A compilation of vignettes that span seven generations, five couples, three languages, and two countries to arrive at one moment.
The film clips used in video have not been color corrected.
The production update:
We've cast the roles!
We've locked in our location!
We've crewed up! We have partnered with the VCU film program to fill in our non-key roles: http://arts.vcu.edu/cinema/
Please help in anyway you can, we just need to raise the final portion of our budget!
This is Lukas Huffman, the writer and director of FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER reaching out. I’ve launched a kickstarter campaign to fund the last vignette in the series I have been working on for the past four years!
FIVE WAYS is a collection of five short movies beautifully shot on 16mm film. (You don’t hear that any more.) Each vignette features a different age couple, in a different city, all grappling with the same emotional moment: romantic disconnect. The entire film spans seven generations, three languages, and two countries to provide a universal story, which calls upon cultural nuances to create the drama. The film will be completed in January of 2012 and then shown on the 2012 international film festival circuit.
Before we go any further, I would like the project to speak for itself. So, please watch these to see the quality of work we achieve:
FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER #2; BUCHAREST, ROMANIA
FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER #3; CHINATOWN
FIVE WAYS TO LEAVER YOUR LOVER #1; BROOKLYN is shot on location in the gritty streets of BK and features a teenage couple struggling with the awkwardness of a high school crush.
FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER #4; BRIGHTON BEACH is in post-production right now. You can see clips of this bombastic short in our kickstarter video. This vignette tells the story of a Russian family battling it out during a picnic. This will be available for viewing on kickstarter by Halloween!
What now? FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER #5; RICHMOND, VA.
I am in pre-production to shoot the final segment in Richmond, Virginia. The climatic vignette is written by Rebecca Taylor. She is a Richmond resident, my good friend, and a Columbia University MFA in creative writing. Her writing has appeared in The Believer, Love Among the Ruins, and Columbia University’s Quarto.
The story features a 70yr old couple whose life-long love is threatened by the memory loss of Alzheimer’s. The script is so beautiful and poignant, and is the perfect way to finish our all-encompassing film about “ways to leave your lover.”
The great news: This shoot is the easiest to produce. Nobody needs to fly to Romania. (I won’t lose any teeth… see the rewards for more on that.) We don’t need to translate the script into Russian. Key crewmembers are in place, and casting is well underway. We are currently scheduling the shoot for two days in Richmond during the last week of November. The only thing missing is financing for the material costs of the shoot.
I am trying to raise $4,500 by November 25th, 2012.
This figure will cover:
- Purchasing and developing 2400” of film.
- Camera rental (Aaton XTRplus) and equipment.
- Lighting equipment.
- Minimal grip equipment (we will have a dolly).
- Minimal day rates for key crew members.
- Food for cast and crew.
- Transport to and from set.
Why do you want to be involved?
For instant gratification, see the rewards chart. There is some super fun and unique opportunities we are offering to you.
Most importantly, you can get behind a film that is going places. My collaboration with global filmmakers has opened up audiences all around the world. Additionally, the multi-lingual script is drawing attention from international festivals. (I pre-released FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER; CHINATOWN at New York’s premier LGBT festival NewFest. We got rave reviews and the vignette is now in consideration by Torino, Italy’s GLBT Festival, and Toronto’s InsideOut Festival.)
By supporting this project you are getting behind a quality of filmmaking, which is defined by integrity. This is seen in the choice to shoot on 16mm, the honesty of the scripts and in the heartfelt performances. This combo will turn FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER into a gem on the 2012 festival circuit. Thanks for your support!
- Lukas Huffman
PS, thanks to the staff at Highfield Hall in Falmouth for letting us shoot my interview there.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
- First created · 0 backed
- Has not connected Facebook
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
You’ll receive an online, early-release link to FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER #5, Richmond, VA. This will be launched in February 2012. This is for mega-exclusive insiders. You’ll be seeing the finished FIVE WAYS #5 short film before it hits the festival circuit.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
- You get an early release of the complete FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER DVD. It will be in March of 2012. That's right: Brooklyn, Bucharest, Chinatown, Brighton Beach, and Richmond all in one tight story. - You’ll also be thanked in the credits. - (And you get the link for FIVE WAYS #5.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
- You get an exclusive link to the missing teeth story. Teaser: Lukas was on location shooting FIVE WAYS #2 in Romania. "Something" happened, there was a late-night hospital visit, and a really weird dental surgeon. He was put on the plane with two teeth missing and one shattered to the roots. You’ll get a password-protected link to Lukas telling this production gem. It’s gonna hurt. - You’ll also be thanked in the credits. - (You also get the DVD and early-release link to #5.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
- You will get an ORIGINAL SHOOTING DRAFT of the FIVE WAYS #5 script. Lukas is saving all the printed drafts from FIVE WAYS #5. Yours will be folded, written on, cried on, ripped and dramatized. Each seven-page script is one of a kind. This is a true production artifact. - (You will also get a link to the tooth story, the DVD, and the early-release link to FIVE WAYS #5.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
- You’re the EXECUTIVE PRODUCER!! You will receive an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER credit in the film. Festival audiences all around the world will see your name on the screen. - (You will also get a link to the tooth story, the DVD, and the early-release link to FIVE WAYS #5.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
- You’re the WRITER and DIRECTOR of FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER!! Well, not really, but we will produce your mini-film. This is how it works: You send Lukas one line of dialog for each actor of FIVE WAYS #5. (It has to be clean and respectful to our 70yr old actors.) Then we shoot your lines on 16mm film. We have already scheduled time on set to roll camera on each character. Next, we expose your film, sync the dialog and cut it to dramatic music. We will send you a link to the mini-film you directed. Imagine your own film shot on luxurious 16-mm film. When the credits roll: “Written and directed by Your Name Here.” The link will be for your personal distribution! - (Executive Producer package, along with links to the tooth story and the early-release FIVE WAYS #5 link.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
4 backers Limited (3 left of 7)
You are a CREATIVE COLLABORATOR and Writer / Director. This is limited to individuals willing to travel to the Richmond, VA and NYC area. As a CREATIVE COLLABORATOR you will attend a private screening of the entire FIVE WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER film accompanied by director Lukas Huffman and writer of FIVE WAYS #5 Rebecca Taylor. The evening will be complimented by Rebecca giving a short dramatic reading of her work. There is one event scheduled for an undisclosed-tasteful location in NYC, and one in Richmond, VA. Lukas and Rebecca will bring the booze and be ready for lots of talking. This is their specialty. - (You also get the writer/director, Executive Producer packages, along with links to the tooth story and the early-release FIVE WAYS #5 link.)Estimated delivery:
- (41 days)