Our manufacturer has had a number of highly unusual problems that interrupted production, as well as some of the more expected problems making a new product. The good news is that they're worked out, and they've been cranking away. The bad news is that means we didn't get them all shipped out last week. However, the majority of them are being driven the 102 miles from the manufacturer to me right now, and we will ship them today. Hopefully, the rest will go out through the week, although we don't know the daily yields from production yet. I'll keep you posted. Apologies for the delay!
If you're curious, I've listed out what these manufacturing problems look like below.
1) Mr.Ghost was inconsistently warping as it cooled coming out of the mold. The core stays molten from the plastic injection, but the outside doesn't. Because the product cools unevenly, it will warp to one side or the other.
- Corrected by having to mill cooling jigs for Mr.Ghost to hold it straight while cooling.
2) Mr.Ghost looked like it was running fine, but on testing, the electronics were failing at a high rate (after previous batches had been fine). After quite some investigation (by cutting open Mr.Ghost), the manufacturer found that one of the main solder joints was breaking.
- Corrected by re-soldering all of the electronics with a higher surface area method.
3) Mr.Ghost now looked great, and the electronics were testing with very high success rates. Ran a large batch. Instead of testing using the test equipment, plugged it into an iPhone and...wait...it didn't fit into the iPhone. The new soldering method had slightly melted the insulator ring in 75% of the produced units so that it couldn't fit in an iPhone anymore.
- Corrected by throwing out bad units, and changing the soldering process to conduct less heat to the TRRS connector.
4) Which brings us here! Good looking units that work great, but require a little extra TLC to make.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Get a thank you email!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Get a digital download of MP3's of various household appliances' EM fields in audio format. You could remix them into a weird electronic soundscape.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
The Mr.Ghost EMF detector in white color. Shipped to you as soon as we can!Estimated delivery:Add $7 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $22 or moreYou selected
The Mr.Ghost EMF detector in covert gray color. Shipped to you as soon as we can!Estimated delivery:Add $7 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $24 or moreYou selected
The Mr.Ghost EMF detector in sexy red color. Shipped to you as soon as we can!Estimated delivery:Add $7 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
200 backers All gone!
Early bird Mr.Ghost EMF detector. You get one Mr.Ghost antenna for iPhone, shipped via first-class mail on or before December 19th. This should get it to you by or around Christmas so you can either horde it or give it to someone as a gift. White color only. Note: This is dependent on you getting your address information to us very promptly after the close of the project. We'll send you a survey.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
The Mr.Ghost EMF detector in juicy orange color. Shipped to you as soon as we can!Estimated delivery:Add $7 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
Custom EMF detector with a 50 foot solid core wire antenna. Probably only marginally more sensitive, and extremely impractical. I just wanted a higher reward than $25.Estimated delivery:Add $30 USD to ship outside the US
- (20 days)