Lunch Love Community: An Open Space Documentary Project
Thank you “Lunch Love Community” backers for jumping in with us! Sophie and I were talking today about what an amazing experience this is for us as we clear new ground and dig into what I call “Open Space Documentary.” Sounds intriguing, but what is it?
It’s my way of capturing what I want to happen with media projects like this one. I know people like bloggy lists, so here goes one from an upcoming collaborative essay I am writing with my colleague Patty Zimmermann:
Why “OPEN SPACE” For Documentary?
1. It can restore social, human-scaled and local agency in new and unimagined ways. It invites new conversations and behaviors while connecting people. It fights fear with pleasure and fun.
2. It can convene people intentionally around and in real community spaces, offering an experience that reclaims patches of the social media environment from global corporatism.
3. It lives in and evolves through expansive networks, communities and clusters beyond traditional media distribution channels by experimenting with multiple versions and reaching out to contributors across disciplines and generations.
4. It invites media makers and exhibitors to become “context providers” rather than “content providers,” reframing the more fluid movement and interconnections across disciplines and boundaries.
5. It encourages attention to micro-territorial media ecologies where different dialogues, practices and dynamically shifting elements will engage both convener and participants in unanticipated ways.
6. It acknowledges and works within a permeable space in which collaboration, contingency, horizontality, adaptability, decentralization and the migration across media platforms occurs frequently and with force.
We only have $3,000 to go and reach our goal... Please pass this link on to your friends and ask them to become backers of Lunch Love Community tonight. Every amount counts, and it is tax deductible.
Become part of our community and help us close the gap to make new and different kinds of documentary work!
Helen De Michiel
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
A package of native California seeds ready for growing your own edible schoolyard.
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
One of our favorite recipes from the cafeteria.
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
A signed 2010 School Lunch Year Calendar, beautifully designed by the artist Terri Hill, and filled with great recipes that have been tried and tested to be kid friendly, easy to prepare, nutritious and delicious.
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
Signed DVD of the completed Open Minds Open Mouths film.
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
A tour and lunch with the team at the state-of-the-art Dining Commons at Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Berkeley. Or a signed copy of Chef Ann Cooper's “Lunch Lessons” book.
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
A personal catered meal prepared for your group or family of four by the chefs of the Berkeley School Lunch Initiative.
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
Receive all of the above plus an Angel Producer credit on the media campaign and on the completed documentary.
- (89 days)