I will be in a show for emerging artists in New York next spring. When you help me raise $4500 to do it, you'll receive original art
When I started this project two weeks ago, I imagined barely squeaking over the finish line. Now I'm funded just fifteen days in. You can still back the project, I feel really strongly about using kickstarter as a motivation for artists to focus on their goals. Any funds in my pool that I do not use for my NY11 trip, I'll re-invest in worthy projects here. Also, the rewards are going to be fantastic, check out some of them in the Updates section.
I am focused on growing my art practice, and I've been invited to participate in a juried show featuring emerging artists in New York this March. The show is called The Artist Project New York, and I need to raise $4,500 to get there.
My artwork focuses on colorful geometric forms drawn on the wall in tape or paint. Each piece is unique to its environment. As part of this work, it's been exciting to find new ways to bring people closer to my work - since the work is installed in a person's space, there is collaboration. I've been very fortunate to be part of many small events and shows in Chicago, including Chicago's great Salon Series (http://www.thesalonseries.com). The Artist Project in New York will take place in March of 2011, in conjunction with the Architectural Digest Home Show. This event will present a new opportunity to reach a large and influential audience. Kickstarter is a new way for me to bring people closer to my work, and to reach my goal to fund my participation in the Artist Project. The rewards are structured so that participants at each funding level will receive a meaningful piece of original artwork. And at the higher tiers, you’ll actually receive an artwork similar to what I’ll present at the show in New York. Over the course of the funding timeline I’ll update backers on my progress and any news.
Making the video you see above helped me understand how much I'd have to learn to make this project a success. It was ultimately really rewarding to think through my message, and to craft a video that effectively delivers my message and helps you understand the work that I do.
Thanks so much for your consideration, there are a lot of great kickstarter projects out there. Take a look at the big green button on this page. It says "Back this Project". It's really easy.
Thanks, - Alex
Featured in the video above:
- My desk. I sit here when I draw. I made this desk a couple of years ago. Features such as side wings, and a backsplash really help. I think it's 36" high. Lots of surface, and very steady.
- My awesome radio (crosley, Target, surprisingly reasonable).
- Lamps - task lighting is so completely essential if you're going to be drawing a lot.
- Drawing gear: Derwent Graphics pencils, Staedtler erasers, a c-thru plastic ruler (half-grid, six inch), and Micron black .05's.
- Pay little or no attention to the sketchbook I'm using, frankly I've only had this thing for three years, and it's falling apart. I've had to repair it twice already. I'm replacing with something sturdier and something that lays flat better. Open to suggestions.
- You'll see me tearing down an old tape drawing (this is the orange drawing). One of the reasons I started drawing with tape is that I can create many large-scale drawings very quickly.
- Copying a drawing from my sketchbook to the wall, using a Stanley carpenter's bevel and chalk pencils (not sure what brand, I've only been working with them for a year so I'm not particularly bonded to one brand).
- Creating a tape drawing using artist's tape and a Stanley utility knife (which is waaaay better than any of the knives I've used up till now)
- I shot this on a Flip HD Ultra 4gb.
- The music is mine.
The still photo above is by Jim Luning, a fantastic photographer. Go to http://luningphoto.com/
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $4,500 goal
seconds to go
Nov 20, 2010 - Dec 20, 2010 (30 days)
Pledge $1 or more
My eternal gratitude. Delivered soon after you pledge.
Pledge $5 or more
A small, titled drawing of a word. These are actually awesome. Delivered soon after you pledge.
Pledge $20 or more
Handmade, screenprinted postcard. One of five designs. Delivered soon after you pledge.
Pledge $50 or more
Three handmade, screenprinted postcards. Three of five designs. Delivered soon after you pledge.
Pledge $100 or more
A handmade, 9"x12" screenprint. One of three designs. Delivered soon after you pledge.
Pledge $250 or more
Three handmade, 9"x12" screenprints. All three designs. Delivered soon after you pledge.
Pledge $600 or more
1 backer Limited (3 of 4 left)
Custom tape drawing installation. Delivered soon after the project is fully funded.
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (2 of 2 left)
Custom permanent installation. Delivered soon after the project is fully funded.
Pledge $1,500 or more
0 backers Limited (3 of 3 left)
Custom permanent installation, large enough to need a ladder. Delivered soon after the project is fully funded.