Two astrophotographers travel the southwest desert capturing images of the cosmos and nighttime landscapes to create a book.
- The $100 reward will now include one (1) 8 x 12 inch print of your choice from 4 images!
- The $150 and $200 pledges will get to choose their reward prints from these 4 images as well.
- The additional (you choose 1 of 4) 8 x 12 inch reward print applies to all rewards receiving hard covered books ($200, $300, $500, and $1000 reward levels).
This addition, of course, also applies to everyone who has already pledged at these levels. The option to be surprised always remains for those of you who would prefer not to choose your print(s).
The Dark Sky Tour
For the last two years, we (Nick & Scott) have been taking road trips which we call "Dark Sky Tours." During these road trips we photograph the sky using both regular tripods and also our 8 inch telescope. We have taken numerous images of galaxies, nebulae, star clusters, the sun, the moon, sunsets, sunrises, night time landscapes, and more. We also like to make time lapse movies of the moving sky. We usually choose the southwest desert for our destination not only because it provides very dark and clear skies, but also because we both love the vastness of the desert, and the almost eerie stillness that the desert brings at night.
For this year's Dark Sky Tour, we would like to make an archive of our journey in the form of a high quality 11" x 8.5" hard covered coffee table book. Our book will be printed on premium paper, and feature a lay flat binding so we can seamlessly display images across two pages. We hope to include 35 of our best images, which would make the book 70 pages. There will be an initial first printing of 50 limited edition hard covered books, and a standard hard covered edition will be available as well. Other rewards include prints, postcards, a 9" x 6" soft covered version of our book, a DVD featuring any time lapse videos and images that we make during the tour, etc.
We have been through a lot of these areas before, and so we know where to go, and what images we're capable of getting. The planned route is subject to change if weather problems arise. We need (mostly) clear skies! Starting and finishing in San Francisco, a rough structure of our route is as follows:
- (B) St. George, UT - The huge red rock mountains and cliffs in this area make for awesome backdrops of Milky Way and sunset/sunrise images, especially in and around Snow Canyon.
- (C) Coral Pink Sand Dunes, UT - This campground in the middle of nowhere is surrounded by red rock mountains and amazing coral pink sand dunes! At 6,000 ft. above sea level, we are really looking forward to getting great images both through the telescope and on a tripod!
- (D) Death Valley, CA - Death Valley has some seriously dark skies, and there is also some great time lapse potential due to the many moving shadows from the mountains at sunset/sunrise. We had a brief encounter with Death Valley last summer, and can't wait to go back!
- (E) Mahogany Flats overlooking Death Valley, CA - This campground in the middle of nowhere overlooks Death Valley at an altitude of 7,000 ft above sea level! These high altitudes make for excellent images of the sky through the telescope!
- (F) Amboy Crater, CA - The time lapse at the bottom of the "Past Work" section was taken at Amboy Crater. This place is a public land campground in the middle of nowhere in southern California. It is just off of the old Route 66. We hope to remake this time lapse, but this time we want it to go all the way from sunset to sunrise! Also, like every other location along the way, Amboy Crater has some extremely dark skies, and a stillness at night that hasn't been matched anywhere else yet during our adventures!
- And random points along the way. - We have the freedom to change our route to seek good weather and/or explore interesting places along the way.
We plan on going on this Dark Sky Tour whether or not this project gets funded. With the help of Kickstarter, our goal is to create the book! Your contribution will go towards that goal, and we hope that you will enjoy the rewards that we will work hard to bring you. All levels of contribution will get a link to a blog that will be set up to follow our trip as well.
We have been doing photography as a hobby for 10+ years. We have been taking images through the telescope for over 3 years. Below is a sample of some of our past work, which is also featured on our website symmetrybreaking.net.
We want to thank you for your support in helping us achieve this goal! We promise to deliver a high quality coffee table book with unique images that will last for years, and to never forget the value of the Kickstarter community that helped us achieve our goal!
Scott & Nick
Yes, we will gladly sign the hard covered books if you'd like!
We hope to put 35 images in the book. Since we are using a lay flat binding that takes two pages for each image, the hard cover book is expected to be 70 pages. The hard covered book will be 11" x 8.5".
pledged of $5,000 goal
seconds to go
Jun 28, 2012 - Aug 2, 2012
Pledge $10 or more
A postcard featuring one of our images from the trip.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $20 or more
One (1) 8 x 12 inch print from the trip + a postcard.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $30 or more
1 DVD featuring all of the time lapses we create on the trip + a postcard.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $50 or more
1 Softcover version of our book + the DVD + a postcard.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $75 or more
Three (3) 8 x 12 prints from our trip + the softcover book + the DVD + a postcard.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $100 or more
22 backers Limited (23 of 45 left)
1 Hardcover Limited Edition (1 of 50) book + the DVD + a postcard + a credit in the Thank You section on the DVD.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $150 or more
Three (3) 12 x 18 prints from our trip + the DVD + the softcover version our of book + a postcard.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $200 or more
1 Hardcover (Standard Edition) book + the DVD + a 16" x 24" print + a postcard + a credit in the Thank You section on the DVD.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $200 or more
A 16" x 24" Canvas print of an image of your choice from the trip + the DVD + a postcard.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $300 or more
1 Hardcover (Standard Edition) book + a 16" x 24" Canvas print of an image of your choice from the trip + the DVD + a postcard. + a credit in the Thank You section on the DVD.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $500 or more
1 Hardcover (Standard Edition) book + a 24" x 36" canvas print of your choice from the trip + the softcover version + the DVD + a postcard + a credit in the Thank You section on the DVD.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (5 of 5 left)
1 Hardcover Limited Edition (1 of 50) book + the softcover version + the DVD + a framed 24" x 36" print or canvas print of your choice from the trip + a postcard + an Executive Producer credit on the DVD + a special thanks in all three versions of the book!Estimated delivery: Sep 2012