We're half way there!
Wow, we've made it to the half way mark! Actually 56% at this moment. Thanks so much to everyone who has donated! It's really great, not just because it's looking like I will be able to finish the project, but it's also great to know that so many people think that Unlogo is something worth making.
While I have your attention, I have a request if you have a moment. It's come to my attention that a lot of people who see this project (understandably) think that it the only thing that it does is replace logos with the CEOs heads. I'm going to make a new video demo that shows several different modes:
1. Use a technique similar to the Diminished Reality project (http://www.youtube.com/watch...) to "erase" the logos.
2. Blur and/or black-box the logos, like you see in reality television shows. I thought this would appeal to people in the production industry.
3. Replace the logos with a red/blue pie chart that depicts how much the corresponding company has donated to political parties. Or it could be replaced with the country where they are based/the country where most of their merchandise is manufactured.
4. Some other data-driven replacement, such as carbon footprint, as seen on The Real Costs (http://www.therealcosts.com/). I'd like to do something like oil dripping from the logo and interacting with other contours in the frame.
5. Finally, I will demonstrate "The Moustachizer", which doesn't look for logos, but rather for faces. When it finds a face, it adds a moustache to it.
To do this, I need recommendations of movies and music videos that contain particularly egregious product placement. I have a few:
1. The Island (numerous, including XBox, Puma, CK)
2. Cast Away (FedEx, Wilson)
3. Demolition Man (Taco Bell)
4. I, Robot (numerous)
5. You've Got Mail (AOL)
6. E.T. (Reces Pieces)
7. Tropic Thunder (TiVo)
1. 50 Cent - Amusement Park (Vitamin Water, Cadillac)
2. ?? I need more!
So, if you have any ideas, please let me know.
Thanks so much everyone!
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Your name in the README file as a supporter
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Your name in the README plus an "Unlogo" USB drive with the source code of the finished product.
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Your name in the README and 10 Unlogo die-cut stickers so that you can unlogify stuff in your neighborhood.
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
All of the above, plus an unlogo t-shirt. Sure to be a contentious copyright artifact!
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
All of the above, plus I will personally take your favorite movie and use "The Moustachizer" to add moustaches to everyone in the movie. You must own the movie, of course!
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
All of the above, and a set of 12 glossy prints of the best Unlogofied frames from the first round of videos.
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
All of the above, plus we will make a replacement scheme on the website where all logos will be replaced with your face, or another image of your choosing.
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (4 left of 5)
I will come to your studio or home and give a workshop on how Unlogo works and what techniques I am using. You provide travel and accomodation if you are outside of NY.
- (45 days)