The Best of My Time in Goiânia
Well, the time has come for me to head back to Rio and after having a few days of traveling, I was able to think about my time spent in Goiânia and reflect a little bit. I took a trip to a small town about 2 hours away from here which I was told has some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the country. It was perfect and so beautiful. So GREEN! Made me want to go back to painting? I posted a few photos I took.
This trip has been pretty incredible and feel like I have learned a lot during my time here. I am going to miss the people and think this experience was one of a kind. I wanted to share with everyone a list of the memories I will take with me from this trip. Enjoy and thank you for your help, love, and support.
1. Riding up a bumby road in the cerrado to arrive at an isolated pousada (no internet, no tv, no cell phone reception) deep inside an ecological reserve.
2. Taking the metro bus from Praça da Biblia to Praça A while holding a goldfish for a stranger.
3. Meeting Edith Lotufo and conversing with a group of women at the recycling collective in the community. (The group I will be proposing to work with for a Fulbright next fall)
4. Participating in a festival for African month at a public school and teaching students paper techniques.
5. Presenting and conversing with students from UFG Arts Department.
6. Meeting Benvinda and Talisma, my roommates. Strong women who I look up to and feel my experience in Goiânia was so meaningful because of their presence. In addition...witnessing the growth of Talisma's newborn baby girl. I learned how to take care of a baby.
7. Collecting tickets from the bus terminals and conversing with workers at the different terminals about what I was making. By the end I made some new friends that helped me in a big way.
8. Going to a sertanejo concert with my friend Adriana and singing along while watching her cousin perform.
9. Falling in love with my African friends. A new community to be apart of and new countries to explore in the future which include: Republic Democratic of Congo, Angola, Guinea-Bissau, and Cape Verde.
10. Hiking over 3 miles to see a beautiful waterfall in Pirenopolis but realizing I didn't have my wallet and having to beg with the boy at the entrance to let me in the park... I gave him the small amount of change I had..about 1.50 reis. I was short 13.50...
11. Conversing with a 5 year old girl about the different wildlife found inside the cerrado while eating café de manhã.
12. Conversing with a young woman at my local grocery store in English. She spent 2 years living in Boston. Since that first visit anytime she was working I entered her line to talk with her and practice her English. She told me she didn't want to forget how to speak.
13. Purchasing fresh fruits every Thursday at the local market and conversing with a family from Spain that made some of the best pastels I ever ate. Each week I would indulge in two different kinds. One salty and the other sweet. Salty included: cheese, olives, and palmito. Sweet: banana, cheese, and cinnamon.
14. Being complimented that I speak good Portuguese! (something I am still working on but this trip definitely helped me practice!)
15. Walking around the small town of Pirenopolis on a 3 day getaway and being over stimulated by the beautifully colored houses and decorations for the holidays.
16. The ultimate goodbye party which started at 12pm and ended around 3am. Towards the end of the night, I taught a group of about 20 or so Africans and Brazilians the chicken dance..the loved it and it was put on repeat!
seconds to go
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
Hand written thank you note along with your choice of photographs or a detailed drawing from my travels around Goiânia, Brazil.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Hand written thank you note along with a trinket unique to Goiânia, Brazil.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
A mini hand made paper sculpture created out of materials found in Goiania and a hand written thank you!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
Custom made sculpture between 6-8 inches long in height and width and a hand written thank you! (does not include shipping cost)Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)