port cities - a global theater project linking five cities (NYC, Cape Town, Jakarta, Perth and Amsterdam) connected through history.
The Grand Plan Odyssey!
Over the course of approximately 5-7 years, award-winning visual theater-maker Talya Chalef will devise five port cities performance events around the world in collaboration with local and international artists.
Each port cities performance will contain the same elements:
- a non theatre performance space
- a projected video montage sequence depicting ‘movement’ particular to that city
- an exploration into that particular city’s connection with Dutch trade route history (and its own location on the route).
Local myths, legends and folklores will be explored against the backdrop of current contemporary issues affecting each city. The port cities performance events will be available online on a port cities website allowing participating cities to interact and reflect on the project as a whole. At the end of the journey, the sum of the five cities will be compiled into a DVD documentary available for each city's host festival/organisation to keep as a performance in ‘five movements’ like an opera.
port cities - nyc: April 28th-30th, 2011, 7pm, FREE!
We have begun our adventure in Brooklyn, where else?! And we've been given the amazing Waterfont Museum barge to perform in. Over the next five weeks we will continue to devise an original 60 minute theater piece, which will involve:
- incredible film footage by film maker Joe Pickard
- beautiful sound design by Kelly Ryall
- striking lighting design by Greg Goff
- a team of fantastically talented actors
- a journey for the audience across the New York harbor
- and an adventure into Red Hook
- Actors: Corey Allen*, Tracy Park & Jeri Silverman
- Director/Deviser: Talya Chalef
- Sound Design: Kelly Ryall
- Lighting Design: Greg Goff
- Dramaturge: Meropi Peponides
- Film Footage: Joe Pickard
- Film Editing: VivianVincho Nchogu
- Producer: Matt Kagen
- Movement Dramaturge Consultant: JK Fowler
- Project Adviser: Anne Bogart
*Actor appearing courtesy of Actors' Equity Association
But we need your help....
Your donations will go towards the costs of hiring out the barge for rehearsals and performances. This is a workshop production where we hope to gather everyone's feedback and ideas towards premiering the work.
Do not miss this environmental event that promises both adventure and an aesthetic journey. Anne Bogart
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $2,500 goal
seconds to go
Mar 23, 2011 - Apr 23, 2011 (30 days)
Pledge $20 or more
VIP seating at a Port Cities NYC performance of your choice in on April 28th-30th
Pledge $50 or more
A limited edition Port Cities NYC Poster signed by Talya and the creative team
Pledge $150 or more
New York Water Taxi Sunset Photos taken by Talya
Pledge $250 or more
A Dutch Trade Route Provisions Package, which includes Fine and Raw sea salt chocolates, McClure pickles fantastic bloody mary mix. You never know when your next meal will be on the high seas... www.fineandraw.com www.mcclurespickles.com
Pledge $500 or more
All of the above, plus a VIP pie date with Talya and the team at Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pie's in Red Hook. We went to Steve's after our first rehearsal, and we can't.stop.eating.them.