorgeous Post Theatre in Seoul. Expected sold-out houses, mostly adult adoptees and adoptive families from 17 different countries. Adoptee friends on the ground in Korea, working butts off to promote. Thank you. If you wanna jump on a plane last minute to join us, do it. I know some of you just bought your tix ;)http://gathering.ikaa.info/en/page/605
2) Yes, perfoming How to Be a Korean Woman at Guthrie this September 2013. Kickstarters from out of town, fly in and see the show! Would love to see/meet you! Tix go on sale August 1st. It will be considered world premiere, with newly composed original kpop music, new story developments, and gorgeous lighting design by MN treasure Mike Wangen! Call Box office on August 1st to guarantee seats:(612)377.2224
They are anticipating the show will sell out. http://www.guthrietheater.org/plays_events/plays/how_be_korean_woman
Star Trib article: http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/stageandarts/213594721.html
3) Sun Mee received one of the Twin Cities' highest theater honors: The Playwrights' Center's 2013 McKnight Theatet Artist Fellowship. She is humbled and overjoyed.
4) Website is finally getting there. Some of the buttons don't work, but that is fitting for my personality (hopefully will work by August, don't have time to fix now): www.sunmeechomet.com Events tab has upcoming shows info.
5) Film version of The Origin(s) Project still in the works. Working on music rights. RCAA was lucky to see the rough cut of it for their event last month. Thanks, Nikki!
6) Congrats to Gazillion Voices for reaching their KS goal. Yay for another MN-bred KS success story! You betcha!
That's it! Sorry so long. I know long updates mostly just get deleted, so hopefully its readable.
Much love to you all....all over the world...and beyond...including Mars....
Sun Mee and Katie